UT3 Patch 1.3 Is Out!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
That's very disappointing to hear. Didn't they tell us that they found that half the previous UT playerbase was offline only? It's so tragic that they looked at that statistic, and then decided that the "campaign" was what those offline folks wanted. Ha, or maybe they decided they didn't want people playing offline anymore.

Yes they did, and in the pre-release hype for UT3, they where very keen to tell us things like "this will be the best UT yet for offline players", so i was quite supriced when i got the game..

And i don't get it really, ok, the game was rushed and released before it was propperly done, i can see why they would scramble to atleast get it working well online (both pre release and in post release patching), that makes sense, but i do not understand why they seem so apathetic about the other half of their customers, now that it's working quite ok Online, you'd think they would turn their attention to the offline portion and start bring that up to speed aswell, but no, and if WarTourists comments turn out to be true, this is all we get (and i have no doubt, if you think about how many people have complained about the UI starting with the Demo to now, and they wont change that, then what hope do we have? there's not alot of us offliners active and vocal in the UT community afterall).

But you know, i actually do fear they belive us offliners spend all this time playing thouse Tournament ladders, and that IA was just for newbies practicing before going Online.. man i hope not, nothing could be further from the truth, but it would explain a lot if thats what they think.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
rAt.8^].bAg;2170813 said:
You contradict yourself. If the patch were complete, there would be no need for a 1.4.
Then you should know that we live in the world of incomplete patches. First UT had approx. 6 or 7 of them. UT2003 had about 4, UT2004 had approx. 6. Call of Duty 4 had 7 patches up to date, Team Fortress 2 is the most incomplete game ever with most incomplete updates - 53 of them and still coming!

No software will be perfect. However if the developer gives up the product, you get no patches. If the developer supports the game - you do get patches. This is clearly the second case, and that's where you and Anuban contradict yourself.

BoneofFear

The American Dying Machine
Jul 14, 2004
IN DA CHOPPA!
www.myspace.com
From what I remember of what some people said from testing beta 3 or 4 (forget which) the UI doesn't save settings.tbh I donno why this was taken out in the first place.Maybe to try to "force" UT3 players to play online instead of Instant Action.But since this is the final version of 1.3 I'm not sure try it out and see.

MeanyMortal

They call me Berjj
Oct 2, 2004
Sweden
If epic wanted to address all issues in a single patch, people would still be playing UT3 completely UNPATCHED and we'd probably have to wait another year or so before the first patch was released. Epic is simply breaking down this large patch into smaller, more frequently released patches. Just because a patch doesn't fix every aspect of a game doesn't mean it's broken.

People on these boards always whine about riddiculous things, it's been going on for as long as I've know of UT. Some people's logic just make me want to tear off my hair and scream 'till my lungs implode.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
The one thing that seals the BS for me: The changelog states that the bonuspack maps have updated screenshots and player counts. There are no updated screenshots or player counts.

This is complete crap. Technically Epic has lied to me. They say the patch will fix the screens and then when i apply the patch it doesn't happen.

WTF

Of course it might be an error on my side..... Anyone else still missing the DLC screenies? Or is it just me and Anuban?

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I'm not usually a big fan of motion blur, but this one is a nice, minor effect that looks really cool when you get headshotted or gibbed.

One minus though... My CTF-Searchlight searchlights still don't work. though the black boxes ARE gone.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Yes they did, and in the pre-release hype for UT3, they where very keen to tell us things like "this will be the best UT yet for offline players", so i was quite supriced when i got the game..

But you know, i actually do fear they belive us offliners spend all this time playing thouse Tournament ladders, and that IA was just for newbies practicing before going Online.. man i hope not, nothing could be further from the truth, but it would explain a lot if thats what they think.

For kicks, I looked up some quotes from that hype period:

The single-player story we’re doing in UTIII is very different. It really has a beginning, a middle and an end. It’s four acts right now. It’s still being written and it still in development. It allows us to really take all the people who never went online with UT, which is a staggering number of people–like 50 percent of UT buyers never went online–and give them something that really merits their offline experience, not just slugging through this ladder. -Jeff Morris

Ouch. After reading stuff like that, I felt a bit misled when I played the "single-player story," but what does that matter when instant action is what I've been playing for 7+ years? With a focus on the offline experience, surely there will be all sorts of new options, ala mapmixer, right? What a kick to the balls to find that not only has nothing been added, but we've been given far less functionality than in previous iterations.

Maybe to try to "force" UT3 players to play online instead of Instant Action.

It almost seems that way, doesn't it? In actuality, it's just kept me from playing offline or online.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
When exactly does your character not show up? Mine shows up 95% of the time for offline play.........I know it didn't show up at some point but I can't really remember when it didn't. Also, I agree about the generic pics not being there for all official maps.......pretty ridiculous. And the game settings not saving, especially the settings I want for each gametype, is pure BS. I'm sure there are other improvements that are good, so I'll play a few more maps and experience them.
For me in offline mode the demo guy happens pretty regularly (if not to say always) when I switch teams.

Generic pics for maps is a little meh, as it means you really need to remember a maps name :p (i suck with remembering names)

The settings not saving for gametypes has also bugged me a fair bit too...
rAt.8^].bAg;2170813 said:
I didn't say there was "nothing good" in 1.3.
You contradict yourself. If the patch were complete, there would be no need for a 1.4.
That doesn't make sense is so far as no one will ever make a patch that is perfect and covers everything. There is always something to improve on.
A "complete patch" as you put it, is an impossibility.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
No game is perfect, all games have bugs, all games need patches, no games can be really completed until the community see it this way.

The patch is fine, good work from Epic.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I actually enjoy a lot more UT3 with the simple add - Motion Blur.
It do gives me a better feel of speed.

+2