hi! what is INF successor?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

punitore

Dec 23, 2003
hi all!

i was asking myself what is the game that can be called " infiltration successor". i reallly miss a game where i can take my own loadout, choose a map to play with some friends, and take my .50 bolt action rifle ......adjust optic.....hold breathe....and remove someone's head with a single shot.
i know there is still INF around....but really is too old right now....with no improvements, and even give me some troubles due to my new video card....

there are a lot of decent games around, and some mods too....but for you....what is the most realistic "infiltration style" game/mod?

thanks for your suggests!

i start saying....america's army. but i don't like it because i can't personalize my loadout like in infiltration :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
..take my .50 bolt action rifle ......adjust optic.....hold breathe....and remove someone's head with a single shot
Uhm, you can't - Inf doesn't feature drop off heads [for player characters], plus with a .50 is doesn't matter where you hit the enemy, they're out of action.

Since I still play Inf I'm not in dire need of a successor - at current resolutions Inf doesn't look half bad, especially if combined with Psytex. You can usually solve all(?) problems involving modern hardware and get Inf to run - if you ever intend to, just take a look at the troubleshooting section; most problems and their solutions are there, and if not there's no harm in asking.

As for [future] successor my hopes at the moment are that Blackfoot Studios gets Sky Gods out to see if they are up to what the community expects from them - plus since Beppo is part of their team it's at least a teamwise successor. If Sky Gods meets half the expectation then Ground Branch will be the legitimate Inf successor IMO.

punitore

Dec 23, 2003
ok thanks for the quick answer....

but it's obviously not what i was asking for :)
INF has right now 1 (one) server up, and is empty.
so i am pretty bored to play a game with bots every time, i search a game like INF was at his gold age, when there was a lot of server, with a lot of people inside!

so i ask again......what you (community) think to be INF successor?

thanks all !

like Snakeye sayed

As for [future] successor my hopes at the moment are that Blackfoot Studios gets Sky Gods out to see if they are up to what the community expects from them - plus since Beppo is part of their team it's at least a teamwise successor. If Sky Gods meets half the expectation then Ground Branch will be the legitimate Inf successor IMO.[/QUOTE]

You got an unser up :p

I hope it will be cool and here is webpage http://www.blackfootstudios.com/projects.htm

I don t know for batter game

INF is still the best for me :D

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Hmm, you'll have to see what you are running (mutators) and match versions with what the server is running. As for a successor, I look at blackfoots stuff and it just looks really old already. Crysis has taken us to a new level graphics wise, and many people are not going to want to go back to the old. I'm hoping that a mod team will eventually be able to work out the problems that Crysis has and bring it to a higher realm of realism. The engine itself is quite good, unfortunately, Crytek doesn't seem to want to use it all. In fact, they seem to want to use only the simplest aspects of it. And then there are some things that needed to be added to the engine, like realistic flight simulation and complex joystick support.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Two things:
There are three to four servers online - just two to three of them are COOP, which doesn't show up in the normal Inf server browser. If unknown: COOP is a cooperative gamemode that plays Unrea1+RtNP and other mission packs - you're part of a team going against Krall, Skaarj and Nali (the latter is only recommended if Stinkmarder and Firebird are not around :D).

INF_Assets (or any other core inf package) mismatch happens when trying to connect to a psytex server when playing non-psytex Inf or vice versa. You can get Psytex somewhere here or on the COOP forums.

There aren't many people around who play Inf, true, but around 2000-2200CET you usually can find people playing at least 4-5 times a week.

punitore

Dec 23, 2003
psytex installed....now utcompass version mismatch.

i deleted the 3 files in system with same name, and now it say " infwm_c7 " version mistmatch....

you understand me why i search a successor, right? :)

anyway i will keep an eye on blackfoot projects, thanks for teh advice :)

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
psytex installed....now utcompass version mismatch.

i deleted the 3 files in system with same name, and now it say " infwm_c7 " version mistmatch....
That's normal. Next patient!

No seriously, there has been a bit of evolution since the original CE release. You can usually find the correct versions somewhere around - or just delete the offending files* [which is especially useful for UTCompass since every server seems to use a different version]. I'll admit getting Inf to run can be a tad tedious, but once it's on you'll have very little trouble keeping it running.

*Note1: NEVER delete Inf core files! Note2: In case of version mismatches deleting the corresponding .u-file is usually sufficient.

punitore

Dec 23, 2003
" with doesn't show up in INF normal server browser" ......what you mean about COOP server? where i should search for them?

thanks

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I've been having fun with this saucy little number:
http://www.neotokyohq.com/

It's not a realism shooter (well... realistic for 2030 maybe) but I get a really similar vibe with it to a good Inf server (sneaky, quick, deadly, where did that shot come from? :( ).

OFP2 is looking way better than I was expecting it to.

ArmA2 has somewhat less awful controls than ArmA1.

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
Red Orchestra 2 looks a bit promising, but then again all we can see right now are alpha version demo videos, so we can't really tell until it's actually released. Though I guess a WW2 scenario can't really be an INF successor regardless ;)

GoldenNugget

Jul 15, 2005
I know some people on this forum don't like it, but I think the ArmA series (and the original OFP) are good. They're all a bit buggy but I think the scale and variety in the random **** that can happen due to the mission maker or just variability due to different factors makes it fun. You just need to have an organized team of players and you can take out a ton of heavily armored units using ****ty equipment. The newer games have also added in infiltration aiming which is also nice. The addons are also quite nice due to allowing you to adjust moa so you can nail targets at 500m or more.

If only they can make the cqc better in urban areas since it feels way off... Long range fighting and ambushes are perfect though.

theRoadStroker

A Dickcheese Faggot
May 28, 2005
the best thing the ARMA-team should do is to drop the flight and heli (well maybe keep the transport helis) and just give the biggest focus on infantry and prolly a new engine even thou its quite nice one they got now , its never gonna cut out to handle CQB.