Terrain Editor for 2k4...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
The terrain editor in UT2k4 would be the most ideal tool in the UnrealEd to craete realistic outdoor terrain... but mine has errors!!!

Everytime I create a new heightmap (no imports), my PC suddenly stops and hangs then I have to close UnrealEd!!

What should I do to fix the thing?!

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Mine did that a couple of times for 2k3, restarting the computer and maybe checking with some diagnostic tools should fix it. But what the hell do I know.

X22887

!Crap Mapper!
May 2, 2002
1. new map
2. subtract a cube (2560x2560x2560)ish
3. texture it with a tex you won't use elsewhere
4. add zoneinfo
5.in zoneinfo actor properties set bterrainzone to true
6.select terrain tool
7.create new(button on bottom left)
8. package-myLevel
group- (i usually call it terain)
name- doesn't matter
size- 256x256 is fine for now
9. click ok :)
10. close terrain tool
11. open texture browser and find a texture for the ground
12. open terrain tool
13. select layers tab
14. select the top blank and click new
15. package- myLevel
group- {i usually call it layers(just be consistent throughout)}
name- base( doesn't matter)
alphafill- set this to white so it starts out fully visible {*note black = fully invisible i.e. for layers on top of the base.
256x256(so it's the same size)
16. ok
17.close terrain tool
18.rebuild
19. open terrain tool
20. select the terrain
21. select painting
22. set radius as you like it
23. reduce strength % to arround 20-40
24. in the 3d perspective ctrl lmb and drag to paint terrain up ctrl rmb and drag to paint down
25. play with it
26. select flatten and reduce radius by half
27. make a plateau (ctrl lmb and drag)
28. select smoothing tool double radius and change strength% to 5(so you can have control)
29. smooth you mountains, valleys, and plateau just a bit to make it look pretty ( ctrl lmb and drag to smooth)
30. have fun and check out udn and 3dbuzz

X22887

!Crap Mapper!
May 2, 2002
no problem btw UDN actually has an ok terrain tutorial it's about the best tut they have