UT2kX CTF-Senate

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net

Download Senate (6455 KO)

Mortals are not told what purpose serve the Premakan giants, the angry gods of the automatons, in their mechanical senate, as they work in deathly silence inside the empty halls to accomplish the emperor's will. Only those who are destined not to come back are allowed to venture near the cores of the reactors, to fight for two glorious rags, battered relics of a glorious age, an age of blood and gold.

Well folks, this is it, UT2004 is 10 years old and is still the best game ever made. As my personnal hommage, I made a short break from my usual Unreal 1 shennanigans to make a map in the style of the good ol'days. This is a medium-sized CTF map, modeled after the map that got me into mapping, DOM-Core. It also serves as my shoutout to Unreal Championship and Unreal Tournament 2003, so I have used UT2003 pickup bases on purpose, and the description references stuff from the UC/UT2k3 timeline which has been pretty much un-canoned by Epic at this point.

Since this is my first post, I'll take the time to explain that I've been mapping since 2003 and released my first map in 2005. here is my entire life's work, on Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004. I'm usually hanging out on OldUnreal.com, but since this is a UT2k4 map, I thought I'd drop it here. Take the time to look at my other stuff. You'll notice the newer they are, the better they get, except DM-Premaka, my very first, is one of my bestesterest ones.

Have fun, and long live UT2004, my favourite game of all time. Many times I declared such and such game my favourite, but one that keeps me coming back after ten years is the real thing.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Wow!!!

Just want to say, whoever has not tried this is missing out on a great one!

This seems to be one of the most fun and most frustrating custom maps in UT2004. I love the flag rooms with the huge reactor core, great textures/meshes, lighting (green, yellow and shadows) and plenty of z-axis. The insanely high ceiling in the flag areas are awesome! The highest high path can be a way to avoid the bots on lower settings, but on adept they do try to go up there so watch out. The theme seems to be continued in other areas with the open areas for health and tight areas for weapons. I like the corridors, catwalks, fast lifts, pipes and weapon/item placement (although I find myself with enforcer-only a lot in flag area for some odd reason). Not sure I remember the Unreal map (DOM-Core, seems I only DLed DM maps for Unreal) this is modeled after, but it has a good mix of tight and open gameplay. It can be confusing in the high areas, so make sure you study the layout of the map before playing seriously.

EDIT: Version 4: Just realized you have an awesome description in the preview shot to make the Premakans proud! Also, I like the addition of the team arrows added to help know which way to go at certain key areas.:) Not sure about the lighting bug or the jump spot changes, but I'm sure they were needed.;)

P.S. - I'm going to try DM-Atomnium also very soon.

Last edited:

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Thanks a lot for the compliments :) as for only having the AR in the flag room, there is a bio rifle next to the flag and the Shock/RocketLauncher are not very far away from it ;)

The pathing has been the most hair-tearing part in this map but bots should take the upper routes; I have specifically redone the AssaultPaths at least three times for them to understand they could go up there.

If you try Atomnium (or another), by all means, tell me what you think of it, this is an older map which was very troublesome and I never got much feedback for it.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
nice huge CTF map!

As far as the flag room weapons, I have always hated the biorifle and always will.;) I just never quite figured out where the RL/Shock were in time to grab and engage bots. They are brutal on adept (been playing skilled all this time).:) Yes, I'll let you know about Atomnium soon. I can't find a thread for it, so I'll just post it in here. Would you prefer a new post or edit my old one (I'll just edit this one)?

EDIT: I'll just edit this post. Yes, but it is frustrating in a CTF-Darji16 sort of way. It's tough to figure out where you're going but fun/challenging at the same time. Maybe a couple directional signals on each side would have helped though.

EDIT AGAIN: Version 4: I like the addition of the team arrows added to help know which way to go at certain key areas.:)

Here's my review of Atomnium next:

DM-Atomnium > duel in a bunker, hmmmmm…….like the changing preview shots, stock music choice, blues/oranges, trim everywhere, other rigid metallic designs and weapon/item placement (except for flak cannon, I kept going for shock rifle expecting flak cannon;)). This map has good lighting and great flow/layout/connectivity. The bot (Baetel) is crazy good on adept (had me 0-7 at one point, I’m not saying who won).

I also posted this review at Epic in my UT2004 DM maps review thread.;)
http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/934313

Last edited:

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
You won't find a thread for Atomnium because it was released years ago (2008 IIRC ? Too lazy to check my own website right now), and I just signed up on BU for the release of Senate. Atomnium was a very difficult map to complete for me, and it's like nothing else I did on UT2004. I wrote about the building process here. You might not care, but I know some people (including me) like to know stuff about how a project came to life. I'll write about Senate one of these days.

You can post your feedback about Atomnium in this thread in a new post. I also encourage you to try premaka, my very first map, which is still one of the funniest I made (and very simple, yet nicely made, it doesn't look like ass, as most 1st maps do).

Thanks for taking a look and appreciating them, there's not much activity around UT2004 nowadays, it's nice to know some people still take the time to test what I do :)

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Hey hellkeeper I played your map, I agree with skaarjmaster, maybe if you could update the map ( its optional logically is your map lol) only to reduce the laberyntic feel from many z-axis corridors and passages by putting some of sort the symbol zoning to tell players where are they landing on, if you are crossing towards red base zone, maybe you could put a red symbol on the wall or some light red or so ( That feature I let you fly to your imagination lol) or vice-versa when its blue.

Overall is a fresh concept map, I you were have don this olny would be a great map ( anyways its great but a bit hard to move due to that laberyntic feel you can get lost there lol!). Thank you for making another ut2k4 map dont stop making map in whatever ut series lol

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
My previous post seems to have been lost in the moderation queue.

Thanks for your comments guys :)

I have updated the map (new version is 1.4). You can download the latest version in the first post of this thread : I have modified some JumpSpots to improve bot translocation. I have also added several team markers and arrows to help players see where they are going. This should improve things a bit. Tell me if that's better.

SkaarjMaster : thanks for taking a look at Atomnium :) And thanks for posting on the Epic forums too; I'm not registered there, but that'll maybe help share this map. ;)

Last edited:

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Good to know it's better now :)

I plan to keep on mapping until someone has to scrape my putrid corpse off of that chair, but I make maps for both UT2004, UT99 and Unreal, so it'll depend. If my next idea is for a single player map, I'll do it for Unreal. If it's for some domination or deathmatch, I'd probably chose UT99. If I have an idea for CTF, BR or else, it'll be for UT2004.

Basically, yes, new UT2004 maps as soon as I have a UT2004 idea ;) However, I may have an idea tomorrow or it might take a year, so I can't make promises.

I try to make at least one map a year, but since this one is already out for 2014 and there are still 10 months before 2015, I might manage to make a second map this year unless I get very busy. Whatever I do, I'll make a thread here anyway.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Happy 10th Anniversary UT2004! Great map to mark the occasion. Looking forward to playing this. ;) Between making maps for UT2004 and UT3, I honestly believe that between the two, while I believe UT3 is great in some ways, UT2004 just seems more memorable.