JB-Agitation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Another map in the works. Had a load of ideas, and its much easier to make them rather than write them down.
agitation1.jpg

agitation0.jpg

Its an Alpha at the moment, but take a look around and give me pointers, there are some areas I need help with:
Some of them I should be able to solve, but response is always nice, and it gives you something to look at while i fix the bugs.
Download Here

I've never seen bots so stupid (the map is pathed basicly, some routes aren't available for the bots), they all go the same way at the moment, (the low route by the water)
This is a real problem in jail where they wont actually leave the jail, cant see why at the moment. If anyone can shed light into why the bots dont leave the jail when released please let me know.

Another problem which the bots cause, is anything even remotrly resembling trickjumping. Even a dodge jump seems to much, let alone wall dodging... You will see there are loads of opportunities for trickjumping (some of whih make releasing too easy - will be fixed)

Lots of visual stuff to be touched up, the curved tunnel and the bases being the obvious points. There too plain. Also the final version is going to have a nice pretty skybox.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Last edited:

AcydBurn

Nov 18, 2004
Looks good so far, Head. Will take a look as soon as I get a second to breathe from Apophis and Atlantis.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Ok nice ;)

Before anyone points it out as a bug, you are meant to be able to escape out of either jail release.
For the final release you will have weapons to stop your opponents escaping out of your release when they get released.
Thought it would jail more fun ;)

INIQUITOUS

Purple Monkey DishWasher
Mar 26, 2005
U.K
www.ini.hazelwhorley.com
coming along nicely..cant really comment on anything as its not even nearly half finished yet i think... so heres what i think so far and you will go "yes i know" a few times i think lol

-can get up ontop of map.no blocking volumes
-the what i presume is "water" uses a horrible texture with trees and rocks on it? :S
-2 redeemers in the same room? 1 redeemer in jailbreak is stupid and bad enough,.but 2! omg

other than that its coming alog nicely.. you can hide next to the redeemer weapon bases btw in those pipe things.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I've just had a look. In my opinion it's too small and it will play +/- like Cyanide, (with a bit more z-axis). :( You should add some more paths going on different heights... and make the map a little bigger... ;)
- The lowest path is too short and it will be taken by everyone, nothing good tbh... :rolleyes:
- Give more ways to attack those switches... 2 of them require jumptricks and the only one available for 'normal people' is too slow and ovbious. :p
- If you are orienting the map to jumptricks, don't forget liftjumps! :D
- You will have a problem with the bots doing the dodgejumps and walldodges... Blitz made a Bot-only-Jumpad actor that works pretty nicely pathing some dodgejumps (if you don't overuse it), check it out [attached bellow]... For walldodges, I don't know anything... 2 of those BotJumpads wouldn't look very realistic... :lol:

With the bots taking only one path and no weapons/healths I can't say much more... Keep working on it... :)

Attachments

• BotUTJumpad.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Still looks very boxy.
Try bringing in the top of the room. Take the sort of central beam you have in the first shot, and use that shape on the sides as well.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Hmmmm have decided that I really don't like this level much any more.... Bots are annoying.

Am going to significantly change the layout. At the moment there is just too much of an advantage to anyone capable of tricking, Will keep the jail and centre room, get rid and buld the map more along the length of the main room.

Would 3 significant routes from the main room to each base be enough? (more if you include swapping between parts of them)

@G.Lector, thnx for that actor, will be handy ;)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Got a bit of an update here.

Its nothing really playable yet, more of an indication of ideas I have running through my mind.
At the moment Its just half a map, later on in development I'll obviously duplicate the bases round....

Just would like a bit of feed back on the visual aspects of the map, theres a lot still to tweak, just don't want you to think I have given up on the map.

I'l once again say its not a playable map (you can run around etc) just a demonstration of what I'm working on getting in the end.
All credit on the skybox to Hazel and her texture pack

Download Alpha-2

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I've only looked at it in the editor. I liked the idea of making the map bigger. However, the paths are not going well IMO... The cramped lower pipe is one-way only and not connected at all with the other rooms... I'd say remove it, try to add more rooms and connect them with short hallways/pipes... ;)
The middle needs more z (walkways) and paths merging there at different heights [IMO :rolleyes:]...
I haven't tried the jails. Do you want players to be damaged by the opposite team when they are being released? If so, there should be a second door (or kickers) at a distance from the main jaildoor to avoid everone sitting beside it... ;)
Keep it up!

Last edited:

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
The layout is looking good so far :)

agitation2.jpg
I didn't like the long tunnel underneath the map. It's difficult to get out where the lift is and you can easily get stuck there (the only way I managed to get out by using the lift is lift jump + shield jump).

agitation1.jpg
I like the way you've use the shadow effects here, and with the palm trees. The coronas on the lights look out of place IMO, they need a bit of colour, smaller size and maybe a different texture, and they would look better moved closer to the lights.

agitation3.jpg
- All the light sources in this room are very dark except for the blue light from behind the grate. I think the lights on the ceiling and sunlight from outside need to be brighter to give the lighting more contrast.
- The 3 projectors in a row run fine on my machine, but I'm not sure how it'll affect the fps on other systems.

Keep up the good work :) :tup:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
G.Lecter said:
I haven't tried the jails. Do you want players to be damaged by the opposite team when they are being released? If so, there should be a second door (or kickers) at a distance from the main jaildoor to avoid everone sitting beside it... ;)
I have no idea what you mean here....

Underground tunnel.
Yeh your right it sucks... lol
I did it to continue the theme from when you first enter the pipe in the main room. will make it so it is pipe going down then changes into proper rooms.
Eventually I'm hoping to have something about each room that you will remember, maybe a tricky task but should be fun. Expect countless betas.... lol.

btw, not that it matters now, I know the liftjump was basically impossible to do, would have fixed that, but since im not keeping it as it is, might do something similar in another place.....

Corona fix = can do :)

Yeh loads of work needs to be put in on the lighting. Will work on it all when I have time.

And about the projecters, They're simple projections and shouldnt cause a problem, if you have a rig that can't handle the level of complexity in this map you raelly shouldnt be running with projecters enabled.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
The_Head said:
I have no idea what you mean here...
Jrubzjeknf said:
NEW IDEA (based on The_Head's new map with weapons in the shared jail): The_Head would like one team to blow the asses of the other team to pieces when they're being released.
I just wanted to say if you make this^, everyone in the jails would stay beside the jaildoor. Therefore, if they are released they will be out of the jail before the other team is ready to shoot anything.
You should add something (another door / kickers) to avoid that... ;)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Never got near being finished, I don't plan to finish it for UT2004 either. I started running out on ideas and the map never really flowed that well anyway. It was based around a flashy jail setup that I couldn't quite get working how it was intended.

However I may take some ideas from it for a UT3 Jailbreak map. Will have to try and find a version of it on my harddrive