Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I didn't read the article but what's wrong with using an iphone for professional photography? It's not the camera, it's the person using the camera that makes the shot.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Although this isn't about our own photos, I felt it was relevant: The iPhone 4S and professional photography

I just ran into this article on using the iPhone for professional photography. BBA, OO7Mike, et al, what are your thoughts on this?

Depends on the type of "professional" photography. For my own work it's not remotely feasible.
For weddings, no way. It's not fast enough (neither in shutter speed nor in reaction and focus speed), and can't be used with speed lights, triggers etc etc.
For landscape, it doesn't have the dynamic range, nor will a tiny sensor give me the quality of print that I need for clients (I don't care how many pixels they've crammed onto it). Obviously the glass in the lens is nothing like the kind of clarity and sharpness you get from a semi-decent lens, and I can't see any way it could be fixed on to a tripod, nor have filters attached.
Also, the lack on manual control on things like shutter and aperture. It would be impossible to create a long exposures or whatever.

What I DO use my iphone for a lot in terms of photography is finding out tide times, weather, and the brilliant The Photographer's Ephemeris app for sun and moon locations.

Anyways, it's been a while since I posted....here are a couple of shots from a trip to the north of Portugal last month. Not a photography trip, just to unwind after the wedding season. We walked a lot, and for the most part the weather wasn't much cop for taking pictures, but I got a few that are OK.

Geres05.jpg

Geres20.jpg

Geres01.jpg

Geres15.jpg

Geres17.jpg

Geres09a.jpg

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Although this isn't about our own photos, I felt it was relevant: The iPhone 4S and professional photography

I just ran into this article on using the iPhone for professional photography. BBA, OO7Mike, et al, what are your thoughts on this?

I'm not going to say that can't use it for professional work but I have to say that it wouldn't work for my line of work. I will have to agree with Israphel and many of his points.

If was to use an Iphone for portraits, which really is the only thing I could use it for in my line of work, I would need the client to agree to it.

Clients hire you for your unique style, look, feel, expertise. The tool you use isn't always important.. unless people realize that it is something they have used before and is easily obtainable. They took awful photos with the iPhone therefore they don't understand how other people could take excellent photos with it. It will take extra convincing.

Based on my reputation alone I'm positive I could convince my next portrait client to allow me to take a few photos with an iPhone 4s. There is just no way I would use the iPhone 4s exclusively.. and i doubt my client would agree to pay my prices knowing this.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com

Never! Israphel pretty much covered all the main points. iPhones only shoot in jpg and give you no control over the shot. It's about as garbage as it can get. Yeah, it fits in your pocket, so as a point and shoot digital replacement it's good, but as a replacement for an DSLR or SLR it is not.

I didn't read the article but what's wrong with using an iphone for professional photography? It's not the camera, it's the person using the camera that makes the shot.

But the iphone doesn't have any of the basic features that a professional photographer would want/need. So it's not even an option to anyone that knows what they they are doing.

I would like to see an "iPhone Photographer get that kind of contrast and dynamic range. Nice work man. :)

Geres20.jpg

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/1U0Mf.jpg[/screenshot]
This is from the 1950's, a Korean War-era photograph of my Grandfather in an F9F Panther, shortly after a carrier mislaunch. He's very lucky to be alive right now.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
is there a message here?
is there a point being made?

or is it just a guy and girl wearing animals masks while doing human things?
I'm curious.

wait don't get me wrong I actually enjoy the pictures.
just wondering if there was some specific concept you had in mind.

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
is there a message here?

I'm curious.

It's just art/concept photography. It can be as simple or nebulous as you make it. I like what he is doing because it lets me ask more questions than it answers which means its art. Concept photography is easy to figure out. It is what it is but it makes you think but answers most of the questions for you. Most art majors know that you don't have to have a destination in mind when creating art. The destination is left up to anyone who looks at the art. It gives them the chance to fill in the blanks.

Why is he on the phone?
Why is the ear piece so low as to not touch his ear?
Can anyone hear him even with his mouth so far away from the receiver?
Is he trying to say that some people who use phone booths for too long are asses?
Why is he so well dressed for a donkey/horse?
Is he part of the 1%?

I think BillyBadAss will get a kick out of all these questions and thats why I think its more Art based than Concept. To reveal the purpose of the piece is like a musician explaining why they created a specific song. It's more enjoyable when you don't explain everything.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
is there a message here?

I'm curious.

It's just art/concept photography. It can be as simple or nebulous as you make it. I like what he is doing because it lets me ask more questions than it answers which means its art. Concept photography is easy to figure out. It is what it is but it makes you think but answers most of the questions for you. Most art majors know that you don't have to have a destination in mind when creating art. The destination is left up to anyone who looks at the art. It gives them the chance to fill in the blanks.

Why is he on the phone?
Why is the ear piece so low as to not touch his ear?
Can anyone hear him even with his mouth so far away from the receiver?
Is he trying to say that some people who use phone booths for too long are asses?
Why is he so well dressed for a donkey/horse?
Is he part of the 1%?

I think BillyBadAss will get a kick out of all these questions and thats why I think its more Art based than Concept. To reveal the purpose of the piece is like a musician explaining why they created a specific song. It's more enjoyable when you don't explain everything.

I had a loosely created objective when I set out to do this and I stuck to it. Like Mike said, if I tell you it, it might let you down. Half of the fun is the questioning of it. If I tell you and it wasn't what you thought, then you might be left down.

It's also interesting to me how people interrupt it. I think that's what's fun about art.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
For fans of Mr. Pointy

A couple of shots taken of Whitby Abbey just at sunset...

[screenshot]http://www.margrave.myzen.co.uk/images/Summer11/WhitbyAbbeySunset02.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://www.margrave.myzen.co.uk/images/Summer11/WhitbyAbbeySunset01.jpg[/screenshot]

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Mt Constance (on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State), taken from approximately 3 miles south east of the summit.