Deus Ex Junk

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
My list seems to grow about as fast as I complete stuff. Some of the stuff is just ideas, though, which I may decide are stupid. Right now I'm working on making retrievable projectiles (darts, etc.) behave a bit more realistically. Instead of disappearing when they hit decorations, they stick, as they would to a wall. I'm trying to make them bounce off of metal and glass ones. Once the bouncing's working, I'm gonna set 'em up to bounce off of level geometry if the texture it hits is something hard, like metal or rock. Once that's all working, I'll work on having them add themselves to the inventories of pawns you hit, so they can be retrieved from their corpses.

Besides some small details I'd like to mess with, some of the larger things I'd like to add are making the spy drone capable of frobbing things (accessing computers, using keypads, etc.) remotely, giving the plasma rifle limited wall penetration abilities (coupled with IR goggles or the new vision aug, the plasma rifle might actually have a purpose this way), and decapitation.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
mmm, decapitation

If I recall correctly, I felt some of the weapons were useless after you had some of the others, ie the pump shotgun seemed useless once you had the auto shot. Also the silenced pistol seems to do nerf damage compaired to a silenced regular pistol. You do anything with them?

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
The regular pistol doesn't accept silencer mods in DX. I've changed that. The stealth pistol has always been more rapid than the regular pistol, though, which makes up for it's reduced damage a bit. I don't remember their relative accuracies, but my stealth pistol at least is more accurate than the regular pistol. It can also shoot underwater. It can't accept a laser sight, though, since it's a weird shape. They may need more modification; balance isn't really my forte.

For a while I had the sawed off shotgun's damage pumped up quite a bit. Then I remembered that several people in the PDX forums liked the sawed off as it was. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with them. I think I may have increased the accuracy difference between the two weapons.
Also, shotguns now have an absolute spread. What changes with skill and weapon mods is how close to where you're aiming the center of the spread lands. So you can't turn your shotgun into a sniper rifle anymore. Also, the sabot rounds now fire all five traces at the same spot, acting like a single slug.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
All grenades have had that ridiculous bounce sound replaced. I think that's the only change.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Some random stuff I've implemented:

Weapons can only have one reload mod, having the same effect as five used to have. Reload mods never seemed to be very plentiful, and thus sorta pointless additions to your weapons.

I moved the 1st person mesh of the plasma rifle over to the right a bit to make it seem a bit more like you're holding it like a rifle, as you do in 3rd person.

NPCs no longer scream when gibbed. Kinda hard to scream when your noise-making and -manipulating parts are in pieces flying in random directions. Killing them with a headshot makes them grunt, which sends the same audible alert to other NPCs as pain does, instead of the loud death noise. Hard to test AI sound events, so I'm not sure how big the difference there is, but I assume it's quieter, and in any case it's kinda a neat effect that also lets you know when you get a clean headshot.

You can now pull decorations from underneath other decorations, if you're strong enough. I was hoping to let you carry stacks of decos, but I don't know how to get that to work, at least not without a lot of annoying code that memorizes the relative rotation and position of decos to their bases.

Carcs of torched people smoke for a while.
Some stuff relating to ammo retrieval from carcs.

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Personaly I think DX1 had better physics then DX2, so what if DX2 had Karma/Havoc, you couldnt stack decos, you tcouldn hurt people by droping things on them. You threw corpses about as far as you could throw a basketball, it was all messed up.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
IW had fancier physics, but the calibration was definitely quite a bit off. And the way you jumped was freaky. It was slow and floaty, and high.

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
IW had the code for better physics, but they didnt do it right. Also for somereason I couldnt get IW to run smooth, it ran better the higher I set the settings, but it just didnt seem like a good game, so I gave it away.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
It was a pretty good game, but compared to the original it was rather pathetic.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Your hands are now the color you selected.

Attachments

• black.jpg
    black.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 17
  • tan.jpg
    tan.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 18
  • white.jpg
    white.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 18
  • albino.jpg
    albino.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 18

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
If you're standing on a decoration, you footstep sounds are now based on what it's made of, instead of what the ground under it is made of. It always bugged me that jumping on metal crates in the grass on Liberty Island made grass noises.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
That's largely what I'm going for, with sundry additons.

Rather than quickly putting away their weapons when killed, NPCs now drop whatever weapon they're carrying.
Rather than affecting accuracy, adding a laser weapon mod to the GEP gun will now cut the time it takes to get a lock in half.
Shells are reloaded individually into the sawed off shotgun. Could use a better sound, but the functionality's working.

Last edited:

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Been replaying the game. I recall one of my major complaints IMHO was that there was not enough tranq darts and riot prod ammo in the game. I love just running up and riot proding someone.

Also why is it that if you tranq dart someone they instantly know you there, I hate sneaking up on someone, tranq them, then they turn and shoot me.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
What, you think it's weird that someone should turn to see who just stuck a big dart in their back? Headshots are a bit easier with retrievable projectiles now, since their collision sizes are zero until they stick to something. That means their HitLocation can be more precise. Also, the headshot detection code appears to be totally bogus, so I'm gonna try to fix that sometime.
Wha'd'you need nonlethal ammo for when you got a baton?

I've make skill affect the speed with which you pump the sawed off shotgun, so you get a little ROF bonus at higher skill levels.

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
yea baton sweet, but I love riot proding people. *zap-zap*

Yea I know they should turn and look for you, but I hate creeping up on someone, leaning around a corner, firing a shot, then leaning back, then having the guy I shot come running around the corner and shoot me in the face.