Mapvote to vote for Maps and Mutators

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
I have modified mapvote304 to include the ability to vote for customizable mutator selections. the buttons are assigned by the admin, and can be voted for in the same way a map is voted for. and the end of time, or when everyone has voted for both a map and mode, the server applies the settings.

with this version, i am confident enough that there shouldnt be any bugs. im not making any promises, but its fairly bug free. i saw a lot of people asking for a version of mapvote that did this, so i decided to post the link. rumor has it it has made it on to UTadmin.com as well, incase my link dies for some reason.

anyway, if you want to try it, you should be able to find it here:

http://www.nightstormer.com/bonehed316/x3dfxMapVote.zip

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
The mutator voting seems to work fine but, for some reason, a server restart is required in order to change the names of buttons. Maybe I'm doing something wrong :p . Oh and btw, I tried getting Jailbreak and MonsterHunt to work as additional game types but no luck :/ .

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
heh, yeah i didnt think the game types would work.

you cant change the names of the buttons without restarting, yet. i will add that one day, im sure. you can change the function of the buttons, though, in game. if you know what youre doing, anyway.

then again, you can always use the admin set commands to change the button name in game. thats how mapvote does it anyway. so, for instance, to set the name of button1 to "Normal" you could use the following console command:

"admin set x3dfxMapVotev21.x3dfxMapVote ButtonName1 Normal"

case insensitive, but you have to get the spelling and spacing right. at least this "should" work. also, youll have to be logging in as admin for it to accept your admin command.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ah, that's some very useful information. If both button names and mutators can be set in game whilst avoiding a complete restart then that makes things more practical :p .

Edit : Just tested this in the console online and it works fine.

As for the custom gametypes, this is what I did :

MHGametype=MonsterHunt.MonsterHunt
JBGameType=Jailbreak.Jailbreak
bMH=True
bJB=True

Note that the MonsterHunt gametype simply requires a switch to an MH-* map as I think the mutator is actually integrated into MonsterHunt maps. It would be a lot simpler if you could switch to different map prefixes on one side and then attribute gametypes on another.

Last edited:

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
adding those settings to the mapvote ini wont do anything. tell me, is MH a DM replacement? i dont really know much about the mutator, but ive got some people asking me if i can fix mapvote to work with it. i think it can be done.

ive got a few ways, but i dont know enough about MH to test it. if you can get the MH- maps in the list, you can, i believe, easily get the mode to switch.

i assume MH maps use their own prefix? like, maps have to be made for MH? the mutator itself is in the game type. so my idea is this:

set bOther to true.
set OtherClass=MonsterHunt.MonsterHunt

now, i dont know how you would get the MH- maps into the list, but reading through the code, this is what i come up with:

as long as MapPreFixOverRide= and PreFixSwap= are blank, then mapvote should look inside of monsterhunt, or whatever is the OtherClass, and see what its default map type is, and load it.

one important thing youll need to do is turn auto detect off in the admin window. this will, by default, only load map types of the current game type. also make sure that other is selected, it should be as long as bOther is true.

this SHOULD be all thats needed. if not, then i have some other ideas. but youll still have to get the MH- maps into the list, since they use their own prefix.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Well, MH seems to be a separate gametype from what I can tell. Maps are specifically designed for it in that the author has to add the the monsterhunt package in order to add various Unreal monsters as well as some Unreal weapons.

MonsterHunt maps use the prefix MH- and there's also the MA- prefix for a variation called MonsterArena. It is possible to use BDB's mapvote as well as your own to add the MonsterHunt gametype using the Otherclass option. Of course, there's the limitation of adding just one custom gametype.

I'm not sure but I think MonsterHunt doesn't require a change of gametype as everything is handled by the MonsterHunt package. What I mean is that a simple switch to an MH map will seemingly automatically switch the gametype as well. I will carry out a few tests using servertravels tonight and see what happens. If it is switched automatically, it would be nice to have a feature that allows you to define a list of map prefixes that should be displayed besides the standard ones.

Now, this is all fine as a suggestion but I have no idea how UT works inside :p . It would have been nice if the original team that programmed UT added the possibility of defining custom gametypes by combining gametypes, admin commands and mutators.

Last edited:

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
im a bit foggy right now, lol. i know MH can be used with mapvote, ive had it done. however, they reported the problem that mapvote didnt work wtih it, for some reason. i saw no reason in the code why it wouldnt work.

so you know, when youre adjusting the serverTravel, the ?game= is what tells the server what mode to go to. when you define OtherClass= in mapvote, youre assigning this parameter. mapvote adds ?game=MonsterHunt.MonsterHunt or whatever its called, only becusae thats teh "other class" you gave it. mapvote should also be able to look inside of monster hunt and get the default map prefix, MH-, and thats how it decides when monster hunt should be loaded. this code is currently working in mapvote, so if it doesnt work for MH, i wouldnt know why.

my origional thought was that it was a problem with MH not sending the mutates up the list, so mapvote wasnt recieving them. i cant tell, because i dont have access to those logs, so i cant tell if mapvote is even loading. mapvote is designed to always re-add itself to the mutators section.

Pziko Snake

((ITA)) Clan Member
Mar 7, 2003
not your business
digilander.iol.it
Well... I'm using your new version of mapvote, it works like a charm with 1 default gameplay.... but here's teh prob:

I'm using 2 different types of CTF (normal one and the Excessive one).

i've put:

bOther=True
OtherClass=Excessive.ExcessiveCTFGame

when I start a practice match (to test it), I can play only normal CTF (i know both gameplays' got the same prefix -CTF-), and when I close UT, i reopen the ini file and....

bOther=False

this is probably cus of the bAutoDetect=True, right?

Is there a way to switch between the 2 modes even if they have the same map prefix?

thx

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
i dont think you can use excessive ctf along with regular ctf, unfortunately. since they both have the same map prefix. you can, i believe, login as admin and check or uncheck the ctf box and Other box to switch, but i think thats its limitation. its really a limitation of the design of mapvote, where the game type is determined by the prefix. alternately, it could be done like UT2004, where the gametype is chosen wtih the map upon voting, but thats really a pain, as im sure BDB could tell you. though dont rule out the possibility.

BDB

May 9, 2000
NC, USA
www.planetunreal.com
Pziko Snake said:
Well... I'm using your new version of mapvote, it works like a charm with 1 default gameplay.... but here's teh prob:

I'm using 2 different types of CTF (normal one and the Excessive one).

i've put:

bOther=True

when I start a practice match (to test it), I can play only normal CTF (i know both gameplays' got the same prefix -CTF-), and when I close UT, i reopen the ini file and....

bOther=False

this is probably cus of the bAutoDetect=True, right?

Is there a way to switch between the 2 modes even if they have the same map prefix?

thx
You should be able to do this. We used to do this with another mod.
Try this:
bAutoDetect=True
bCTF=True
bOther=True
PrefixSwap=ECTF (For excessive CTF).

You should end up with 2 of each CTF maps in the list. Except one has ECTF prefix.

Pziko Snake

((ITA)) Clan Member
Mar 7, 2003
not your business
digilander.iol.it
errrr........... It doesn't work, I should do a copy of all my maps puttin an "E" prefix b4 CTF?, this will require a lot of space, and would be a stick in the ass for the ones connecting to the server.

I tried putting

bAutoDetect=False

In-game it shows the ectf- and ctf- maps, but when I try to load the map it says that it can't find the damn man, cause it still searches for ECTF-CORET.UNR instead of CTF-CORET.UNR,

I think that with

bAutoDetect=True

It tries to find the excessive maps, but it doesn't find em :(

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
change:

MapVoteHistoryType=x3dfxMapVotev20.MapVoteHistory1

to

MapVoteHistoryType=x3dfxMapVotev21.MapVoteHistory1

wont fix it, but it bugs me.

i notice in the code when bAutoDetect is true, it will set the rest to false. not sure if thats causing it, but i like to keep autodetect off.

try this:

bAutoDetect=false

bCTF=True
bOther=True
MapPreFixOverRide=CTF
PreFixSwap=ECTF

that, i think, should cause ctf maps to load twice, once with the ctf- prefix and once with ectf- prefix. voting for ectf will cause excessive to load, and voting for ctf will cause regular to load. DM and whatever else can be enabeld as desired. i think the only thing missing is MapPreFixOverRide=CTF.

EDIT: if this doesnt work, there may be a bug or 5 in my code. i need to update mapvote anyway, so if it doesnt work let me know. in the meantime, try using a 3 character prefix for the swap.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Thanks for taking the trouble to answer user's questions, Bonehed31. Much appreciated :) .

About MonsterHunt, I am able to run it on a server no problem using the Other Game Package.GameClass option. I experimented using the admin servertravel command and it would seem that MH behaves just as any other gametype. I would happy help out any users that wish to run MonsterHunt on their server. Just send me a PM and I will give you my e-mail address to forward questions to.

There's one other question I have and that's concerning some entries in the server log :

ScriptLog: Mutators x3dfxMapVotev21.x3dfxMapVote,
ScriptLog: Add mutator x3dfxMapVotev21.x3dfxMapVote
Warning: Failed to load 'x3dfxMapVotev20': Can't find file for package 'x3dfxMapVotev20'
Warning: Failed to load 'Class x3dfxMapVotev20.MapVoteHistory1': Can't find file for package 'x3dfxMapVotev20'

Do you know what's causing this ? Perhaps this is relevant :

change:

to

Pziko Snake

((ITA)) Clan Member
Mar 7, 2003
not your business
digilander.iol.it
Bonehed316 said:
change:

to

i notice in the code when bAutoDetect is true, it will set the rest to false. not sure if thats causing it, but i like to keep autodetect off.

try this:

bAutoDetect=false

bCTF=True
bOther=True
MapPreFixOverRide=CTF
PreFixSwap=ECTF

that, i think, should cause ctf maps to load twice, once with the ctf- prefix and once with ectf- prefix. voting for ectf will cause excessive to load, and voting for ctf will cause regular to load. DM and whatever else can be enabeld as desired. i think the only thing missing is MapPreFixOverRide=CTF.

EDIT: if this doesnt work, there may be a bug or 5 in my code. i need to update mapvote anyway, so if it doesnt work let me know. in the meantime, try using a 3 character prefix for the swap.

hmmmmmmmm, I've put XCF instead of ECTF (the 3 chars prefix), put MapPreFixOverRide=CTF, setting bAutoDetect=False

it shows me all the maps (included the xcf ones), when I try to load that map.....

FAILED LAUNCHING URL
"XCF-GAUNTLET.unr" is missing (or something like that).

Well........ as I see there's nothing I can do about it, just do your best to fix it

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
Fearless, thanks for the PM. ill check it out later. and yes, that bug is related to those lines. the history class is either not changed, or i forgot to change it in my ini file. change it from 20 to 21 like i mentioned. keep reading, youll be changing it to 22 here in a sec, lol.

Pziko, i went ahead and updated mapvote. fixes include:

* general code optimizations
* replication updates, where some variables were passed twice
* added the ability to change button names in game, via the GameTypes window.

this will hopefully fix your problem. i reworked the code that reads the mapname from the list and transfers it to the serverTravel. in this build, i put it back to what BDB had originally, with some additions. it should generally be better now. the readme is slightly updated, and does include BDB's readme for the 304 build.

try the same settings i suggested yesterday. if it still doesnt work, then im lost, heh.

EDIT: i guess i could include the link, eh? it never changes, but its nice to put it in anyway. http://www.nightstormer.com/bonehed316/x3dfxMapVote.zip

the project is open source, but the package is stripped to reduce the size. contact me for source.

Last edited:

Pziko Snake

((ITA)) Clan Member
Mar 7, 2003
not your business
digilander.iol.it
okay........ man........

IT WORKED!!!!

thx, thx for makin this splendid mutator (and thanks to bdb for givin the source).

btw, there's an unneded line......

ExtraMutators=

Since there aren't thus lines:

bAllowButton=
ButtonName=

this is the only "bug (it isn't even a bug)" that I found since your new releases.

again, thank you

Bonehed316

Oct 15, 2001
Florida
Visit site
ExtraMutators=

that line isnt for a button. you add here mods you want to add to ALL buttons. that way, if you ALWAYS want some mod, you only need to add it once, and it will be added to ALL buttons. :)

but im glad it works. if you find any bugs, let me know.