GameTrailers Video Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
BeerGut said:
They will never stop talking about Unreal Engine 3 tech, it's their meal ticket, it's always come first.
The problem is:

"Q. What can you tell us about Conquest mode in UT2007?"

"A. UT2007 is built on Unreal Engine 3 which is the latest and greatest in graphics technology <insert random PR crap about UE3 here>."

Great... that didn't answer the question, though.

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
Hooray for the return of rocket launcher grenades! \o/

Damn them for making decisions that don't fit my personal view of what UT2007 should be. Damn them for releasing information then contradicting it later. Damn them for not releasing enough new information. Damn them for not having the same unquestionable mastery of what Unreal Tournament should be that I clearly enjoy. :nag:

You kids amuse me. :B

Last edited:

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
The problem is:

"Q. What can you tell us about Conquest mode in UT2007?"

"A. UT2007 is built on Unreal Engine 3 which is the latest and greatest in graphics technology <insert random PR crap about UE3 here>."

Great... that didn't answer the question, though.

People should stop asking then. ;) Only leads to let downs in the so called "new interviews". They'll show the goods when they're ready, they're obviously avoiding questions for a reason.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The problem is that they focus attention on the engine ALL THE TIME instead of the game. They do it with Gears too. If you aren't going to talk about the game, then shut up.

Gnome

The Gnome that knows
Feb 23, 2003
Indianapolis
wormhole.tauniverse.com
It's not just Epic, GPG's been doing the same thing with Supreme Commander (I know, I report on this stuff on a shamelessly pimped website myself). Every interview has the same answers... three teams with unique unit designs, the ability to scroll out from the "tactical" view to a satellite-style view seamlessly, and so on. The real meaty questions always get side-tracked generic answers or simply "we can't answer that at this time," which is very frustrating. At least we always get a couple new screenshots almost every time, although sometimes it's just the same **** different angle approach.

Anyway, the point is, like someone said above, that both companies don't want to spill the beans too much before E3. It is very frustrating that they recycle the same information constantly, but you do have to consider that the people like us who follow games closely are the only ones who are ever really going to notice. Most people just don't care until the demo release or a month or two prior to release, even with all of the E3 hype. They'll only care when they have something they can actually play and not look at or read about, and that's when the real information will be unleashed.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I just hope that I don't lose the quick shot ability and I can fire single rockets without the stupid delay like they did in UT (without disabling loading up rockets). That would be lame.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
UT2003's RL -> The right idea.

JohnDoe641 said:
I just hope that I don't lose the quick shot ability and I can fire single rockets without the stupid delay like they did in UT (without disabling loading up rockets). That would be lame.

Agreed. I want to be able to single-fire rockets.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
The UT99 rocket launcher essentially fired as soon as you took your finger off of the fire button, except it played an animation first, which was the delay.
Looking from the ingame footage it seems the gun reloads after you have shot the missile, rather than loading before firing like on UT99

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Hell agree that shock combo looks too big and it blocks your view, but I like rockets explosion effect.
I want to see already some other weapons than same RL, flak and shock.:con:

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
BeerGut said:
They will never stop talking about Unreal Engine 3 tech, it's their meal ticket, it's always come first.

Very true here, they have already made millions of dollars, (I don't know how many liscences, but I'd guess about $500,000 to $1,000,000 per liscence) and with the way they are getting contracts for this, they want to make all the money they can off of it. UT2007 minght make them a few million, but nothing near the amout that the engine brings in.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I like the combo. It's a big freaking explosion. Why SHOULDN'T it block your view???

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
The problem isn't just Epic (or any other gamepublisher/company) ... it's the interviewers and magazines/websites themselves that think that even 'old' news is still worthy of screentime.

I mean ... we all know that water is wet, but there's no need to print a big 3 page interview that reveals that yes ... water is still wet. There must be thousands of developers that haven't had a chance to say anything about their projects. And why aren't they given a chance ?

Apparently it's more interesting to hear that water still is wet if it is a 'big name' publisher/developer instead of hearing about new flavours of drinks from a newbie ...

Then again ... since gamers love sequels despite the fact that they say they loath them it is to be expected that they love hearing how water is wet over and over again.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
=Vector= said:
Sel, i think they're waiting for E3 06 to show off UT2K7 in full force, that's probably why they've been so secretive....i just hope they are gonna showcase it on a PC and not the damn PS3 (which they haven't been doing much lately, they've been making it sound like the game was made for the PS3 or something :mad: )

sadly, this thing about 'made for the ps3' is what i caught myself thinking as well recently...
i really hope this isn't the case, though and look forward to e3 2006.
maybe we'll even learn one thing or another about specs?! ;)

zeh

Jun 21, 2005
São Paulo, Brazil
www.zeh.com.br
The problem seem to be just that the company don't want to release new information, but they keep getting bugged for questions and interviews, so everything that's out tend to be repeats and 99% is already known. When a company decide to release new info they do so to tons of sites at the same time, and it's something carefully planned by them and their publishers. I don't think any dev would just say "hey you know, there's <this piece of new information> I just figured I'd let you know about". I've seen it happen, but it's too rare - like a couple times on the past few years. So what happens is quite the contrary, all reviews are always rehashes of the same thing over and over again. This seem to happen to all AAA+ companies/games.

Of course interviewers that ask the same dumb questions are also to blame, but even if they ask incisive questions we all want to know, devs usually just avoid answering it properly or don't reply at all. See the recent Epic Q&As...