Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, lady in blue is a part of the nikopol saga right?
I should definitely read it.

Drag me to hell: 8/10

I really enjoyed watching this movie. Because of the dark humour. Reminded me of his early movies (such as evil dead 2). Alison lohman is an incredible cutie (what a pretty smile hmm..), and she played her part pretty well.
Fun horror movie. I missed the old camera shots from earlier on, though. Those were insane.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Tunnel Rats 2/10

Don't bother! They spend so much time trying to create this big powerful metaphor for life and death that they completely drop the ball in almost every other area. Story, character development, plot, progression, dialogue, etc....boooring.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
It's been some time but I finally managed finding a good movie!

In Bruges 8/10

This is also the first movie where Collin Farrel is not an annoyance. Go watch if you enjoy crime comedies.

Tunnel Rats 2/10

Don't bother! They spend so much time trying to create this big powerful metaphor for life and death that they completely drop the ball in almost every other area. Story, character development, plot, progression, dialogue, etc....boooring.

Any other sane person knows not to waste time watching Boll movies ;)

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Brick. Gangster language is fun for everyone, man. And the cinematographer has been watching his rule of thirds. Don't get me wrong though - this is a carefully constructed neo-noir movie in a very unusual setting (that nevertheless works). It does seem overly stylized at times, but all the references to and themes taken from classic titles make it highly enjoyable. 8/10

Double Indemnity. Brilliant. The dialogue between the two main characters, especially before the murder, is among the best. The plot twists toward the end came unexpected and all the little insinuations between pretty much all cast members leave a lot to be read into the movie still. Not to be missed. 10/10

Los Abrazos Rotos. This one doesn't reach up to other Almodóvar films I've seen, as it's simply not as original, but that's a terribly high standard to aim for, and I enjoyed it a lot still. The acting is great all around, as are the very colourful pictures and the plot, while not surprising, serves with some quality comedy breaks. I really want to see the movie-in-the-movie. 8/10

RAS Nucléaire, Rien à Signaler. A documentary arguing against nuclear power from an original point of attack: the social issues attached to it. Little is known about the fact, that in recent years, much of the work in reactors has been let out to subcontractors, which both puts the workers into precarious conditions and shifts responsibility away, further down the chain of command, thus reducing oversight and creating risks. Very interesting. 8/10

Lockerbie Revisited. What begins as a re-evaluation of the bombing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie quickly descends into a retarded conspiracy theory. The investigative journalist - and I use the term loosely - questions the little evidence that was used to convict one of the indicted persons back in the 90s, but fails to back up the alternative scenarios that he insinuates with any evidence of his own. He confronts witnesses with horrible manners, in unsuited situations and keeps making a big show about his feeling of doubt. Add in the expected bits of Anti-Americanism. I'm surprised this stupid little documentary made it into a film festival line-up. 2/10

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Perdita Durango I'm still trying to make up a rating. Movie was good, pretty violent at times but the movie never devolves into stupid monsterfest or psycho killer routine so it pays paying attention.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Sunshine 9/10

In a couple of years this one will hopefully get the recognition it deserves and people will mention it in the same breath with classics such as Alien.

I ignored it before because the title doesn't sound like much (though it's powerfully fitting, if you know the movie) and the synopsis sounds like The Core, which was a tad on the stupid side... Then I also read it's "just another slasher movie in space" so I decided not to see it.
I'm glad I finally picked it up though, because it's a very good movie.

Interesting because:
  • fairly hard sci-fi
  • great production values
  • some very majestic scenes
  • talented cast
  • no tacked on love interest
  • interesting religious subtext that shouldn't feel like a lecture to anyone

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Sunshine 9/10

In a couple of years this one will hopefully get the recognition it deserves and people will mention it in the same breath with classics such as Alien.

I ignored it before because the title doesn't sound like much (though it's powerfully fitting, if you know the movie) and the synopsis sounds like The Core, which was a tad on the stupid side... Then I also read it's "just another slasher movie in space" so I decided not to see it.
I'm glad I finally picked it up though, because it's a very good movie.

