Mod to standalone release

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NaliCow

Jan 2, 2015
Happy New Year! :D

So here comes a question to all those UT modding fans out there :)

Which community project for any of the beloved UT games started as a mod and finally made it to retail release?

The following ones already sprang to my mind.

UT99:
- Mobile Forces
- Tactical Ops

UT2k3:
- ?

UT2k4:
- AirBuccaneers
- Alien Swarm
- Red Orchestra
- Killing Floor
- Damnation (never gave it a try - looks like single player only type?)

UT3:
- Renegade X
- The Ball
- Sanctum

I'm sure that together we will achieve a complete list :D

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Pretty sure Mobile Forces was always a game developed by ex-DMA Design/Rockstar North guys and never a mod.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
What engine version does Mobile Forces run on? Sites list it as under Unreal Engine 1 but I know it was announced with Unreal Warfare engine, which is before they started differentiating UEngine 1 and 2 in such a way. But what is the build number?

NaliCow

Jan 2, 2015
@leilei
I could have sworn that I've played it as a UT mod back in the days.
But I guess you're right then - seems like there hasn't been an UT mod.

@Leo
As far as I remember it was the UE1, because most of the vehicle code was already included (but remained unused until then).

So - how about further mod projects ended up standalone releases? :)

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I am speaking about the original naming, this engine is not so much UE1 as its UW. I remember clearly that it was announced to be on Unreal Warfare. Unreal Warfare started early on, during what is these days still being called UE1. It was a bridging point between those two "generations" so to speak. There were no vehicle provisions in the original Unreal engine, only in the Warfare one.

Can you tell me the engine build/version number? Just run the game if you have it and tell me what the log/menu says or firstrun= in the config file. That should give me clearer understanding of it.

Last edited:

NaliCow

Jan 2, 2015
I am speaking about the original naming, this engine is not so much UE1 as its UW. I remember clearly that it was announced to be on Unreal Warfare. Unreal Warfare started early on, during what is these days still being called UE1. It was a bridging point between those two "generations" so to speak. There were no vehicle provisions in the original Unreal engine, only in the Warfare one.

Can you tell me the engine build/version number? Just run the game if you have it and tell me what the log/menu says or firstrun= in the config file. That should give me clearer understanding of it.

Sorry for the delay - had to install MF first :)
So ... FirstRun says: 10411

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Sorry for the delay - had to install MF first :)
So ... FirstRun says: 10411
That would make it indeed past the "UE1" era and indeed early UE2 or UW.
It was presented back then in previews as engine unreal warfare back in 2001, I had a physicalmagazine with that info in. And I'd trust that magazine too because it was still at a time where information was correct and not relied upon unreliable/questionable sources like these days, etc.
And indeed what you looked up would prove that theory.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
a big number doesn't mean ****. UE1 doesn't magically become UE2 by changing a version number. The press wasn't 100% fact all the time then either, leading to the very reported lie that was the "Quake III Team Arena Engine"*

also you think they didn't make their own vehicle code? after all their previous games were primarily vehicular based...

*- Team Arena was only a mod and some adjustment to map compiling tools; there were no additional engine changes like "skeletal animation" and "compressed textures" - those were mostly Ubertools framework additions which don't get mentioned at all in reviews and previews.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
a big number doesn't mean ****. UE1 doesn't magically become UE2 by changing a version number. The press wasn't 100% fact all the time then either, leading to the very reported lie that was the "Quake III Team Arena Engine"*

also you think they didn't make their own vehicle code? after all their previous games were primarily vehicular based...

*- Team Arena was only a mod and some adjustment to map compiling tools; there were no additional engine changes like "skeletal animation" and "compressed textures" - those were mostly Ubertools framework additions which don't get mentioned at all in reviews and previews.
You have no idea what you're talking about. So stfu. Thanks.
I never read such false reviews stating such bullshit and I know enough of the background and the engine to determine this for myself.
Unlike those cheapo magazines and reviews, this was from a mag that stayed decent and factual based back then, based on real and official information and not some PR hype and fabricated stories/speculations.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It is the original Unreal Warfare engine. For you to understand it went like this: UE1, UW, UE2. The Unreal Warfare engine hardly got featured and this game is one of the exceptions. The original Unreal Warfare did not have as much "COG" references like the later stuff.
leilei: Deleting your post in attempt to save your ass is really not a smart thing to do.
Also your claims pertaining Karma, Karma wasn't even in all UE2 titles, it was used specificaly by ut2003 and ut2004 but not all UE2 titles had it. I think Unreal 2 didn't even use it as such even. And the map extensions hardly mean anything. You just fail flat on your claims here.

Last edited: