Review: Health Bot

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
[ Transcript of review for Health Bot | Posted by Vlosk on 2003-08-07 | Score: 8.5 ]
HealthBot

This is a nifty little mutator, which adds Health-Bots to the level. These bots are in the form of little hover-insect like critters, and they gain loyalty towards players. As this loyalty increases, they help out their master by healing them, or by zapping the enemy. Healthbots are destructible, have a wonderful mesh, and are quite the little object to have chasing you around the map with a tazer.

The concept to this mutator is not too much more than the first paragraph there, but the authors have added an extra layer of depth by allowing the mutator to become configurable. You can choose the number of ‘bots, the health thereof, and the rate at which they gain loyalty. You can also play with a super health bot, in a sort of hunter type game: get the guy with the bot, become the guy with the bot. Though a fairly simple, if very creative and well implemented, concept. I have to admit I am impressed by the level of refinement shown to this mutator. The model is well made, the AI for these health-bots is well made, and even the effects are fairly thought out. I also have to compliment the authors on the special features, such as the attitude reflected in the eye color, and the ability for Healthbots to form a sort of self-healing chain. I’m not sure how many servers this mutator will inhabit permanently, but if you need something other than instagib, you should probably go download this little treasure _now_!. Besides, how often do you get to match wits against a giant anti-gravity tazer-bug!!!

In terms of improvement, all I could ask for is a regard for the FX as they hit a player; specifically the health beams. It’s nice to see a health-bot heal a teammate, or yourself for that matter, but the stunning visuals suddenly die as they touch the target. Even if it were some sort of generic particle spray, I found the severed beams a bit distracting. Other than that, I wouldn’t mind a slightly smaller Health-Bot body (or option for), but I don’t necessarily mind it in its current form (about the size of a player’s torso, if a little thinner). Though a higher score would require a little bit of tweaking in the FX department (how do these things come into being in the first place?) I do have to say that this little gem scores an 8.5 right out on its first release; not bad at all!