Quacklive.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
IMO, Quake 3 had a more satisfying to use base weapon set than UT2004's and the movement goes well with the weapons.

But that's where the pluses end for that. UT2004 has more weapons, a flexible menu system, blah blah blah, ...

UT2004 should be better than Quake 3 and UT in a lot of respects - it came out nearly five years after them and was two generations ahead if you consider UT2003 to be it's own generation in the arena shooter genre.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
UT2004 should be better than Quake 3 and UT in a lot of respects - it came out nearly five years after them and was two generations ahead if you consider UT2003 to be it's own generation in the arena shooter genre.
Sorry to reply so incredibly late but I kinda forgot about this thread for a bit. :lol:

Anyway. Even if you just considered UT instead of UT2004, the list I gave still stands. While a good game, Quake 3 just didn't have what it takes to stand toe to toe with UT.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I'm not sure that's true. Quake 3 was the more commercially successful.

I also personally found it to be the more polished game; the weapon set may have lacked the nuance of UT, but overall it was more coherent and better balanced. Concidentally, I felt the same way regarding Quake 2 versus Unreal ;)

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
That's what Team Arena was for, but that was too little too late, especially for its $30 pricetag back in 2000, barely even reduced since. And it still doesn't have assault... but it did have Harvester which is something akin to Greed in UT3 many years later, not to mention Overload being like a very small scale Onslaught... No, the "assault" mod for Q3 are just some "hyper base 3000" box map+ configs shit that aren't assault at all. It's as much assault as those UT2004 trials maps are.

Also it is a bit interesting of a situation for me when Quake Live scrapped their Linux version going for a dedicated client... This opens much opportunity

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I'm not sure that's true. Quake 3 was the more commercially successful.

Q3A may have shipped more units than UT, but let's compare id Software's current situation to Epic's. Epic is now a massively successful company that has made untold billions off licensing their engine technology (that's not even mentioning game sales.) Meanwhile, id's last few games were financial flops, their engine tech isn't interesting in the least, and for all intents and purposes they may as well not even exist anymore. That all started with UT and Quake 3. It's pretty clear who the winner was ;)

I also personally found it to be the more polished game; the weapon set may have lacked the nuance of UT, but overall it was more coherent and better balanced. Concidentally, I felt the same way regarding Quake 2 versus Unreal ;)

I agree with Unreal vs. Quake 2 for balance; Unreal's MP was a convoluted mess :D

Still, I think UT was clearly the better game. It was easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master (and even if you weren't a master you could still be successful.) Quake 3's learning curve was just too large, mostly because of the movement mechanics.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Still, I think UT was clearly the better game. It was easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master (and even if you weren't a master you could still be successful.) Quake 3's learning curve was just too large, mostly because of the movement mechanics.

I fully agree. Unreal's multiplayer sucks apart from coop, but compared to Q3, UT seems superior in all aspects: the learning cuve is less steep, even though goes as high. It was easier to mod and map for it, and I always found it prettier. Weapons were funnier too.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Idk, I long preferred the more visceral feel of Kwack3, at least for simple deathmatch.
As for teamplay modes though, UT was, and still is, by far the way to go.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I decided to give it a try now that it's on Steam and with the latest update. It's a lot more fun, IMO.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Really? I thought people were going nuts about the weapon loadouts and the visual weapon respawn timers.
They were and I can understand why. It changes the status quo. There are tons of people on the UT forums suffering from the same delusion: that keeping everything the same will make the game the best it can be.

I don't know if I agree with all of the changes they made, but the game is flat out a lot more fun to play now. I think sponge realized that, so they made the changes without much feedback. I think it was a huge risk, it could have just killed the game. But I see plenty of people playing at all hours of the day or night and I have played more than I was before.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Quake Live's new "RUINED FOREVER!11!1!1" changes need a little more context....

Quake didn't have this elitist pro clique until later in Quakeworld when gl_picmip was realized as a visual aid and brightskins replacing regular ones helped them win, spawning this horrible culture of priviledged play-to-winners chickenlittling over all changes that affect their winvantagecycle, StopHavingFunGuys and ComplacentGamingSyndrome 700%'d leading to the Quake games with a far less sustainable playerbase (which is often denied, because they are also the vocal minority).

This is not counting the condescending jackasses that think they're swood grommets for having a custom alias to rocket their feet bound to a key that came earlier.

It's a real problem and it's the reason why Quake Live has brightskins on by default so newbies would be somewhat on the same level as these guys that turn off the lighting.

The Unreal series doesn't have too much of that problem (until Team Arena Master that is)

Finally, as far as a free Q3 with no gameplay changes as concerned...
i have to plug this only because it is very relevant to that concern (and there's some 2 whole digits of players). You can guess the obvious compromise from the whole Free license thing scaring away good artists.
I do have to note its solution to the pro issue are new options for servers to assign videoflags for 'drug free' gameplay with a visually balanced battlefield for all, so the 'vanilla casualcore' gameplay that died around 2002 is still preserved and surviving here... as an option!

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I've been playing this since the last few days it was announced on Steam. It was actually fun at first because the gametypes were new to me for a change. The fun started dying after I kept looking at some player's score where they will be insanely higher than the rest that seemed to be really good at the game. I realized why these players had such high scores when I went on Spectator mode and noticed that these so called good players were running aimbots and radars, lol.

Whenever I would mention that some people are running hacks, theres always a group involved with the hacker, which will always come at his aid and use the excuse about Steam users being noobies for accusing such players. They usually bash and slander steam users in order to cover-up their hacking as the best option. It has been the best excuse yet that they even name their servers with a message saying that steam players are not allowed to play there.

So yeah, the hacking on that game is so extreme that in a period of 2 days I already caught over 20 hackers botting and radaring on several servers. The funny part of this is that they all claim to be "pros" at the game, LMAO.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I used to play Q3A almost as much as I used to play UT.

QLive is still kicking on at Steam....

I decided to give it a try now that it's on Steam and with the latest update. It's a lot more fun, IMO.

........in fact Steam did a promotion for it the past week. I am seriously thinking about getting back into it. There are some new maps I believe.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
Anyone going to try reflex when it comes out? and i hear warsow is coming to steam around christmas. I'd love for the arena shooters to come back. Screw realism, join the army then.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Or be an armchair commando, play Arma 3.

Just kidding. Playing Arma 3 is like trying to control 50 things at once while your hands are submerged in pudding.