BBC: Girl Gamers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
ESReality pointed out an interesting BBC article, Girl gamers strike at the Boys. The article interviews some female gamers and sheds light on their perspective of online multiplayer gaming.

The BBC article targets one 26-year-old female gamer, Anja Maller. She is a single mother studying to be a journalist and can hold her own in the male dominated virtual world. In addition, she's very attractive --unlike some of you male g33ks reading this news post. Take time to read this interesting article.

H

HuggyBear

What?

You mean all those players out there using female skins are actually male?!?

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
And lets not forget Asia here either :)

The concept of having seperate competitions for each sex is pretty preposterous IMO. Anyone who wants to be judged as a player has to play with the rest. It's not like female gamers are a step behind either, there have been a number of fantastic female players on theses forums (Xylene, Troll and Ineffectual spring to mind). A female presence is also good to offset the colosal testostarone-driven ego trips that some player go on :D

Having female players in the game can only be good for gaming :tup:

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Flame/NiKiTa has owned fragbu a lot...

IMHO, as the female brain is more adept at multitasking they're probably more adept at teamgames with objectives. Maybe someone should study that.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
I'm not certain I agree with you, edhe, but I don't have any data to back up my claim that multitasking is a practiced talent and isn't inherent to either gender. But, then again, maybe that's why the gamers that ACT like wee sniffling girls tend to win a lot in sniper arenas. Boy, you headshot some clanners in their own house and they come out of the woodwork to track you down!

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Well, males do tend to blue screen when a female gamer enters. I wouldn't say females can "multitask" better than males (or vice versa), but I will say that when females are around, males freeze up worse than Windows 95.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Huggybear, don't be too afraid, at least 80-90% of female skin users still seem to be male :p.

Personally I think the theory of women being superior multitaskers is a myth, I've never seen any evidence to suggest there's any difference. People seem to treat the different genders like they're different species, but other than the obvious there isn't really as much difference as we're led to believe (men are from mars, women are from venus and similar butt-produce)...

Last edited:

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
I just think it's amusing that a lot of boys skin themselves as women, then run around calling everyone gay. ;)

I agree with you completey, SirYawnAlot; there may be many differences between the sexes, but I don't think either has an innate talent to be a better gamer. Women just seem to have an edge around younger males, as Prophetus suggests....