Need for bright skins?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bright skins?

• no

Votes: 48 68.6%
  • yes

Votes: 22 31.4%

• Total voters

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Brightskins - I'm in favor of them. I've stated my reasons before and won't get into it again. All I'll say is that what's "visible" for one person isn't necessarily visible for others.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
I like brightskins and hitsounds...Hitsounds should be in the game by default IMO, but optional, and off by default, and the auditory clues without hitsounds should be sufficient.

Brightskins...I like them, a lot. I think they should make the skins quite bright by standard (no I don't mean glowstick aka utcomp). And put an extra glow AROUND (not the whole body like utcomp did) the player (optional and off by default), basically use your ue3 skills and make the glow effect/watever-effect look sick.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
.I do understand that some models are ridiculously unfair in terms of brightness,

Ahhhhh, looks like i am not the only one to think about this. Mainly about matrix and tamira, but especialy Matrix.

Funny thing is that, i see people using matrix only on non-utcomp servers, since UT comp offer the over-bright skins customization their 'advantage/oportunity' are screwed up.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Well, I think either Epic has something up their sleeves or they're just not done yet, but if you look at the new ONS pics, there's no Red v Blue colors. Teams (as in Necris, Iron Guard, etc.) have their own colors. I think that helps, the armor color that is, everyone looks the same but different and you can tell what is what and don't have to worry about dark skins.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Renegade Retard said:
Brightskins - I'm in favor of them. I've stated my reasons before and won't get into it again. All I'll say is that what's "visible" for one person isn't necessarily visible for others.
Don't you think that's something that could be fixed with GOOD model forcing, though?

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
I agree with UnrealGrrl on this one. I personaly never needed them, though the stock brightskins were useful, nor would i be against them in the game as long as the defalt had them off.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
The included hitsounds are more fair because you have to be within a certain range of a person to know you did damage and to see how much damage you probably did.

The only problem is that these sounds suck, for the reasons T2A pointed out. UT had a flesh-hit sound for almost every weapon, clearly visible pain animations, and different pain sounds for different damage amounts. It looked and sounded quite natural (certainly more natural than a "plink!"). The lack of flesh impact sounds in particular seemed like a lazy omission to me when I first played UT2004. The less UT2007's handling of this sucks, the less desire there will be for an alternative.

Of course, I also suspect UTComp's hitsounds weren't just there to correct the weak built-in effects, but more likely because a lot of players were used to Quake3 and wanted something similar. I certainly hope they don't put "plinks" in UT2007 just to please these little punks. :p

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
I'm glad most people are against the un-natural ping. If they include pings it should be client dependent not server dependent.

[ACE]Boru

Sep 5, 2005
I voted no. Competitive matches between sniper clans are usually played using default UT99 skins as opposed to custom clan skins which are usually pretty dark. All default skins are bright except for the War Machine skin which is only a little darker. It's kinda hard to play a stealth game when you're sticking out so much so I'm up for dark skins in 2K7.

It's been said that 2K7 will come with an inbuilt option to customise your own personalised skin. Personally, that's one of the things about the game that has me really excited.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
I'd love it if teams werent red / blue. If it were species based it would look a lot better imo. Of course it could turn into a terrible thing if done incorrectly.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I never liked bright skins, never felt like they're needed, and never want them back. If bright skins were a member of BuF, he'd be an obnoxious 13 year-old troll that would be insta-banned in a week. If someone feels like making "bright skins" then make new skins for character models that are "brighter," not some crappy neon gloss in variations of red and blue.

I bet there's going to be a bright-skins mod within two days of the release :D

TraCK

Amateur Sketch
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas City
It's cool in Quake games how you can tell how much health they have left by how painful their grunts sound. It's most obvious in Doom3 multiplayer but then again I was one of 30 people who played that.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
nuttella said:
The only problem is that these sounds suck, for the reasons T2A pointed out. UT had a flesh-hit sound for almost every weapon, clearly visible pain animations, and different pain sounds for different damage amounts. It looked and sounded quite natural (certainly more natural than a "plink!"). The lack of flesh impact sounds in particular seemed like a lazy omission to me when I first played UT2004. The less UT2007's handling of this sucks, the less desire there will be for an alternative.
They aren't nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be. In any case, they are far more fair than *plink* *plonk* *plunk*.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, I actually scared a clan buddy the other day when he killed me in a fire fight, and we were all in the same channel, and I told my teammate how much health he had left. Exactly.

Given, that's not just precise counting, you gotta feel a lot of it too, but considering I don't play with hitsounds in any mod, it's a standing testament to the fact that the in game stuff really isn't that bad. May vary from config and rig, but they aren't that bad by design.

I've also tested them at low res's, and low settings, and they are all visible. Lag is probably the biggest killer of them.

Regardless, there are times where you shouldn't know how much damage you did, or if you even hit your target.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
My acc is pretty sporadic, because of mood, map, and current level of practice, but generally, I think brightskins put about 10% on my LG if I shoot the same number of shots.

I usually don't though, because I won't take blind shots and waste the ammo, so if I do shoot the same acc, I do it in less shots.

I don't try for headshots often, so most of mine are luck anyways, and I pay little attention to them.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
It is a bit easier to aim for headshots with UTcomp brightskins, since you just aim at the non-brightened part of the model.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
bd12m said:
to me it is a fundemental flaw in the game if bright skins are needed - after all, UT99 never needed them.
Yet they were still used...