Erratic BOTS in Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
HI,

The BOTS in Unreal Botmatches jump around fast and very erratically, making those contests difficult to handle, at least for me.

In UT (Unreal Tournament), the BOTS maneuver much more smoothly and naturally, making the game experience more pleasant than that in Unreal (for me anyway).

Is there a way to make the BOTS in Unreal behave more like those in UT? I'm hoping that I'm missing something.

Freddie

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I don't follow... Jump fast and erratically? That sounds like a game speed issue to me... Of course, pathing in Unreal stock maps is terrible, so that could also be the problem.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
I know that the Unreal bots act differently than the UT bots, being more closer to the ReaperBot mod and not as refined. But erratic jumping...is this on a high difficulty setting?

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
GreatEmerald & MrMaddog,

I understand that my choice of words to describe what I notice can conjure up different interpretations of what I'm trying to describe.

No, I don't have a speed problem, and I don't know what pathing is. I also don't know what ReaperBots are. I have my settings on medium settings.

I can tell from your responses that you guys likely have an idea of what I'm describing. The BOTS in Unreal move faster and dodge more quickly than do those in UT. From what I see you guys saying, this situation may be entirely normal in Unreal.

For me, this condition makes playing Botmatches in Unreal not as much fun as playing them in UT. In other words, in Unreal I find it much more difficult to defend against these fast moving BOTS. Maybe that's just me. I'm interested in getting other views.

Freddie

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I also don't know what ReaperBots are.

Reaperbot was a mod for Quake written by Steve Polge that provided (for the time) pretty convincing DM bots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaper_bot).

Steve Polge got hired by Epic pretty much on the back of his Reaperbot work and went on to write the Unreal Bots.

http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Unreal said:
Steve Polge was hired to work on the AI.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
freddie said:
and I don't know what pathing is

Open any map with the unreal editor Unrealed(system folder). Explore the map in any of the 2D windows. You'll notice small apple styled icons throughout the map. These are navigation points for the bots. This way they can roam the map. Otherwise they wouldn't leave their place (unless provoked).

And as far as quake bots go, did anyone ever try the omicron bot? Imho this was the finest one =)

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
GreatEmerald,

OK, you forced me to actually look at my in-game settings. In Unreal Botmatch, and in Configure Game, I have Game Speed set at 80%, and Game Style set to Classic. In the Advanced Preferences, I have Frame Rate set at 100.

These setting seem to work well on my modern, high power Windows7 system running an Intel Core2 Quad.

Freddie