Which Unreal version should I buy!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unrealmaster287

Feb 17, 2012
Hey,
I have been a fan of the Unreal series ever since the unreal gold came out, I currently own unreal gold, unreal tournament 3 (retail and i redeemed on steam) and unreal tournament GOTY, I have also played UT2004 a lot on my friend’s laptop: P

Now here is my dilemma, I am wondering whether to by UT duel pack on steam or the unreal anthology retail. Since I already own 3 games I only want unreal 2 and UT2004, the anthology version is cheaper (19.99 on amazon) and comes with the soundtrack.

But the Steam version guarantees that I will never lose/destroy the disk (My UT3 collectors eddition disk is almost distroyed :p) and has the steam friends integration. But on the otherhand what happens to me if steam dies with the new XBLA windows 8 integration :eek: will i be able to install it outside steam :(

PS: I am also a loyal steam customer

Also does the UT2004 editor’s choice edition on steam contain the editor choice content and the tutorials or is it basically the normal one. Same question for unreal gold and UT GOTY

Finally are there any problems with the steam versions, i.e. will all mods work on them/ will they be fully patched, I asked this because I heard some people have problems with umods on steam version

Anyother reasons to go for one over the other will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Unrealmaster287

Feb 17, 2012
The retail version is cheaper and comes with the soundtrack, it's a no brainer.

Learn to look after your game disks :p

true

I did learn how look after my discs but it was too late :(

But isnt steam more convinient in terms of getting me the latest patches

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Get the retail disk and make a back-up. Can you imagine how mad people are going to be when Steam goes out of business someday? LOL

Ugh why do people always refer to steam as a business? It isn't a damn business, it is software. Valve is the business, not steam. I do not apply for a job at steam, I apply for a job at Valve. If steam fails, Valve is the one that will suffer huge losses.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Get the retail disk and make a back-up. Can you imagine how mad people are going to be when Steam goes out of business someday? LOL

What Toilet said, and:

Valve is one of the very few game developers who has some semblance of sanity. So if they go out of business, I'm sure they will try to go out of their way to provide customers a way to play the games in a permanent offline mode.

Now, I can't say the same for Microsoft's GFWL and EA's Origin...

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
I don't use Steam so I am ignorant about it and its developer. Sorry for that. My answer stays the same though. Get the retail disk in my opinion.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I don't use Steam so I am ignorant about it and its developer. Sorry for that. My answer stays the same though. Get the retail disk in my opinion.
I'm very curious as to why you don't use it. I have a general idea as to why you might not use it but those are very old and outdated reasons.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Hi JD641. I have logged in and checked it out before. I even did that recently. I don't use it because I already own all of the UT stuff I want and it is all I play or admin so there was no need for me to ever use Steam. That's the best answer I have. I hear that some of the things from Steam are actually different and sometimes cause issues with playing with people who bought the actual cd of the game. Just little things like that keep me away from it. I have nothing against Steam as a whole. If I changed games every once in a while I would see a greater need for a service such as Steam.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Hi JD641. I have logged in and checked it out before. I even did that recently. I don't use it because I already own all of the UT stuff I want and it is all I play or admin so there was no need for me to ever use Steam. That's the best answer I have. I hear that some of the things from Steam are actually different and sometimes cause issues with playing with people who bought the actual cd of the game. Just little things like that keep me away from it. I have nothing against Steam as a whole. If I changed games every once in a while I would see a greater need for a service such as Steam.

So basically what you're saying is you're not a gamer and only an Unreal fan? Most of us probably got on steam through Half Life 2, you never played that?

Last edited: