Which Unreal Game is Best According to You?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Choose between the following

• Total voters

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I can't stand the dumbed down paladin. The stupid secondary on the bender. The fact that I can't see crap on the cic and raptor. The SPMA is boring slow. That the tank doesn't have much chance against an half-decent manta pilot on way too many situations and maps.
Otoh the Necris... Wow!

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Wow, nix the vehikals debate...

UnrealTournament, and mostly because it ran stellar on about four or five hundred dollars worth of hardware. I think balance and gameplay improved in each iteration, barring scale change of 2kx, though they still achieved needed improvement to weapon balance.

UT3 is great if you have fifteen hundred plus dollars to spend. At this point in time though, money is a factor. Not to mention where, even if gameplay is stellar, spending that kind of money to play a game that lacks some needed polish seems silly.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
But Unreal isn't perfection.
Conceptually it is perfection. Most immersive adventure experience. Tomb Raider is nice, but Unreal is a blast.

And fifteen hundred plus dollars to spend on Live.

Perhaps, but the final (Gold) release of Unreal is as close to perfection as you will find in any game, anywhere.
What's better about Gold?
I think patch 227 is as near to perfection as technically possible with that old engine.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The oldunreal patch is far from perfection yet (well depends on point of view, but basically it is) and it won't get THAT better in the future. (if it was absolutelly perfect then it would be as good as some of these super sourceports for older games etc, but the problem is that the full sources got only one person and that is smirftsch and Unreal isn't open sourced)
I feel most of things in this patch are rather unnecessary while the focus should be on something else. And there aren't enough skilled people or the lack of time/concentration/other things to even bring back the realtime stencil shadows (that appeared in the test 220 patch) or make them from scratch (it would require a lot of work to say it simply).
The examples of them are here:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1177013308/8#8

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Unreal Tournament is sure stacking up those votes. I think I have to install that game on this new computer as well.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Of the three I've played with any regularity.

UT2k4
Unreal
UT3

In order of the number hours entertainment they brought.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Still no votes for Unreal Championship. I guess anyone with an Xbox liked UC2 better, and perhaps it genuinely is. Surprisingly someone voted for UT2k3 as well.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Still no votes for Unreal Championship. I guess anyone with an Xbox liked UC2 better, and perhaps it genuinely is. Surprisingly someone voted for UT2k3 as well.
That's mostly because UC1 is a poor man's UT2003.

Or is it the other way around? Most likely is, since UT2003 is technically a port of UC1.

Either way, for all intents and purposes, UT2003 + Species Statistics Mutator = UC1. There'll be some slight differences (HUD, weapon models, etc) but it's more or less the same game at that point.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell

That's mostly because UC1 is a poor man's UT2003.

See the correlation?

If they plan on maintaining that direction, they better get some better control interfacing for that ****. I really don't wanna aim with stupid thumb sticks.

They could put a mini trackball in those controllers....

Oh, and DP, your avatar is tl;dr, so I didn't even get to that last post.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Can X360 players use custom made content? I haven't seen any downloads for that console. I have heard that they can't. That would really turn UT3 for X360 into a lesser game than UT3 for any other platform.

Too bad, I was really interested in getting myself a console and I was leaning towards X360, now I got nothing. Some backward compatibility towards UC2 was also a nice feature since I own the game, but have no console to play it on.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Unreal for getting me in to PC Gaming, and Unreal Tournament for getting me into online gaming.

Can I have my old Epic MegaGames back, please?