cable vs. dsl

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Miracle

is Chrome{SoLo}
Mar 16, 2001
Kentucky...hehe yep
Visit site
I changed my mind about my cable service and am getting bellsouth fastaccess dsl. I wanted to know anyones opinions if they have had both and what kind of performance they get with dsl

Thanks

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
cable is faster but you gotta share it with people so its not always fast

DSL you get your own private IP address and you arent sharing it with anyone, but it is most of the time slower then cable.

watch out though, some companys make you share your DSL connection with others, which totally defeats the purpose of DSL.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
What it all boils down to is the quality of your local providers in either service.

If you ask the question of which is better in an international forum, you're going to get wildly varying answers, even from within a single country, simply because the price, performance and service are that different based on who you go with and where you live.

STALLONE

Mar 29, 2000
vld.clanpages.com
Within the last 6 months ive had both cable and dsl, I found that dsl is always the same (as far as pings go to the servers i frequent) and cable one day i would be pinging great and the next it would be twice as high.

:BowzeR

KingKoopa
Aug 3, 2001
unrealcentral.com
I have DSL, its fine. I don't know about cable, all I know is that its better than 56k. I pay $39.95 a month for 5 static IP's and the DSL service. Not all DSL's IP's stay the same. I just stick with DSL because its always the same... most of the time. A tiny bit of the time its laggy, but most of the time its not.

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
After getting random disconnects lately where I don't have any service for hours on end, I would say that I am close to being fed up with cable. If I could get DSL I would, but for now I am stuck with cable.

Archmage[GDI]

Feb 13, 2001
Pittsburgh PA
Visit site
I'm fed up with cable. After experiencing extremely unstable pings for the last 8 months, I have had it. My cable ISP oversold their bandwidth, and as a result, my connection is very slow. I am getting DSL installed this week. ITs so bad that I've had to forfeit matches due to consistently pinging in the upper 300's. And I pay $50/month for that.

Do yourself a favor and get DSL, at least your service should be consistent.

Astaldo

Apr 21, 2000
Highland Lakes, NJ USA
Visit site
I have DSL from my local phone co (Warwick Online) and it suits me just fine. My pings are always low, usually around 49-60 and while it may be lower with cable, it's playable up to 300 or so. Downloading files isn't as fast as with cable, but comparing the 4.5kb a sec I had from my 56k, to the 35kb a sec with DSL, I no longer fear those 100MB mods!

Miracle

is Chrome{SoLo}
Mar 16, 2001
Kentucky...hehe yep
Visit site
THanks for the help...This is going to be bellsouth's fastaccess dsl...1.5mbs down 256 kbs up er something i think. I hope they don't share...thats the problem im trying to avoid. And how does this work? It has an external usb modem...should I get the usb modem or the internal pci ? Im looking for best speed.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
USB all the way baby.
I had DSL and it worked fantastic. I gamed with great ping and I DL'ed MP3's in minutes.
HAD, notice. My DSL co. went out of business and left me hi and dry. They had my phone line tied up for months so I couldn't switch. Finally, I moved to my fiane's house, and am ordering DSL TODAY (although from EARTHLINK this time, and not some fly by night CO.
Go with someone who's been around.

Phaeta1733

phaeta
Jul 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Visit site
i have optimum online (cable) in the new york area (jersey). it's pretty solid. no random disconnects; constant high dl speeds. this is probably due to the fact that not that many people have it yet, though.:D

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
when you'r with dsl you have a guarantee of low ping and fast downloads, no matter what
with cable it can flucutate, so one is never sure what will happen with ping or downloads.
so if you want a steady fast connection, get dsl
or if you want a good, fast download connection, and are willing to take the risks go for cable

Clayeth

Classic
Apr 10, 2000
Kentucky
Originally posted by Miracle
THanks for the help...This is going to be bellsouth's fastaccess dsl...1.5mbs down 256 kbs up er something i think. I hope they don't share...thats the problem im trying to avoid. And how does this work? It has an external usb modem...should I get the usb modem or the internal pci ? Im looking for best speed.

I just got set up with Bellsouth Fast Access exactly 1 week ago, and am very happy with it. I got the PCI modem, just because I already have too much stuff sitting around/on my computer and desk. I had a little problem with all their software, which I finally decided not to use at all, and then after resolving a IRQ conflict, I'm golden. I ping pretty well, according to F6 I am ususally between 50-100. That doesn't sound too good compared to what you see people getting with F1, but on F1 I show anywhere from 20-70. I also am using the max netspeed and have never had ANY packetloss. Bellsoush doesn't offer a Static IP though. Download speeds are very good, I got that massive Black and White patch (90+mb) in no time at all. I think the reliable connection you get with DSL is well worth the slightly lower (in some cases) max speed.

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
You can't really rely on local reports too much either. I have Comcast@Home in SE PA and my ping is so spikey!! I get nearly triple what I'd get a few hours before (25-75, *neener-neener* :D) and I also get great download speeds. But my friend who lives like 5 miles away has the same service and it's horrible. I'd say take advantage of any free trial periods broadband providers offer and sample your options before settling on a decision (or signing a service contract)

Miracle

is Chrome{SoLo}
Mar 16, 2001
Kentucky...hehe yep
Visit site
Thanks guys...one other thing. Having two options should I have chosen the pci modem over the usb or vice versa? From what technical experience I have (hehe) I would assume usb would be faster?