UT3 TITAN PACK DETAILS REVEALED

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Oh, you think the Bot Customization screen being absent is bad?

I still have one, and only one, complaint about the Titan Pack, and the reason is justified: There's still no Skaarj. I mean, the Krall are OK, it's good seeing them again since Unreal 1, but they're not as badass as the Skaarj. Aggressive, yes. Badass, no.

The Skaarj are a staple of the Unreal series. I mean the logo is based off of their Raziks/Claws for crying out loud!! Why do we get another human and another robot instead of the Skaarj? I would be willing to wait an extra 2 weeks (No, that's not a reference to the 2 weeks thing) for the Titan Pack had they included the Skaarj.

I still pray that Epic held off on some of the Titan Pack details, meaning that they are including the Skaarj, but we just haven't heard about them.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Oh, you think the Bot Customization screen being absent is bad?

I still have one, and only one, complaint about the Titan Pack, and the reason is justified: There's still no Skaarj. I mean, the Krall are OK, it's good seeing them again since Unreal 1, but they're not as badass as the Skaarj. Aggressive, yes. Badass, no.

The Skaarj are a staple of the Unreal series. I mean the logo is based off of their Raziks/Claws for crying out loud!! Why do we get another human and another robot instead of the Skaarj? I would be willing to wait an extra 2 weeks (No, that's not a reference to the 2 weeks thing) for the Titan Pack had they included the Skaarj.

I still pray that Epic held off on some of the Titan Pack details, meaning that they are including the Skaarj, but we just haven't heard about them.
UT, neither UT2003, neither UChampionship had skaarj....yes UT later got skaarjhybrids with bonuspack and also console versions had them (if not counting the skaarj classes present in UnrealI and UnrealShare packages which were not used anyway and were part of Unreal) and UT2003 had them at least in invasion...still it is kind of weird that later Skaarj (at hybrids it is kinda tolerable as they are not entirely Skaarj)...talked english, I mean wtf...yeah it's understandable for the multiplayer type of game, but geez...ok anyway :lol:

Miker

Master Mullet
UT, neither UT2003, neither UChampionship had skaarj....yes UT later got skaarjhybrids with bonuspack and also console versions had them (if not counting the skaarj classes present in UnrealI and UnrealShare packages which were not used anyway and were part of Unreal) and UT2003 had them at least in invasion...still it is kind of weird that later Skaarj (at hybrids it is kinda tolerable as they are not entirely Skaarj)...talked english, I mean wtf...yeah it's understandable for the multiplayer type of game, but geez...ok anyway :lol:

Unreal Championship 2 had Skaarj. They went through something of drastic resdesign (read: fatter/slower) but they were still pretty badass, and fit the tone of the game well.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I am disappointed already in this pack. As a CTF lover, i was already disappointed that ut3 was released with 6stock maps. vertebrae is like useless, and they remade coret and hydrosis wich are one of the most crappiest ctf maps ever. typical defensive drawmaps,i still remember playing 25minutes of overtime on coret after 0-0. then in the first bonuspack they released a faceclassic remake with searchlight. still no use of them in any online leagues/tournaments... now in this pack they will release 3 ctf maps only, and one of them is only a dm-morbias mirrored. wow. these days are really sad for ctf...
i can only hope at least one of the rest 2 ctf maps would be decent for an 5on5 gameplay... but seriously, i dont believe...

and about greed. seriously, how can anyone think it will replace ctf?

To each his own, I suppose. I absolutely loved Coret and Hydrosis in UT and I loved playing them in UT3. In fact, I thought the CTF maps were among the best they've released (on the whole), though I do understand that 5v5 isn't optimal for some of them. Yes, Hyrdosis is a super-defensive map and yes Coret is confined and spammy.

But dear lord... grow a pair and figure out how to work together as a team to pull off a cap. Not every map is intended to be played the same way.

Incidentally, that's the reason I really like Vertebrae. It's unlike any other CTF map out there. I've seen vertical types of CTF maps before, but none that I can recall have pulled it off quite so well. Not to mention it has the back-to-back thing going for it. No doubt Epic was going for fun and hooks over rigid competitiveness and bland layouts.

Searchlight was a pretty fine map, but I'm sure fanatical play yields annoyances you find that you can't overcome as well.

Sorry if I sound rude, but when I you say things like "coret and hydrosis wich are one of the most crappiest ctf maps ever" I become irritated. Those are fine maps. If you're that competitive, can't one team find a way to break the defensive stranglehold and make it out with a flag? Sheesh.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Nah, not ALL, but he does have a point. Most of the retail maps for CTF seem to be an afterthought. Vert is interesting from a novelty standpoint, but it's not a map made for your traditional 5v5 ctf.

With that said, I understand that ctf is an old gametype. There are fewer and fewer of us pure ctf fans left these days. I can understand the focus on the newer gametypes. I hope this pack delivers.
Vert works pretty well for standard NW 5v5 play, howeer it requires quite change in typical strategical thinking and I would guess that nobody is interested in doing that.

Strident and Reflection are simply good maps.

Omicron has great design and flow, it's just a little confusing. But the map itself is really excellent.

Hydro is possibly only a halfway decent map really. I don't like it for anything but vs. bots and headshot city, but people used to clan it in UT, so...

Same with Coret, really. Can't blame them for putting in throwback maps that people liked.

