Why is it so hard??? (mapper crying...)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

miguelsilveira

... i like swords...
Jul 14, 2004
Portugal
www.freewebs.com
I've been mapping for quite a long, and sometimes using great arquitecture ideas in my maps, making me happy for the time spend on them, but there's one thing i can't simply understand... LIGHTING!!!!

Every single time i used a light actor in my maps, i end up ruin them ... Or its too bright or the ambience is completly ruined...etc...etc... So, my question is "NOT" where to find some good tuts about lighting.... but "HOW TO THINK!" when using them...

For instance: What color should i use in this subway and why? Should it be more brightness in the cave? Using this dinamic light would i achive what i suposed to? Can i use 2 light sources insted of 1 in this lamp to create a good effect?...

i think you guys get the picture...so... can anybody "really" help me? 'cause im despered...

Reciprocity

Boots of Spanish Rubber
Apr 4, 2004
Think in terms of realism and believability and (most importantly) what looks 1337.

Again I ask, give me an editable example of some of your work and I could show you what I mean.

miguelsilveira

... i like swords...
Jul 14, 2004
Portugal
www.freewebs.com
Sorry the delay, Reciprocity heres the "editable" file you asked its for ut 99 but i was hoping to learn it about ut2004 too...

You said 1337 but there are some examples of 1337 lighting completly ruined by the theme they were in... so give me some tips plz...

And Kantham thanks! by the way do you know some more?

Attachments

• DM-1v1-Procyon(fixed).zip
    429.4 KB · Views: 25

Monday..

--------
Apr 3, 2005
Experiment

Hi,

To 'enhance' lighting I use the SkyzoneInfo Actor to add fog (1/2 of what is delfault) and that changes the mood of your level well.

To experiment with your lighting just change their values(brightness etc..) and see also what the level looks like by playing it at night (no lights on in your computer room), as I find playing in the morning makes the level look dark and in the nightime it looks too bright!

Yes, heh, Can be difficult..

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
ei!

tenta usar a iluminação aos poucos ;)
faz experiencias em salas simples para que o rebuild das luzes seja rapido, depois vai vendo as melhores definições. quando te sentires a vontade, começa a por as luzes no mapa...

:D

Last edited:

xarlieb

Vertigo's forum spamming tool
Aug 31, 2005
spain
always try to use colors wich fit the textures you are lighten up. 4 instance: if you are building an outdoor terrain try to use warm colours such as red orange yellows etc. if you're going for a techy style map with lots of grey and with textures cold colours work well, thats blue green or desaturated yelow etc. in fact you must "enhance" you textures with the light. that how i see it :)

but the best way to learn is practicing and experimentng with different settings so good luck and have fun!