Who is the de facto leader of the Republican Party?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Recently the Republicans scored a major coup in Massachusetts with the "victory" of Republican Scott Brown over Democrat Martha Coakley (which was definitely a case of a candidate losing an election as she had a 30-point lead in the polls with only a couple of months until the election). The Democrats had their super-majority and lost it, and now there is growing sentiment in some groups that the Democrats are on their heels and the Republicans will have a greater toe-hold leading into this November's mid-term elections.

It still begs the question though: who is actually leading the Republican Party? There doesn't seem to be any real consensus among at least the general American public and at times Republicans themselves that they have a guy they rally around to get their message heard. Maybe it's too soon for this conversation (as the Presidential election is still two years away), but I'm curious to see who people think the main figurehead for the GOP is.

Here's a list of some of the more popular names, and some that you might hear more about in the coming months and years:

• John McCain, former Presidential candidate and current Senator (AZ)
  • Rush Limbaugh, conservative talk-radio political commentator
  • Glenn Beck, conservative political commentator
  • Sarah Palin, former Vice-Presidential candidate and governor (AK) and current FOX News political commentator
  • Michael Steele, former Lt. Governor (MD) and current Republican National Committee chairman
  • Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader (KY)
  • John Boehner, House Minority Leader (OH)
  • Richard (Dick) Lugar, most Senior Republican Sentor (IN)
  • Mitt Romney, former Governor (MA) and Presidential candidate
  • Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the House (GA)
  • Scott Brown, current Senator (MA)
  • Mike Huckabee, former Governor (AR) and current FOX News political commentator
  • Tim Pawlenty, current Governor
Any thoughts?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
For the sake of argument, I'd say that Democrats are having the same problem. Is it Harry Reid? Nancy Pelosi? President Obama? There doesn't seem to be a consensus among them who their main figurehead is either.

I'm really hoping that Mitt Romney runs for office again, particularly if the economy hasn't righted itself. He has a reputation of fixing horrible financial situations.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
There's no such thing. The "leader" of the Republican party is something that Democrats have to come up with in order to create an enemy to focus on. The reality is that it's a political party, and like any political party has a wide degree of variation between it's members and their beliefs. Sometimes the party might rally behind a particular person, but this only happens for convenience sake. So that they can win an election or gain power in the senate for instance.

As far as who is most likely to make big splashes in the future I'd probably state Mitt Romney, John Huntsman, Newt Gingrich, and Tim Pawlenty. Although it will be interesting to see if Newt Gingrich really is as polarizing as many people say. He's probably one of the better thinkers, always able to come up with new and effective ideas.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I'd say the bigger issue isn't WHO can lead the GOP, but can the party come together and work together for its common goals? Maybe the way to accomplish that is to have a single leader to take the party forward, but it isn't necessary. Odd how the Democrats are pulling their own party apart and are failing to realize this EVEN after the Massachusetts upset last month. The Administration, Senate and House seem to disagree on almost everything, even though they are all lead by leftist Democrats.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I'd say the bigger issue isn't WHO can lead the GOP, but can the party come together and work together for its common goals? Maybe the way to accomplish that is to have a single leader to take the party forward, but it isn't necessary. Odd how the Democrats are pulling their own party apart and are failing to realize this EVEN after the Massachusetts upset last month. The Administration, Senate and House seem to disagree on almost everything, even though they are all lead by leftist Democrats.

The more I hear the more I wonder about the US political system.

Having a party leader would help define the partie's stance, having no leader helps indecision etc.
I wouldn't vote for a party where none's responsible for the lot, everybody just flip flopping 'round issues.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
"everybody just flip flopping 'round issues"

That pretty much sums up US politics. Until we come up with more than a 2-party system or one group remains in office long enough to actually do something positive (preferably the Democrats), then really nothing will get done and the system will continue to screw over the general public. By the way, there is no 'ME' in 'US'.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
"everybody just flip flopping 'round issues"

That pretty much sums up US politics. Until we come up with more than a 2-party system or one group remains in office long enough to actually do something positive (preferably the Democrats), then really nothing will get done and the system will continue to screw over the general public. By the way, there is no 'ME' in 'US'.

I'm right now reading myself smart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)#Structure_and_composition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politi...es#Organization_of_American_political_parties

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
For the time being, John McCain is still the closest thing to an actual leader that they have.

Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh? Seriously? Those looney-tunes reactionist morons? They should not be on anybody's list as political leaders. They exist to demonize the democrats and nothing more. If you asked either one to do something that involved actual leadership and decision making they'd probably **** their pants.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
For the sake of argument, I'd say that Democrats are having the same problem. Is it Harry Reid? Nancy Pelosi? President Obama? There doesn't seem to be a consensus among them who their main figurehead is either.

If the party has a member acting as the president that member is assumed to be the leader.

Common man, I learned that in 12th grade government class.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If the party has a member acting as the president that member is assumed to be the leader.

Common man, I learned that in 12th grade government class.
What I mean is that none of those people have policies or ideals that mesh with everyone else in their party. Both parties have become dysfunctional and broken, there is not party unity except when it comes to blocking dumb pieces of legislation that are brought out by the opposite party.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
What I mean is that none of those people have policies or ideals that mesh with everyone else in their party. Both parties have become dysfunctional and broken, there is not party unity except when it comes to blocking dumb pieces of legislation that are brought out by the opposite party.

If everyone within each others part believed in the same exact issues then we would be even more polarized. :p