UT3 crashes with runtime error

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nasenfresse

Sep 20, 2008
Hi,

My UT3 a few days ago didn't work and always crashed with a runtime error.
Although I reinstalled Windows and now it worked, the error crashed my game several times again. Now I'm havin no problems, but i searched some UT3 forums and found out there isn't any good solution for all the people having this error.

I'm learning C# ATM and so "heard about" the .Net Framework.
The error appeared the first time after I installed iTunes, restarted and wanted to play.
So I had the idea that maybe something at UT3 and iTunes (yeah, i know it actually is a program for Mac^^) is using the same Namespace.

So: All people having this problem:
Have you installed iTunes?

Sry for the grammatical mistakes ;)

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I haven't tried ITunes for a while. I kind of resented it the first time around. Here comes another reason not to install it I guess.

Does it help if you don't run ITunes at all while you play UT3? I e not even in background as an invisible process.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Same here, I have UT3 and iTunes installed and no runtime errors.

Remember that UT3 is built on C++ (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) and they wouln't have been stupid enough to call UT3 iTunes somewhere.

Could be a driver error, downloaded latest drivers for video, motherboard etc? Updated the BIOS? had a friend who has problems with games until he updated the BIOS.

Shoot2kil

Norn Iron Boy
Jun 11, 2008
Norn Iron
I often have problems with UT3 crashing while running itunes as well. I just ended up wearing my ipod headphones under my computer headphones.

nasenfresse

Sep 20, 2008
I have installed the recommended (!) graphic drivers with PhysX, the latest mainboard drivers, the latest CPU driver and the DualCore Optimizer - And there's no newer BIOS version than I have.

Yeah, it's programmed in C++, but Visual C++, so its programmed in .Net Framework^^
Umm.. Thought maybe some Namespace or Function like "Play", this could be in iTunes AND UT3 :D

But thanks for the replies :)

nasenfresse

Sep 20, 2008
@Shoot2kil:

Has UT3 crashed (with the runtime error) since you stopped using iTunes while running UT3?

//EDIT:
@Fuzz:
Yeah, it does..

///EDIT:
@Fuzz:
Me idiot - i meant not that it helps, but it crashes! Sorry :D

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Speaking elite is like playing with motion blur on in UT3...

Have you tried to reinstall UT3?

Once a code is compiled in any language the names of the variables turn into something cryptic. If the "play" function/method is called it will still have to be context dependent and execute differently in each program. Many games have a "play" function just as many applications have a File menu, it won't cause any collisions. If you have a development environment like Visual Studio 2008 Professional, it could have messed up something but I think that too isn't very probable.

nasenfresse

Sep 20, 2008
I talked about functions, cause variables with the same name can exist more than one time, they only exist while the program runs, so let's say var1(iTunes) is maybe at 0x0000a8ff and var1(UT3) is maybe at 0x0000e01a, that's much different from those functions and methods in the Framework.

They get cryptic for humans, yeah, but actually they [internal] have the same names, haven't they?
I thought in the .Net Framework they were global if you declare them as public and not internal.
And then the programmers should be smart enough to put a prefix before functions, like "UnrealTournament3_Play" and "iTunes_Play"..

Yeah, I've got Visual Studio 2008.. But Express.
Why should this mess sth up?

For sure I have reinstalled UT3^^
I killed my whole Partition while reinstalling Windows.. But the errors still appear (they don't do as often as they did?!)

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Good to know.

What kind of computer are you running this on? If you run out of memory, that could cause a lot of disturbance.

Development environments have to integrate themselves and applications you build to the OS thereby replacing or linking libraries in several ways. When a dll is missing or not containing the right functions there will be runtime errors.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2ghz dual core
2GB RAM
dual ATI Radeon x1900GTs in crosfire mode
500GB SATA drive on a Promise add-on SATA card (onboard one is messed up)
Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit version)

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Are you one Windows XP or Vista? 32-bit or 64-bit. I have a friend who's got Windows XP 64-bit and it's just plagued with problems; UT3 crashes all the time on it :p

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I'm trying to play Domination, but some of the maps won't initialize due to runtime error. Don't know if that have something to do with my recent installation of Visual Studio, but I can't figure out what is causing UT3 to crash.