spawn point problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

madmoo

elite parkour ninja
Jan 29, 2006
when i place a player start and or a spawn point they always die! no mater were i put the spawn or player start they still die. i altered some of the options and still they die. non of my maps work!
this is probly a repost but hay what cha guna do.

pseudosafari

Feb 16, 2004
Have you rebuilt your level? If you havent rebuilt and click the playtest button you'll die upon spawning

madmoo

elite parkour ninja
Jan 29, 2006
ive made remade and made again.
an i still die even when i click on the test map

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Is it under the Zkill zone? (the red bar from the Front and Side Viewports)

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
madmoo said:
Are you using UnrealEd 2? I'm guessing you are since you mentioned the SpawnPoint actor, which I don't think was included in UT2004. If you're working with UnrealEd 2, then Kantham's advice about the KillZ doesn't apply. If you're using UnrealEd 3, though, you need to check that and give us a more conclusive answer than "dunno."

If you're working with UnrealEd 2, make sure you're using PlayerStarts and not SpawnPoints (you mentioned both). A SpawnPoint is used for spawning monsters, not players.

Also, this may sound stupid, but make sure that you're placing your PlayerStarts inside a subtracted space, and not off in some inaccessible area somewhere.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
I hope you think EVERY map should have 16 playerstarts.Even if its a 1on1 map, but think if you pick 3 bots and you but put in 2 player starts, 2 are gonna die from spawnkills automaticaly.

If you have things inside a subtract brush (yello lined) and no high up spots or placed in lava everything should work.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
neilthecellist said:
I second Red_Fist's advice. The more PlayerStarts you have, the less probability of instant spawn-deaths. But 16 is a little...er, extreme...

I allways fit 16 in but yes 8 at a minimum for sure,try fitting 32 in for bigass maps like ONS or huge things.

madmoo

elite parkour ninja
Jan 29, 2006
1 i dont have 2004 so no ons maps
2 i made a big cube and every spare point hade a player start
3 i terned all the bots off so i was in there on my own and i still died
4 i can use 2003 if i want but i prefur 99
5 all my playerstars are inside said cube

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
I don't know what to make of that, madmoo. Please zip up your map and attach it to a post in this thread, so I can take a look.

madmoo

elite parkour ninja
Jan 29, 2006
this is a simple 1. some close to ground some in air. soz bout some of them faceing walls but i did it in bout 2mins. oh and the scin is horible. be warnd minus scores are compulsery!

Attachments

• spawning problem.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 6

pseudosafari

Feb 16, 2004
I opened your map up in the editor and found the problem.

When you make a new map (or any adjustments with additive and subtractive brushes I think) you've got to click "Rebuild Geometry" under the Build heading on your top menu. If you don't do this the map will kill anyone instantly as they spawn.

It helps me to think of the build settings as a way of making your collection of boxes and other random geometry compatible with Unreal Tournament itself. Without rebuilding all you have is a level that can be looked at in the editor and isn't really playable. The other build functions (lighting, paths etc.) are what you use when you want to update or finalise what you've done in that aspect of the map. But I'll stop now as I think this is getting a bit waffly and I'm a bit of an amateur myself.
I hope that solves it for you..?

and Parkour is great :) !

Ironblayde

Director of Misanthropy
Feb 24, 2004
madmoo, rebuilding was the very first thing someone told you to do in this thread, and you said that you'd done it, although you obviously hadn't. What were you doing wrong?

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Ironblayde said:
madmoo, rebuilding was the very first thing someone told you to do in this thread, and you said that you'd done it, although you obviously hadn't. What were you doing wrong?

Hmm.I assumed he was rebuilding all along.:eek:

last note.
putting the stuff in for the map is like a bunch of numbers for a calculator, when you hit "BUILD ALL" it's like the equals button and addds up all the numbers for a total map.

madmoo

elite parkour ninja
Jan 29, 2006
i actualy rebuilt all the maps to the milameter by hand instead of hiting the buton. did the rong thing.
thanx guys 4 all the help!!
if its ok im going to post a map 4 2003 that has viaclesl. its the test 1 in the main pack but this 1 has bot pathes, so if you help me make it beter befor i post it proply it would b gr8.

madmoo

elite parkour ninja
Jan 29, 2006
soz i will have to post it as a map.
but what is the best ftp thing to post on that i dont have to pay for? what do you use?