A few mutator ideas; Fatigue and Dying Breath

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ceingieleth

Apr 15, 2004
As stated in the title, I've got a few ideas for a few mutators. I'm currently outlining an expansive world for a future mod but I beleive the following ideas have potential for the original ut2k series and should be available separately. I've got to apologize as I am a writer, not a programmer and do not know the subtle details when it comes to coding.

Fatigue - As players gain or lose health, their movement speed and jump height are affected. I'm not looking to impose a major handicap, I just want the player to be able to feel their health. For example, 75% Health would lead to 100% movement speed/height, 100% health 102% speed, 20% Health 92%. Being able to customize the mutator through the GUI, at the very least, would help with beta testing. I'll trust your best judgement when it comes down to the final speeds though.

Dying Breath - If a player is killed while loading or firing a semi-automatic weapon, their last action would have an effect on the final rag-doll animation. For example, a player sees his opponent from a far end of the arena, switches to the Rocket Launcher, starts loading, and switches on sprial spread. The other player then turns around, whips out the Sniper Rifle, gets an easy head shot, and starts bitching at the first player for not putting up much of a fight. Other weapons that could use this effect are the Assault Rifle's Grenades and the Bio-Rifle. Another player is killed while firing off the Minigun; despite the time the gun requires to warm up, it dies as quickly as the user even as his fingers stiffen over the trigger. The Assault Rifle, the Link Gun's alt-fire, and the Ion Painter could also use this touch. I think I may have seen this last idea used in Chrome but can't be too sure. The weapon thowing on death would have to be modified as well.

Thanks for your time.

Xzibit

Feb 1, 2000
Visit site
A quick note about "Fatigue" - I've done just the opposite thing on my mod (Apocalypse Weapons, for UT99). You may think that it may be funny to make the game more realistic, right? Nah... I'm sorry, but what's it called? Unreal.

I mean, you're almost dead, 10 hit points... a bee can kill u. Wouldn't it be fair if you could receive a bonus in speed/jump height, so it would make you feel "alive"??? Yeah, that's what I think, what came to my mind when I did the "adrenaline feature" for my mod...

The "Dying breath" looks nice, but some mods already do something similar (but just with "loading" weapons, like RL).

Ceingieleth

Apr 15, 2004
Thanks for the input.
It all depends on how you look at it, really. IMHO, a loss of 1% movement speed for each 7HP of damage, although only a hypothetical number, shouldn't lead to a great advantage against a player with full health (if it's even noticable to the third party). Under different circumstances, I'd totally agree with your choice to implement the opposite speed values but Fatigue was based on an experimental 'counter-balance' idea.
The speed-height/hp ratio should be set just enough for the player to have a 'tangible' indication of how serious that dreaded bee can be at 10HP. Instead of rewarding the player for running into the line of fire with a speed boost, he should be penalized. This is where the counter-balance comes into play. While it may not be a consious thought, the player's mind would perceive the slower rate of movement as an indication that if he/she doesn't get his act together, he's going to die. A few seconds may be all that's needed for this sobering reminder to take effect. Instead of giving the avatar a rush of adrenaline, it should be given to the player. Because not all players are alike, this is where the idea gets interesting. While one player may panic because of the slower speed and compensate by frantic shooting, another may realize that the only way to overcome this slight disadvantage is by playing better. Bots could probably care less but human beings are capable of complex thought.
Everyone's free to have their own opinions but I, for one, would be interested in seeing how this idea works in actual play and I'd be grateful to anyone willing to sacrifice their time for an experiment.

The Numbers
(Again, they're only hypothetical but should help to detail the workings of the mutator)
Above 75HP +0.5%/7HP
At 75HP 100% movement and height
Below 75HP -1%/7HP
At 150HP Capped off at 105%
When under fire +4%/second for 2.5 seconds for a max of +10% and another cap at 110%
While not under fire (2 seconds after last point of damage taken or 2 seconds from last shot fire in the vicinity if possible) -2%/second for 5 seconds or until the speed value matches the HP (for firefights that didn't last the 2.5 seconds)

On a different note, did you happen to notice the names of the mod/mutators that were similar to my Dying Breath idea?