Virtual Reality - Oculus Rift

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The resolution is low but what impressed me was the potential for this thing - Once they pump it up to 1080p. I guarantee it will blow you away - even on the lower resolution, I was impressed with things like the head tracking and how the whole thing fills your entire field of view when turning - it really is like being in a holodeck.
Give this thing 6 months more development time and some nice ports and I think it will shake things up quite a bit.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Why 1080p? At such distance wouldn't 720p suffice?

What I'm more curious about is the long term effects (eye ache / neck pain), and after 1+ hour of use it probably makes your hair look fucking terrible. :p

Last edited:

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
I think y'all want to see this hands on review. It has some serious issues. The Occulus rift I mean, not the review.

[m]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCWwa7u7uM[/m]

I think I'll stick with Natural Point for now.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Yup, pretty exciting to see Carmack join Oculus, some other id guy also joined Carmack in the new office in Texas.

I got my Rift 3 days ago, and I've been having a blast with it. My computer is pretty bad though, really starting to show its age. Bought it 6 years ago. Most games run sub 45 FPS, even at the lowest acceptable settings, when using the Rift. Even Half Life 2 and Minecraft. I'm getting a new PC, probably on wednesday. Bad FPS is basically a massive problem, since it introduces extra latency and well, low FPS sucks. On top of that, everything looks like crap, because I'm running on low settings. Low FPS also makes the screen more likely to tear, which looks crazy in VR.

The screen is amazing though, my biggest issue is basically the latency. Once that is resolved, with my new PC, I feel like I could easily spend hours playing Minecraft or other games with the Rift on.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Figured I would bump this because of all of the love and excitement that the DK2 generated, as well as the Sony VR headset getting some very surprisingly positive press as well (the HMZ is meh, so the very enthusiastic response for Sony's set is great).

Here's a link (the video is worth watching, as there are two really solid interviews) http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/oculus-rift-development-kit-2/ I don't know how excited everyone else is, but I'm pretty much dying. Palmer Lucky keeps telling us consumers not to buy a set but ugh. No release date yet.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
DK2 is pretty good, I've worked with three iterations of the hardware now. DK2 isn't where it ends though, this hardware is going to get a lot better before a proper public version emerges :)

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I've preordered the DK2, simply because I also got the first DK, and I really liked it. Sold it off a few months ago, since I didn't get that much use out of it anymore, and I figured they would announce something soon. When I get DK2, I think I'll subscribe to that new UE4 deal and do some level creation. Just make some funny explorable stuff for people to check out.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
So ... I guess no public release anytime soon?

Yeah, it's the worst. My honest to god guess is that it might hit somewhere between November-January, as they're pretty much almost exactly where they want to be in terms of latency, feel and resolution, and this last push seems to be getting hardware partners and large scale manufacturing in place.

That's what I'm hoping at least, and what I'm telling myself as I hold off buying DK2 (only because I know my wife would murder me if I bought it and then bought the higher res version when it hit).

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Welp

At least they gave us time to cancel preorders. I'm going to give this a bit of time, see how it pans out, but it doesn't look good. I really do not understand this move. The money is nice, but at the end of the day, Facebook will only make the product worse.