I definitely wish they'd give CTF more love on number of maps, but I don't think the maps we have now are THAT terrible. Plus there are loads of great third party CTF maps.

Miker

Master Mullet
nub question, but what does nw mean?

and is there a chance that epic would push smaller bonus packs (like bonus pack 1) over steam, or at least advertise it a bit (say, on Steam News) as I assume they will do for the Titan Pack?

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I am disappointed already in this pack. As a CTF lover, i was already disappointed that ut3 was released with 6stock maps. vertebrae is like useless, and they remade coret and hydrosis wich are one of the most crappiest ctf maps ever. typical defensive drawmaps,i still remember playing 25minutes of overtime on coret after 0-0. then in the first bonuspack they released a faceclassic remake with searchlight. still no use of them in any online leagues/tournaments... now in this pack they will release 3 ctf maps only, and one of them is only a dm-morbias mirrored. wow. these days are really sad for ctf...
i can only hope at least one of the rest 2 ctf maps would be decent for an 5on5 gameplay... but seriously, i dont believe...

and about greed. seriously, how can anyone think it will replace ctf?
As Hal and Brizz have argued, most of the CTF maps are fine. (Although I'm not as big a fan of Vertebrae as they are, but it's still interesting.) In fact, if you're so ultra-competitive, you should be able to hold your own just fine, because most of the people playing CTF now aren't ultra-competitive CTF players.

Of course, you could always try VCTF, but from the sound of things, vehicles are too dumb and even spammier with all of those lame one-hit kills that take no strategy whatsoever to use and so you're not even going to bother, right? :rolleyes:

I know the HOLP pack has some good maps. Check them out. Check out the CBP3 pack, there's a few more there, too. Third party maps have never stopped a ladder from adding the really popular ones to their ladder... what this is, is simply changing tastes. "Pure" TDM and CTF players are a dying breed - there's a reason why the two most populous gametypes in UT3 are VCTF and Warfare, and it's because that's what people want to play. It's a lot easier to play something when you can occasionally kill a guy with a vehicle as opposed to him simply comboing you in the face anytime you get near him at all.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I would be willing to wait an extra 2 weeks
Because we all know you can build, skin, rig, animate, and whatever else you need to do to a bunch of models to make them work, in 2 weeks.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008

The Skaarj have better things to do. Bring a real badass race like the Mercenaries - those were strong.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Unreal Championship 2 had Skaarj. They went through something of drastic resdesign (read: fatter/slower) but they were still pretty badass, and fit the tone of the game well.

They looked nothing like skaarj at all, but I said Unreal Chamspionship, not 2 at all...
But what irritates me that obviouly during the cutscenes the skaarj were seen talking.....I mean what the hell?
I would understand having taunts like that, fine then, but even in cutscenes? That's a bit of a problem.
That's why these storylines should not be taken seriously.

And about the CTF maps, I don't think UT3 ones are bad either.....only that hydrosis makes me very low fps and coret does too, although not as hard as hydrosis.
I guess the players who complain about maps wanna play in box-like maps, like these found in some online servers, especially in ut2004, when they tell you that you have no taste for maps if you don't vote simple one box room ctf map where others will play.
Yeah that's reality.

Last edited:

shamandgg

Feb 26, 2009
New guy joining MP UT3 community :)

Hello everyone,

This is great news I am hearing. Imagine or not, I have been playing UT3 for quite long, not online though. It is just my drop-in, kill the bots, routine on my laptop. I just found out about this huge pack - and decided I better install this game on main computer now :) instead of deathmatching while @ work.

I have read the entire thread. And you know what! I am having exactly the same kind of crashes with OpenAL turned on (XP SP3 + X-FI card), pity, because it is a great sound card. This is what I just realized... uh-oh.

I just can't wait for this new pack :) :) :) I loved all Unreal and UT games, and I find UT3 the best in the series - I really don't understand why so many people complained. Yes, UI is limited - but come on - the deatmatch is just so unreal! fastpasted, killer thing, that's all what UT is about - and UT3 makes it good, plays good, sounds good, looks goods. Juicy game, now with more juice, mmmm.... I think I'll get my GF to play this game with me even now :) :) :)

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Because we all know you can build, skin, rig, animate, and whatever else you need to do to a bunch of models to make them work, in 2 weeks.

Oh, I didn't think of that. They CERTAINLY would not have been able to work on the girl, robot, and at least 1-2 Skaarj simultaneously, right? I would even accept it if they delayed the Pack indefinitely just to add the Skaarj.

I don't care what you guys say. I want the Skaarj back. Also, how the hell do you put a Mercenary into UT3 without them losing the key thing that makes them unique, their Arm Gun? Plus, they're annoying. Them and their stupid shields... but enough of that. Hopefully they'll pull a UT and release the Skaarj in another bonus pack. Also, how come all of the Skaarj I've seen in development for UT3 were never finished? There's also this really (and I mean REALLY) good looking Skaarj model that someone made, but nobody bothered to make playable (it was skinned and everything for crying out loud!).

Why does everyone care that Malcolm didn't make it as a playable character, but no one even thinks about the Skaarj? Malcolm isn't the star of the Unreal series, the Skaarj are.

Y'know what, I would be happy even if someone ported over Dominator (from my avatar) into UT3. EvilEngine did it with Gaargod, so why not Dominator?

Last edited: