Tutorial Map Needed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
IMO, if EPIC really wants to help new beginners and why not average players too,here is what would be interesting to see in a serious tutorial (/training mode) for DM:

-clear explanations about weapons followed by some challenges for EVERY weapons (both primary and secondary fire)
- clear explanations about Shield Gun (or whatever else that will replace it) and challenges for ALL the different kind of shield gun jumps
- clear explanations/examples about dodge-, boost-, sideboost- and wall-jumps with concrete challenges on different places of the different official maps
- clear explanations about adrenaline and comboes
- clear explanations about lift jumps and jump pads followed by some challenges
- and explanations about miscellaneous things such as drop weapon, crouch, double damage, shield, health bonus (it may sound weird to talk about such obvious things as health pick up but how often have you met players on public servers who just rush into the melee without picking up the health vial standing just 5 meters away from them!!!)...

I would really like to see that in a license system "a la" gran turismo.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
The best solution would be a trial map on a need to know basis ie you can't really complete it as such, just ask the hologram instructor in it 'how do i do a wall jump'
'whats a shock combo' and so on....... basically have a list of tutorials in side a dynamic tutorial that you can train with at your discretion ,

also have on the maps for example a room for practising different types of jumps, a room for practising evasion and reflecting projectiles, an outside area to practice vehicles, a target practice room and finally a combat room were you can easily add and adjust bots as your skill increases, the ideas is that you can train for anything possible that you want to do
much like that funny program in the martrix ' the construct' that they used for training

i think instead of making deck 16 a map, the should make it the combat area of this training map

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Sheesh, with all those serious tutorials.. where would the fun be in discovering things all by yourself :-/ That, especially, is what I liked doing most in my newbie days..

And some, even most things are simply in the manual. If you are too lazy to read through it, then it's your own damn fault if you're missing out on those oh so important aspects of the game.

Course, things have change.. games have become more complicated. Still, the tutorial shouldn't tell you everything there is to know. Would be silly.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
NeoNite said:
Course, things have change.. games have become more complicated. Still, the tutorial shouldn't tell you everything there is to know. Would be silly.
It should give you an environment where you can discover things on your own and not have to find another cool player to discover how much damage each weapon does and so forth. It doesn't have to tell you everything.

And I don't like the idea of being required to complete sp stuff inorder to do mp stuff, if anyone was actually implying that.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
NeoNite said:
There's a difference between telling a n00b that the lightning gun does 70 damage and the shock primary does 45 than telling them that switching between them is a great way to take out a newly-spawned enemy, neither of which is mentioned anywhere in the UT2004 tutorials or booklet.

The point of tutorials is to teach someone the basics. UT2004 does not do this in any way. Basics should NOT have to be learned. You're supposed to take those basic ideas and apply them to learn more advanced stuff. UT2004 gives you the most basic idea of how to play the gametypes ("Grab the ball, pass to teammates, throw it in the goal" is how they do the BR tutorial), and that's it. There's nothing on the key game pieces (movement, weapons, etc) at all. Deplorable.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Agreement and Expansion

EL BOURIKO said:
-clear explanations about weapons followed by some challenges for EVERY weapons (both primary and secondary fire)
- clear explanations about Shield Gun (or whatever else that will replace it) and challenges for ALL the different kind of shield gun jumps
- clear explanations/examples about dodge-, boost-, sideboost- and wall-jumps with concrete challenges on different places of the different official maps
- clear explanations about adrenaline and comboes
- clear explanations about lift jumps and jump pads followed by some challenges
- and explanations about miscellaneous things such as drop weapon, crouch, double damage, shield, health bonus (it may sound weird to talk about such obvious things as health pick up but how often have you met players on public servers who just rush into the melee without picking up the health vial standing just 5 meters away from them!!!)...

That'd be a pretty good set of tutorials. I don't think a license system would be a good idea at all though. You want players to be able to do what they like right away. Maybe do a set of "awards" inside the tutorial system. It gives new players something to work for as an incentive to do the tutorials, while at the same time allowing them to get stuck into the game as soon as possible.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Not a restrictive license (ie : nothing like 'complete "movement 101" with Bronze medal to unlock CTF-basics'), but something in between that shows a player which tutorials he has completed and which are still to be done.

If the system is solidly designed then new gametypes/mods/mutators should be able to add their own tutorial-section without having to hack as well.

// El Bouriko
I think you've got too little trust in players' ability to learn on their own.

It's one thing to teach a player how to do a wall-jump and the kind of distance/heigth such a jump can cover..
However telling them where they can use what jump in official maps is overkill. They might not think of searching for 'cool' locations themselves.

The tutorials should give you a feel for the various tasks in the game. They shouldn't spoonfeed you the information ...

Last edited:

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
JaFO said:
// El Bouriko
I think you've got too little trust in players' ability to learn on their own.

It's one thing to teach a player how to do a wall-jump and the kind of distance/heigth such a jump can cover..
However telling them where they can use what jump in official maps is overkill. They might not think of searching for 'cool' locations themselves.

The tutorials should give you a feel for the various tasks in the game. They shouldn't spoonfeed you the information ...

I got your point JaFO and your comment makes sense.

anyway IMO something have to be done with the tutorial to help new beginners to improve their learning curve faster. In fact the more the times goes, the more difficult it gets for new beginners to jump into a server without being totally overwhelmed.
I really hope that the next UT will provide the subsequent tutorial that new beginners really need and the one that can be a challenge anyway for more experienced players.

--Under

Underestimated user
Mar 21, 2004
The gap between newbies and regular players will never be filled with tutorials. Even with the best tutorials, newbies hoppin on a serv for the first time will STILL get a severe beat and most of them will put the game on the shelf. But, those who continue playing will earn skills much faster if the tutorials are well made since they wont lose time wondering why everyone else can bounce on the walls :lol: .