how about some feedback for kathofis's new map, Skytown :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

icemanex

Sep 20, 2004
it looks great so far, i like the secret tunnel behind the barrel
i think another secret passage up to the top of the pillar in the cnetre would be cool, it would be an excellent sniping point
anyone else wanna share some ideas?
No sarcasm from deadalus plz ;)

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
Ehm... no
I'm not going to change anything about the floorplan.
In case you didn't know; Skytown is originally from Unreal. And seeing how Unreal is still the most appreciated game in the Unreal universe, I intend to keep it as close to the original as possible, while updating the looks. Result should be that it has the looks of a 2k4 map, but the atmosphere of the original.

This movie showed a little bit too much alpha work to be thrown in the public though.
But I can't complain. It's getting some coverage, and the comments are remarkably positive, considering what I'm showing.

Anyway, thanks for the topic :)

lowenz

Unreal Veteran
Kaithofis said:
Ehm... no
I'm not going to change anything about the floorplan.
In case you didn't know; Skytown is originally from Unreal. And seeing how Unreal is still the most appreciated game in the Unreal universe, I intend to keep it as close to the original as possible, while updating the looks. Result should be that it has the looks of a 2k4 map, but the atmosphere of the original.

This movie showed a little bit too much alpha work to be thrown in the public though.
But I can't complain. It's getting some coverage, and the comments are remarkably positive, considering what I'm showing.

Anyway, thanks for the topic :)
:2thumb: Great job! Really like it!
But you'll add the monsters too? I hope!

The first step for "Unreal: the Remake" :)

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm afraid the answer is no.

The last time I've worked on it was a couple of days after the flythrough came out. All I could give you is a small changelist of what I had done in those few days:

-Continued terrain work from the start to the square with the missing Nali statue
-Added a few more new meshes to the Skaarj Room
-Textured pretty much the whole map
-Changed a few of the original textures with newer, more detailed ones

And that's about it really.
Right now I'm working on the unnamed Temple-ish thing as seen in the "Why I will stop being productive" thread. (Those are very outdated though.)
It has been described as "Oh sex". So you know what's coming to ya ;)
And then there's this small 2on2 CTF map I've started on a few days ago.

So for now the production on this gem is ehm... non-existant.
Maybe after the CTF map is done I'll pick it up again, but that won't happen until November (at least)

I'll update this thread as soon as I've done something that makes it worth updating.

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
Not a lot.
The map doesn't look like what you've seen in the flythrough at all. But what do you expect, after almost 6 months.

Some basic terrain work.
Replacing SM's from brushes with SM's from Maya.
Messed around with the lighting and roofs.

Map is still pretty b0rked, and I'll have to replace most BSP to get a steady build. But I have some other projects atm, and I spend whatever time I save for mapping on those.

I do hope that this will be released someday, maybe sometime this year, maybe not. But don't expect any news until I post it. ;)

Darky

Jan 22, 2006
Thx for quick reply.

Only small question: How you textured this map with original textures? Manually? Or you converted map with texturing?