New boy - after assistance

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
As a new starter on the Unreal online levels I have some questions...
I am not too shoddy for an amateur (I have won a couple of levels with about 30-40 frags). However, I seem to be cut down like roadkill by people with just one shot, and sometimes I even get whooped by the dispersion pistol! Granted, one good shot from the rifle or razorjack and it's goodbye head, but the dispersion pistol? I can hit my opponents many times with an 8ball or flak cannon, yet they still survive! Am I just crap and need much more practice, or is there something I am missing (apart from my opponents)?
Also, how do you load your keys with messages?
Yours, GN

[BuF]Wacky

Mar 24, 2000
Glasgow, UK
imperialconflict.iscool.net
I just thought that I should mention that sometimes lag makes it look as though you are knocking the hell out of someone, but you are in fact missing them completely. Lag does weird things to a game.... and packet loss is even worse. Also people may be well armoured up with shoulder and thigh pads and can take quite a few hits before dying.

The best hint that can be given to a newbie is simple.... NEVER EVER STAND STILL... not even for a moment.... always keep moving, even if you are sniping.

You can bind keys to speach under the options tab. "Speach Bind" I think it's called.

does that help you out m8?

ukliam3.gif
boldblue.gif
boldlblue.gif
boldpurple.gif
boldred.gif
bounce.gif
ukliam2.gif

[PuF]Wacky{JEDI} JEDICLAN
Scotland's SETI

bullet2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[BuF]Wacky

Mar 24, 2000
Glasgow, UK
imperialconflict.iscool.net
When you press F1, it will list all of the scores. If you look under each name is tells you what your ping is as well as your packet loss. A ping of between 250 and 400 is ok for a 56k modem. However, any packet loss at all can be a nightmare.
A ping of 1 is equal to one thousandth of a second. So a ping of 500 means that you are seeing a half second delay, which is usually lethal :(

bullet2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ta, I will examine my figures.
The tip about not standing still was lethal for some of my opponents thanks! I am getting in the top 3 for most games now, so once I have my lag sorted I will be happy.
Is it the internet connection that governs the lag (my ping is mediocre:250-400), or can I do other things to help out? I am running a p3 450 with 192RAM and a v90 modem, with a 32Meg graphics card etc. so my system is OK (or is it?). If it is just my internet connection I may be buggered until I can get a better ISP, I may have to resort to using my PC at work with twin ISDN lines giving a ping of 60-90!