Interesting because:
  • fairly hard sci-fi
  • great production values
  • some very majestic scenes
  • talented cast
  • no tacked on love interest
  • interesting religious subtext that shouldn't feel like a lecture to anyone

I absolutely loved Sunshine until they took the slasher twist, which infuriated me.

It pretty much ruined what was an outstanding movie.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I absolutely loved Sunshine until they took the slasher twist, which infuriated me.

It pretty much ruined what was an outstanding movie.

Yeah. I still enjoyed the movie, but the whole sun making dude insane thing was contrived at best. If they had kept the movie solely on the crew and things going wrong, as things are wont to do, it would have been perfect.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Yes, true shame on that "slasher" bit. It did ruin the movie partially. Luckily prior to this dissapointment the movie works quite well.

I don't know about that. I kinda liked the slasher part, had some interesting ideas and stuff. I also liked the creepyness is got. But yeah, might have been better if they had gone without it.

I also found it rather amazing that Chris Evans was actually pretty good here, in all other movies I've seen him in he's really bad. Sadly for him though, Cillian Murphy completely "outshone" him.

It's sad that this movie doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

8/10!

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
More movies from the festival of documentaric film I've visited this week:

Actors - No IMDB entry. From the festival's program: "Shooting a feature film in a Polish home for old actors. You're never too old for intrigue, plotting murder and minor vanities. A masterpiece about the immortality of evil and art." Now, these aging actors weren't quite that evil - in fact, "adorable" seems like a better description. It's original and cute and about ten minutes too long. 7/10

Kansakunnan Olohuone aka The Living Room Of The Nation - It's Finnish alright. Reminiscent of Kaurismäki, this documentary features a cast of odd yet loveable characters that - in this case - happen to be real people. Some of the scenes were pushing the documentary envelope though, and once again, it turned out to be a little too long for its own good. 7/10

Das Rudel - No IMDB entry. From the festival's program: "The ultras of the 1. FC Union Berlin football club. We are right in the middle of the fan curve and follow the choreography of the masses. Raised fists, rhythmic clapping, goose bumps. Let the dance begin." This is one of my two favourite movies from the festival. A novel approach to the "problem" (?) of extreme football fans, raising questions about their portrayal in the media and impressing with overwhelming shots - as well as keeping up my initial unease about masses and mob behaviour. 9/10

Überall Nur Nicht Hier - A little too long, once again. Other than that, this was an interesting, if unsurprising portrayal of life in Srbrenica fifteen years after. The character of the orthodox priest was a little too one-sided, given the complexity of the other two main protagonists, the no-bullshit-mayor and the young woman that had to come back to Bosnia after the war but doesn't have a future - unless, and that is the documentary's main message, the country becomes a real part of Europe. 7/10

Last edited:

I would say that it's getting the recognition it deserves right now. It's a good movie made by a consistently good director. But to be mentioned in the same breadth as Alien (a sub-genre spawning, landmark sci-fi horror film) it would have had to have achieved something touchstone, or shatter any preconceived notions about "the space movie." It doesn't. It does space well, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. Actually, it brings a whole lot of old.

I'll also mirror some the comments made by others about the Chris Evans character. I thought he did a good job in this one when more or less I've had him pegged as another Paul Walker type in his other flicks. A lot of that might have to do with the fact that most of the main cast are zombies throughout this one though.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The Age of Innocence-7.5/10

One of Scorcese's style pieces. A slowly moving tale which does captivate and has a lot of emotion. Brilliant acting and camera work/composition.

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore-7.5/10

Great acting from all concerned. A hard movie tow watch although this isn't the first time I've seen it. The music form that period is really well used.

Skykids-8/10

A really good kids adventure that surprised me by the depth of the characters. Really great acting all round. Easily watched by kids of all ages.