Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

4. Textures used on the Skaarj ship, NaliCast and Vortex rikers in high res

The textures from Vortex Rikers are all to be found in the PlayrShp package, which is almost complete. At this moment i am still working on the DecayedS package for Unreal and UT, and in about a month from now ill be done with that. On release i will update the Texture Database and will also add all PSD files from the PlayrShp package to the downloads.

For the NaliCast and Skaarj packages, the amount of High Res textures are limited. But what i have could be made available as well.

tech_rsr

Dec 31, 2008
The textures from Vortex Rikers are all to be found in the PlayrShp package, which is almost complete. At this moment i am still working on the DecayedS package for Unreal and UT, and in about a month from now ill be done with that. On release i will update the Texture Database and will also add all PSD files from the PlayrShp package to the downloads.

For the NaliCast and Skaarj packages, the amount of High Res textures are limited. But what i have could be made available as well.

Thanks. I read through some of the UT3 tutorials. It would be nice if we start a repository of interesting materials. I can imagine how it can improve the game experience. I had the following ideas for materials:

1. Granite (as its found in some maps)
2. Stone floors
3. Tarydium crystal
4. Green slime (Terraniux, etc - emissive material)
5. Lava (which has pretty good textures, but need to create an emissive material)
6. Rock
7. Concrete
8. Skaarj metallic structures
9. For Tree leaves, palms etc
10. Wooden Nali textures
11. Moss and similar organic growth
12. Forcefields
13. Nali glows, etc.

Unreal Textures is a great site. Is there some UT3 developer/modder site that hosts materials?

Thanks

Diehard

Unreal Textures is a great site. Is there some UT3 developer/modder site that hosts materials?

For Unreal and UT(which can be used for UT2004/UT3 as well) theres a whole bunch of PreFabs for download but the site doesnt have Materials yet, as a matter a fact i never thought of it lol. Certainly something that needs to be on the site as well !! And if people submit them, i am happy to add them, like already with prefabs.

But no clue if theres a site already offering it.

Last edited:

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
I'll be damned... I had no idea a remake of Unreal with the UT3 engine was being developed (by fans) !
Just dropping by to wish you folks all the best.

If this thing gets serious, you guys should spread the word even more. I'm talking about magazine news articles and stuff like that.

Any word on when/if this enormous project will be finished?
cheers!

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Thay need a fulll team then thay can manage to make a full remake. Er... this makes me wish I had a good tool for normal maps i'm starting to wonder if its a good idea for me to buy crazybump.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Well I had a long ago idea of "Unreal Reincarnation", a remake of Unreal..
anyway I have yet to learn UED on ut3 still to be able to work on anything, I started to learn it but didnt went too far, plus its slow on my laptop.
Anyway you guys maybe would want to include some beta stuff or some stuff that didn't make it to final game too (but with no forceful way)....

Anyway also...good luck on this and please make it some justice and do it better than some crappy conversions which were avaiable on ut2004 which rather ruined game's atmosphere.

Also do you plan to remake Unreal dm maps plus the expansion/fusionmappack/unrealspecial demo dm maps (exclusive for oem demo but avaiable to download as 3dfx mappack)/gw press addon maps as I said in this talk down there http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Talk:Unreal too?

I might eventually help with it in future, but I can't promise anything for now.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I just dropped in to make a suggestion and it was Fireflys wiki post which sparked it. Its actually something Ive been mulling over recently, this is a similar topic bear with me, is a community collaboration site for unreal franchise remakes.

It really came to me a month or so ago when I was thinking about the amount of people Ive networked with who are working in some form or another on an unreal franchise remake/extension (what have you). Having worked on uc2004, I know how much interest there is in remaking UC2 stuff, from UT2k4 (and this thread ofcoarse ;)) we can see the interest in bringing UT and Unreal back in HD beauty.

See with a closed off mod team/project, much like remakes of unreal franchise games Ive seen and been involved with people might be less willing to contribute because they get locked into a team so to speak (not to mention people who can contribute to design etc). Now sure a person could contribute a model but what happens if something only gets half completed?

Well unless you get all the stuff up on and FTP team members can just bug out, taking their hard work with them (which is ofcoarse their prerogative) but it leaves teams at a loss. They have to start again from square one, which is understandable but I feel if there was more of a community collaboration on these projects it would take less time to bring them to light and less work would be lost inbetween.

Some people just prefer to work more solo and as we have seen UT3 already has a pretty solid collection of remake materials which could be cataloged even rated (by the community). With permissions from the authors (which could be easier to do through networking through such a site) these could be included in broader projects, such as a UT map remake finding its way into a UT remake for eg rather then remaking it completely (again).

Now as with Firefly's wiki link there, there could be areas for people to discuss design documents or even post fan written stories for people to comment on or make suggestions. This might not be directly related to this project but I do feel there is room for people to come up with original ideas that fit within the realm of unreal/ut/uc.

My initial thoughts were to hook a heap of people I know together and perhaps guide them in a direction then leave them to it but Im not so sure thats a good idea. With a community site, which could even be part of buf (so you can link liandri and uscript wikis) it just makes the whole thing easier in my eyes.

I mean we are all here because we love unreal, some of us want to create remakes, others want to head in unique directions. I see no reason why we cant all work together to help each other since we are walking similar paths.

Id be happy to contribute to this Unreal Evolution project, perhaps modelling acouple of the beasties (like the bat and titan, thats what I had in mind). Unfortunately my code time is all booked out for about 4yrs :lol: so I cant contribute there.

I do know though if someone creates a skaarj set for unreal it could be reused for alot of other projects, Id really like to see people giving up their time to work on such things that can benefit a large portion of the community :cool:

Last edited:

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
I'll check on my money then see if crazybumps a good idea then I can work on normal maps and light maps for the textures. Most bits are easy enough to work on exept the normal maps. I actuly like working with that program its just so damned pricy.

tech_rsr

Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to inject a word of realism here. I saw Hourences' and other tutorials for Unreal ED 4.0 and I tried it myself, quite a bit. So much is different in the new Unreal ED that I don't think I want to do any mapping at all. I can help come up with concepts, sketches, ideas and so on. The new editor is too difficult to do anything in, so anything good would probably take years of time and infinite hours of fighting with the editor. My sympathies to the Epic team and modders who spent hours just to learn the new editor. I think they should have stuck to the UT2004/UT style organization of files for the editor. Although they say progress depends on change, change can also alienate a modder community and I think Epic has done that successfully with Unreal Engine 3.

minifloppy

Jan 14, 2009
Hi all, I'm a long time anonymous user of Beyondunreal, but this thread made me wanna register.

Unreal Evolution is a really cool idea, I've been waiting for something like this since the release of UT3. It is a LOT of work, though.

I think that before starting collecting materials and models around the internet a lot of planning needs to be done by the mod team. It is useless to spend days searching for a tree texture that won't be used because it simply does not fit well with the "Unreal theme and feeling".

Planning takes a lot of time and it's a stage when usually a lot people lose interest in a project. Good coordination is needed to ensure that all team members are active in the discussion and that they will accept all team decisions. Otherwise this stage will be the end of the project.

If the required time and attention isn't reserved to the planning stage, people will start making spare content and assets which won't just fit well with each other. Dividing the work into small pieces is a good idea, as it will help maintain team moral high while ensuring that the final work will be solid and polished.

UE3 permits the use of very high detail content. This means that a lot of details needs to be added to the architecture of Unreal 1 and adding detail (while also maintaining the original feel) is a lot more difficult than removing it.
A (fairly stupid) example: after entering a nali house the player will want to look to a (semi)realistic truss and won't like a flat ceiling at all. As Unreal 1 is settled in some kind of subtropical-tropical area where no snow will ever fall, nali houses have a smooth roof: the truss needs to be designed basing on this information. Deciding things like this may seem stupid but will help give cohesion to the whole work.

Things are also much more complicated as Nali's architecture does not really exists. Copying real temples and houses is a lot easier than creating new ones. Nali's architecture is loosely based on maya/aztect/inca ones, but it's not the same. Copying too many elements will destroy the Unreal feel. Same goes for vegetation, rocks, etc.

My 2 cents.

As a side note: I want it!! :D :)

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to inject a word of realism here. I saw Hourences' and other tutorials for Unreal ED 4.0 and I tried it myself, quite a bit. So much is different in the new Unreal ED that I don't think I want to do any mapping at all. I can help come up with concepts, sketches, ideas and so on. The new editor is too difficult to do anything in, so anything good would probably take years of time and infinite hours of fighting with the editor. My sympathies to the Epic team and modders who spent hours just to learn the new editor. I think they should have stuck to the UT2004/UT style organization of files for the editor. Although they say progress depends on change, change can also alienate a modder community and I think Epic has done that successfully with Unreal Engine 3.

I believe the unreal engine 3 system is much better in many aspects (even file system), although confusing to learn at first.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
[SAS]Solid Snake;2239570 said:
Modders yes, but Epic? Why? They were the ones who made it... I rarely have to learn how to use the tools that I make.
Well there is a big difference between learning and discovering here...
Game Devs are learning [they usually have Docs or can ask how it works to programmers] and modders can both learn from online Doc or friends and discover how it works...

At least... it's definitely how I see it. ^^

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
as no-ones added anything to the wiki or made any posts of further progress i wonder if this has been given up?

I have asked Brizz in this thread and even PM:d him but no answer.

Its a bummer because having two teams working on the same thing would not be very effective :/

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I keep thinking about this to be honest, but I have so much crap going on right now that I have no idea when I'll be able to work on the actual programming side of things. I'd be happy to be involved in the project management side of things, though.

I have a private forum set up on BuF to deal with all of the ins and outs of the project. For the most part, the first priority is to get a working, functioning version of NyLeve's Falls going. This will give us a better idea of the scope and work involved with moving along on the project.

Anyone that is interested (and will actually do things) please PM me. We already have about a dozen mappers signed up but no one has actually started working on the Falls yet.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah see and this is why I find un-effective about these types of more private systems. If its open you can let the management software do its job and use your time for real issues that need to be resolved like getting a mapper making the map.

I was talking with DarkED alittle yesterday, basically I came to the conclusion a site in which one can hook through to svn, document (wiki/blog) and comment/discuss assets. Even limiting discussion to assets (not topics) that way you can ensure the people talking are the ones doing work in some respect.

Basically for me, a project like this or any other remake shouldnt have a "team" and just takes away from the "community" feel behind the project because you are making it exclusive. Now obviously you cant have just anyone join an asset management site like this with full credentials so you have invite participation levels which help to boost peoples involvement in the project. People who simply dont have the time and/or cant work on an asset anymore can leave it up there and anyone can come in and take over so there is some level of giving up your work for the greater good of the community in this.

Personally I just feel this is more beneficial to the community at large and will help to draw people in :cool:

Last edited: