Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PeterVenkman

May 12, 2008
Southern California
God this is such a good idea. I will be forever indebted to anyone who makes this happen.

It sounds a lot like a suggestion on the Unreal 3 thread about doing something similar to BlackMesaSource for Half Life.

I'm not a mapper, I'm not a modder, and I don't have any technical computer skills, but I love everything Unreal and I would be very happy to contribute in any way possible. Maybe a tester? Maybe a project cheerleader? Liaison to help you find more people to work on the project?

I believe in you and I will do anything I can to help you make this idea a reality!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Problem with remaking Deus Ex is that there is no possible way you could even live up to the original, even if it was nearly identical.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Good stuff Sir_Brizz.

I have two feelings/thoughts about this once I read the plan:

First Thought
I LOVE Unreal, from 1998 till 2008 it remains my most played game and of course Unreal to go next-gen is one of my biggest dreams.
I dislike most games today and this whole console game industry bores me, so Unreal (cooperative) is about the only game I play right now (exceptions are Alien Versus Predator 2 and Ghost Recon/Raven Shield from time to time).

Actually, I do play Unreal in co-op but not as an unreal player, because I am a realism fan and am mainly into tac-sim's, I play Infiltration (UT tac-sim mod, real weapons, real soldiers) using the Unreal levels in a cooperative game mode with a bunch of like minded folks. This screenshot shows nicely what this Infiltration/Unreal game is about.

There is a company called Blackfoot Studios, they are currently developing a tactical simulation called "Ground Branch", which sounds to be the most realistic tac-sim to date. They just confirmed to use the Unreal Engine 3, so my first though was: Ground Branch + Unreal Evolution = the realistic Unreal co-op experience like we have it with Infiltration/Unreal right now, but next-gen and muuuuch better then ever = VERY GOOD!!

Second Thought
The second thought was that it is a MAMMOTH project and such fail to often, so I remain sceptical like probably most here.

How to realize?
In my opinion the best and most efficient way to go is to release the mod in fragments, in Chapters.

Why that? Because you can focus on a first release to be relatively soon with little overall work, because the first chapter can have:
- only few maps with the same design and architecture (like a temple for example), easier and faster to develope.
- just like unreal the first levels to have only few creatures to begin with (20% of creatures in the first chapter Vs. 100% of creatures in the whole game), better start with 20%.

That is the only realistic way to see things, going for a full or almost full realease is unrealistic, going for the first chapter with the initiation of the story and introduction of only few creatures sounds more grounded and can actually really work.

Advantage of such an aproach is, that if people see how actually good this stuff is and that it actually works, you might get more people beeing interessted to help out (those talented modders who refuse to help solely because they believe the project will fail anyway).

Why Unreal for me?
I'm into tac-sim's, so why I love Unreal? Because I see Unreal not as a fast paced sci-fi shooter, but as an adventure game, where you visit fantastic locations, explore worlds and secrets. The locations in Unreal are so great, that I sometimes just stand and watch the sky and hear the wind and ambient sounds.
Playing Unreal slowpaced with realistic weapons through the Infiltration mod was the most immersive and fantastic Unreal experience I ever had.

I personally would prefer a next-gen Unreal game to be more slowpaced and realistic even if it still has sci-fi weapons and characters, but I see that most want it Unreal like (fast paced, mmmmonster weapons), but since there is this tac-sim in developement unsing the UE3, I will get my fun with Unreal Evolution the way I want it anyway.

My only skills are photoshop stuff and I think I'm not even good at it, but I like to develope concepts for creatures and weapons. I'm not volunteering or so, first I need to be sure the idea is not just a naive wish, but a solid project. I personally can only help out (in whatever form) when I can believe in the project, but you defenitely set me on fire with this Sir_Brizz. ;)

I can only say plan the thing out solid like a war plan and start very small'n'solid instead of big'n'never.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Well, if you could just add the feature "take objects" without even seeing the hands of the player taking properly each objects it would be a freaking plus on that one in term of Level Design and strategies. Mostly for the Singleplayer part, but it,s only a suggestion that I think would makes a lot of sense as being optionnal (multipath levels).

searching interesting experiences and originality, I think that it can do better than just a remake and bring a lot of great suprises for the fans.

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
About that nalicow, I don't think he really needs the encouragement (though I'm sure it will be appreciated). In fact, I think it may find it's way to UT3 somehow ;)

Well i wasnt thinking about encouragement, more like asking him/them if he/they would like to participate in this project with his/their model. :)
Heres a link to both
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=591390&highlight=warcow

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=578005&highlight=warcow

Edit: Found out that theres actually two guys making a nalicow

Last edited:

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
This will be interesting. See how the original operates with a vastly superior engine. Will you remix it a little bit and add things that didn't exist before to throw vets off guard and spice it up a bit. Or is it going to be just an upgrade in graphics?

Now to sit back and laugh to myself while thinking about that one guys "fail" post on the first page.

Last edited:
All I need is a modeler and scripter, and mainly that's just for the characters. New high res Nali and monsters. Everything else pretty much is in UT3, so that's not an issue for me.

I have some drawings of the Unreal 3 monsters (I/We) were going to do, but since noone wanted to model them, (I/We) didn't really go foreward with anything like this before.

gaminginvasion

Oct 2, 2008
I personally think it's a great idea. The original is, in my opinion, one of the most immersive, atmospheric games ever. I think porting it over to the new engine will only add to these qualities.

To all the naysayers out there, what is there to lose? It has been ten years since we've seen a single player Unreal game. And by my calculations, it may be another five or ten until a new one is released. I think if anything this mod would breathe some much deserved life back into the series. And it's not like the idea of recreating a past release under a new engine is a totally absurd idea (Carmack wanted to do this with Quake 2 using the D3 engine but decided to focus on id Tech 5 instead). The bottom line is user generatec content like this is in high demand. And I think the right people with the right skills could pull it off.

In conclusion, I'm for it. :tup::tup: