UT Neo_b's Stargate Map

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Neo_b

Jul 2, 2008
Hello. I have recently come close to finishing my Stargate map. I have coded a set of actors for the map of mine, allowing people to dial other Stargates by choosing certain symbols.

Guide:

Come in front of the dialing device, you are now in control of it (in network play you will lose control of the device if you are idle or if you use it for too long). You choose the symbols by clicking them (like firing a weapon). Each of the symbols currently blinking can be chosen as the next one (if you wish your address to be valid). There are two blinking modes - in one of them all possible next symbols are blinking, in the other one, only those, which will compose an address of a planet that has life (players, bots) on it (you switch the modes with right clicking the white button). The final symbol (point of origin) won't lock, unless the address is valid and the stargate on the other end is closed. If any stargate closes, the top chevrons of all stargates blink, to inform everyone about it. If the final symbol locked, and you still can't connect - the stargate on the other end must have been opened after you locked the final symbol. Press red button to open the stargate connection (right click it, to automatically dial a random address from the blinking symbols). The Earth dialing device is different, but easier to use. Also, keep in mind, that only Earth and Atlantis are capable of establishing inter-galactic connections (the 8-symbol addresses).

Check how it works for yourselves. :)

Keep in mind though, that this is a test version. I have not added any pickups to the map yet. Any bug reporting is most welcome. All ideas are also welcome. Please tell me if there are any files missing, I am unsure if the GOTY version of UT has any textures that the normal UT does not.

The link:

http://neo.subi.pl/DM-Neo_b-SGTest.rar

Screenshots:

http://img191.imageshack.us/g/shot0000d.png/

Last edited:

medor

Mar 15, 2009
When i take the rings with or jump on fire

Code:
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: Channel [File:C:\UTDev\Engine\Src\UnLevTic.cpp] [Line: 780]
Critical: Windows GetLastError: Opération réussie. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UGalaxyAudioSubsystem::ShutdownAfterError
Log: DirectDraw End Mode
Exit: UD3D9RenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Critical: ULevel::TickDemo
Critical: UpdatePostDemoRec
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=0)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 01/22/10 20:26:14

i have testing with d3d9r12 and opengl35

Neo_b

Jul 2, 2008
Thanks for the info! Does it crash only if there is an actor being teleported by the rings, or anytime you activate the rings? Does it crash when the rings start moving, or in the teleport moment?

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Great idea...wish I'd do a nice Star TREK arena myself...you have teleporters, so may as well have that transporter room, sick bay, armory, etc... on a starship, then beam down to a planet where you take on other combatants. Of course, Stargate's pretty good, too...keep it up.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Did you see the Stargate's by daewon? He didn't do real dialing device yet, but the effect he made seems nice enough. You could combine your skills even.

Neo_b

Jul 2, 2008
I have, I was just checking if anyone else has made a Stargate for UT before yesterday. :) It looks nice.

Daewon

Oct 29, 2009
Czech Republic
Excellent work with these controlled monitors, it looks like a controlled monitor from Doom 3 :) make it more pc's and control panels, with this system. it's looks like nice for SinglePlayer. do you plan to release source code for a controlled monitors?

Neo_b

Jul 2, 2008
Thanks. :) I am planning on releasing the entire source code once I finish the map. Also, I've still got several things to change in the source code, to simplify it for mappers.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot - the more components there are for all screens, the bigger lag there is on the server. Gotta do something about it...

Last edited:

thor_original

Jun 19, 2010
Earth
Neo, dude, I think this was the problem?:
Critical: Assertion failed: Channel [File:C:\UTDev\Engine\Src\UnLevTic.cpp] [Line: 780]

I am unfamiliar with UT scripting but maybe it would be a nice idea to use *relative* paths?

Neo_b

Jul 2, 2008
It's related to UnrealEngine C++ code, in making of which I didn't take part. And I think the path is the path that the UT sourcecode was stored in during its compliation. Thanks for your effort though. ;-)

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
If you are still working this out, drop me a line, I might be able to help you. I've been working on trying to fix the portalgun errors and I've learned a lot about teleporting and pathing as it pertains to actors and relevancy. As you have seen, it's incredibly easy to crash player or server with this.

Your answer mostly likely is going to be bypassing them entirely as far as the server is concerned. You can always spawn an effect to cover the player disappearing so the mirage is maintained.

Diehard

Keep in mind though, that this is a test version. I have not added any pickups to the map yet. Any bug reporting is most welcome. All ideas are also welcome. Please tell me if there are any files missing, I am unsure if the GOTY version of UT has any textures that the normal UT does not.

As far as i know they have the same textures, except Epic messed stuff up again. UT and UT GOTY(that includes Anthology, Steam, GOG and Valve) have different versions credits.utx files(and thereby online version mismatches).

I wanted to check out the map, but the link is broken or disfunct. And i am curious what other mappers come up with. I am working on the Stargate Command center map (SGC) for over 4 years now, but its always cool to see how others aproach the theme :)

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Neo shared this with me and we played a while on my server. No one had any issues and the map performed exactly as it should have. Neo has scripted some unique ways of dealing with things and I hope he releases his source codes too. It's surely worth a look, especially if you are an SG fan.

Neo_b

Jul 2, 2008
All right, I release the source-code. Added a comment for every actor.

http://neo-b.edf-to-clan.de/NeoEnviMapActorsV1(byNeo_b)(23-06-2010).rar

Have fun. :p

Edit: Sorry, I accidently placed a "`" character in the end of the 27th line of the nWaterSplash.uc file while commenting it. To fix the error remove that character, or simply remove that file, since it's not used anywhere in the map and is not related to by any other class.

Last edited: