ProU bites it?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I think it's funny to see everyone complain about the poor attitudes like they took it all seriously or something. It was a good resource for the competitive community, and that was really the only reason it was there. The rest was just plain old pastime of trolling. Ya know good clean internet fun.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I'm sad to see a long-time UT site bite the dust... if it is down permanently that is. I want to see things turn around so that the UT community can grow once more.
Not looking like it, but I suppose there's still a chance
The Crysis Wars server browser was pretty well and empty until after the 1.5 patch and now it's quite active as I can get at least a dozen or so server at sub-100 ping

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
I will admit that prounreal.com was THE worst place for new players back in the day, especially when it came to UT99. Huge ego's and 14 year old jack asses littered the place.

Having said that though, I will never slam TheLegacy or any of the other S&F members as they've done nothing but help me practice for the 1v1 ladder over at www.fraggednation.com

It would be nice it you didn't slam specific people in pubs they don't frequent numb, especially since your a member of 51. They and you are better than that. I knows it :D

Last edited:

Shlomo

Jul 24, 2008
I will admit that prounreal.com was THE worst place for new players back in the day, especially when it came to UT99. Huge ego's and 14 year old jack asses littered the place.

Thats because ProU WASN'T for newbies. All I see in this thread a bunch of people whining after getting ez-trolled on an internet forum. Yes, i'm so sure the entire UT community IS SO much better off now that there is now officially no such thing as any inkling or shred of a competitive community left. :rolleyes:

Keep celebrating, the UT series as a whole is done for now.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Thats because ProU WASN'T for newbies. All I see in this thread a bunch of people whining after getting ez-trolled on an internet forum. Yes, i'm so sure the entire UT community IS SO much better off now that there is now officially no such thing as any inkling or shred of a competitive community left. :rolleyes:

Keep celebrating, the UT series as a whole is done for now.
Yep, that's what everyone is celebrating about here! :shake:

Sorry, but every community, even competitive communities, for ANY game thrive off of new blood. Treating people who are both veterans of the series and new to the series like dumb trash doesn't help anyone and that community was notorious for doing that. Sorry that I'm not terribly sad to see the hostile attitude over there go away. Of course it's sad for another UT site of any kind to be gone, but that's not what anyone is talking about in this thread at all. So, I guess a big :tup: is in order for catching the point.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hmm, re-read my post again, maybe what I actually said will become more clear.

Ok, Ok... I'll make a numbered list for you.
  1. Nobody is celebrating the loss of a competitive UT site
  2. Nobody is specifically celebrating the shutdown of ProU (unless you specifically mean the forums at ProU)
  3. ProU, in general, made the competitive community look bad
  4. People are not sad to see the hostility of ProU forums scourged from the earth
Can you really contend with these points? I, in fact, made the point earlier that the really good people at ProU were rarely ever the problem as far as hostility went (though they rarely ever even posted), but the site administration let the hostility happen which is just as bad as outright condoning it.

I know you're in defense mode because you put a lot of time and effort in over there, but I'm just stating facts. Most of the non-ultra-hardcore-competitive crowd didn't like ProU because of the general attitude in the community there and thus are not sad to see it gone. Additionally, those running the site didn't do anything to combat that attitude and, frankly, seemed to condone it by non-action. Thus, again, people are not sad to see the site go.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing ProU return, but I would hope that, in its return, more proactive administration could be done to make the site a friendlier place to be for people of all skill levels.

Shlomo

Jul 24, 2008
I don't see a problem with trash talking. I believe that is where we differ. I believe a person with a higher skill level has an opinion that is worth more than a noobies when it comes to the game.

Personally I just see a bunch of QQ'in over some obvious forum trolling and some name calling. Whatever

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There is a difference between playful trash talking and outright hostility.

Shlomo

Jul 24, 2008
There is a difference between playful trash talking and outright hostility.

In that case, I never saw an issue with how ProU was ran or the people who were on the forums. And who said anything about "playful" trashtalking? Since when did trash talking have to be playful for it to be tolerable?

Last edited:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
In that case, I never saw an issue with how ProU was ran or the people who were on the forums.

You wouldn't; you were one of the people merrily engaging in the the flammable discussions over there. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that, but I don't personally enjoy it very much and I assume that the people posting here who didn't much like prounreal don't enjoy it either.

I think my first post in the thread explains it fairly well. Maybe we weren't that fond of proU, but we're sad that the competitive community is pretty much dead. The last time I visited proU I saw like 5 threads on the first page of the UT3 forum by TheLegacy trying to get people interested in UT3 competition and him getting flamed and trolled by bitter old-time members for trying. If that's how a forum treats the people who try to actually do something about the game's problems, then I don't have much use for it.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
To think that ProU could not be out right hostile is pretty ignorant and shows you either didn't pay attention, or you where one of the hostile ones. I can deal with it in the Politics and FFA section, but in the UT section it made the UT community look bad.

I still miss it though.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Thats because ProU WASN'T for newbies.
And therein lies the crux of the matter. Bad attitude towards anyone new to the fold who wasn't an already established player with a name for himself. I wasn't the only experienced player who after their first post got the default response of
"G B 2 I N A."

Judging from many of the threads I read, the majority of ProU regulars did not want new blood. ProU forums was a more a clicke hangout than a real competitive site. A truly competitive forums would not have an OT or flames section.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
And therein lies the crux of the matter. Bad attitude towards anyone new to the fold who wasn't an already established player with a name for himself. I wasn't the only experienced player who after their first post got the default response of
"G B 2 I N A."

Judging from many of the threads I read, the majority of ProU regulars did not want new blood. ProU forums was a more a clicke hangout than a real competitive site. A truly competitive forums would not have an OT or flames section.

I actually love the OT and flame section. I think it can be healthy and I have had it on some other community sites and it has worked well.

It was a competition based site, but seeing as there where no real leagues after UT99, the old player base just got angry, egotistical and bitter. But even then, lots of smaller events have been based there, `bdys events and of course MLUT.

Most UT based competition sites have big egos and there are a lot of problems sometimes, especially UT99 based sites. Some people have gone there and gotten it better. It is far better now than it was when i first joined.

Last edited: