Most played Unreal Tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I'd say it is the bolded title below.

Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2003
Unreal Tournament 2004
Unreal Tournament 3

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
It's been around for the longest time. So naturally it has been played the most, right?

It is.

Regarding the amount of players going online I always thought UT2k4 won on that, unless it's all caused by the bots being counted as humans - something that still confuses the hell out of me.

Firetaffer

May 29, 2009
It's been around for the longest time. So naturally it has been played the most, right?

Well, the most played at the moment.

Anyway, I would have thought UT3 would be the most played, since it is the newest and everything :rolleyes:.

It seems like most people map for UT3 though, why don't the majority map for the original UT if it is played the most?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Of course the first one - original UT
Second would be UT3, then it's a lot of space before UT2kx comes in, actually I haven't touched UT2x already over 2 and half years.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
It seems like most people map for UT3 though, why don't the majority map for the original UT if it is played the most?

That's because UE3 is just prettier than UE1. Sure, UT99 maps can look great and play great too, but UE3 is just newer, has all the nice stuff like intensive use of high poly meshes, stuff like that.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I think it's lack of interest on the game after 10 years; after the last CBP I haven't seen anything new.
As long as custom UT3 DM maps that don't suck get released, I'm happy.

Firetaffer

May 29, 2009
Thanks for the replys, I just have one more question.

Does anyone play any of the Unreal Tournaments competitively? I wikipediad (-_-") UT99 and found that it was in the World Cyber Games or something like that. Is there anywhere currently which hosts Unreal Tournament, does not matter what one, competitions?

Rosco[CoF]

Oct 10, 2009
Traverse City, MI
1-Unreal Tournament
2-Unreal Tournament 3
3-Unreal Tournament 2004
4-Unreal Tournament 2003

UT3 needs more "fun" maps though, Beer Wars, the small maps, Redneck maps. Time to goof it up a bit, take the hard edge off.

Last edited:

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
UT
UT2K4
UT2K3
UT3

Some of my fondest memories in gaming were made while playing the first UT. I haven't played it in years but I've spent more time playing UT99 than any other.
I really tried to like UT3. I really did but a lass some things were not meant to be.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
1 UT2k4
2 UT2k3
3 UT99
4 UT3

My opinion is identical to that.

We all know the first UT was probably the most played of all, but that's back in the 56K days. It's also the first to the franchise and quite honestly, did deliver for ages. The netcode is simply put, horrible.

UT2004 was the most online-satisfying game I have played in my life. The game also had a quite long lifescale. With it's own inconvenient, it eventually became "Exploited" in therm of knowledge. This also occurs to every games on the market, of course. Some games tend to live longer than others.

UT2004 being the "Hitscan" dommnance, and how the game eventually turned into "TAM" fest. For some reasons I really ignore. Most of the people found the vanilla gameplay boring. Probably because they couldn't handle item management, such as timing and picking up weapons constantly after dying.

Timing was the most annoying thing I have seen in the last pubs I played. I'm kind of competitive, but I have my pace, and I certainly do not wish to time power-ups like my life depended on it "Play to win, PLAY TO WIN!!!" - It's a public server, I only wish to frag and have fun.

I find decent players who time power-ups on remaining pubs complete idiots. But that's just me. 1v1's seem to be more fit for that.

UT3 was simply, completely wrong in many levels. The actual level desing, and weapon design made the game completely unfun for most of us. Take Shangrila. It has open/narrow spaces (rocket area anyone?), and ETC. The kind of layout I'd see in Call of Duty, and the actual weapon balance punished snipers in actual DM/TDM play, rockets were completely easy-to-use and lethal. Even though the game had custom content, people weren't bothered with the gameplay. I also recall a few issues here and there with the map redirect system.

It was actually hard to see their direction when you look at the DM/TDM play. Warfare (Onslaught 1.5) was probably the best design this game had. But then I still see a lot of imbalances.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I take my UT3 -> UT* -> UC2.
*Not considering the U1 content, otherwise it's a cheat.

Can't even get close to liking UT2k4. The only reason I had it on my HD for more months was just the amount of good mods out there for it.
But the game itself had content that never delivered for me, ranging from the art style to the annoying gameplay itself. It wasn't fun at all, either in MP and in SP.
UT2k3 had at least a better menu, faster weapon-switch time, nicer selection of maps and no Onslaught/Warfare, so I actually preferred it.

I take UT3 as a cure for the boredom I have with UT1. I generally prefer it now, thanks to some custom maps.

A bust that UC2 was console-only. It should have been the real UT2k3/4.

Last edited:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site

It's not merely that, but if you look at player counts at a given amount of time after each game's release, UT99 is the clear winner. So if you compare the player counts for UT99 one year or two years after its release to, say, UT3's player counts one or two years after its release, UT99 drowns out UT3's numbers. There are reasons for all of this.