How about BU sending some community questions to Epic?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Will the bots be able to actually search you? Meaning -> I have no idea what it's like in UT2004, but say in ctf when you cap -> Do they always know where you are?

-> I know that's the case in UT, and back when I played ctf it did bother me a bit.
Didn't irritate, no, but it would be well.. more fun if they'd be looking for you instead of "homing in on your signal".

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
moonflyer said:
one more question:
- Will the loading screen be different from the one of ut2k3,4? Will we see loading bar and custom background picture for each map?

That's been answered already. It will be seamless, with no loading screen.

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
that's going to be so pro, hopefully they will not let everyone rup until it's done loading so it's not like anti tcc though :(

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Neophoenix said:
That's been answered already. It will be seamless, with no loading screen.

really? so that means when i start ut2k7, and select one map, and click "run", i am already in the game?:lol:
for me, seamless loading means when you are in the game, the level keeps loading from time to time when you move from one section to another, and no interruption. So that's not what we are supposed to see in ut2k7?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
In theory that's how it works and will probably work for huge maps (if there are any), but they've already said they use the seamless loading to load the upcoming map for the next match in the background to let people continue arguing about how off the teams were. Or whatever. :p

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
NeoNite said:
Will the bots be able to actually search you? Meaning -> I have no idea what it's like in UT2004, but say in ctf when you cap -> Do they always know where you are?

-> I know that's the case in UT, and back when I played ctf it did bother me a bit.
Didn't irritate, no, but it would be well.. more fun if they'd be looking for you instead of "homing in on your signal".

They still know exactly where you are, and I agree, that would be nice. There's a lot about bot AI I'd like to see improved, and that's one of the main ones. Others are

1. Force a delay between dodges, ffs. Just as they would dodge back and forth in UT, they can dodge into walls and dodge off them in 2k4, another "bots-only" move.

2. Fix the CTF defense AI. They were a lot better in UT99. Now they pretty much camp by the flag and sometimes attack invading enemies. Sometimes they seem to be AFK. And if the flag is gone, they just sit there like idiots and do nothing, even if you're standing next to them with the flag. Fix that please.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Will they also start shooting at you before they have visual?
And will they continue to take less damage and deal more damage that actual humans?

As of now they seem to do all of those things, and it is comepleatly lame.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Neophoenix said:
Will they also start shooting at you before they have visual?

Real players do this all the time, though not in the same way. It sort of simulates prediction. They are bots, though, so they're going to be a little hax-y. I'd like to see them affected by fog and low lighting like in some other games (e.g. Far Cry).

And will they continue to take less damage and deal more damage that actual humans?

They may seem to, but they don't. (Some humans seem this way too.)

If you play them in slow motion (slomo .5), so you can aim with absurd precision, you'll see that you can kill them just as quickly with things like the minigun and link.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Godlike UT bots are able to "see" you through walls, sometimes. Keeping a locked signal on your position, for a while.

Bots do need some advantages. The quick dodging never really bothered me, but ut2004 has those extra moves etc... I guess it's more irritating...

TraCK

Amateur Sketch
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas City
Have you guys noticed that bots can load up three rockets and fire them in different directions? They'll load up three and fire two in one spot and one more in another.:eek: If theres some way you can do this that I don't know about I'm going to feel really stupid... LOL:lol:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Yeah, those rocket h4x are just stupid, and no, you can't do that. The bots need a total rewrite. Everything about them is horrible and unrealistic, from how they move to how they aim to the tactics they [don't] use. There are large problems, such as their 100% accuracy up close and their 0% accuracy from far away, to little annoying-but-totally-stupid problems like how they don't shoot at you after they hit a jump pad or lift jump. They stand there when your flag's gone and they completely ignore everything, even abandon fights to turn around and walk away, when they get down to a certain health amount. Yet at the same time, they can shoot in any direction without looking or taking the time to aim so long as the direction is in the front half of their view "sphere." Try spectating a bot in first person. It's pretty ridiculous.

If they fix anything about the bots, I want them to make it so that bots get disoriented at close distances just like human players do. Right now they never, ever lose track of anything up close and you are almost certainly dead if you get near them. Yet, if you try to shoot rockets at them they'll dodge every one. That's God damned stupid. :mad: The way they coded their aim is pretty stupid too. A bot could hit you with hitscan every time if it wanted, but for every shot a bot makes, a random factor is thrown in to adjust that shot. Thus, whether a bot hits you or not has nothing to do with the difficulty of the shot and everything to do with some random value that may or may not knock the shot off enough so that it misses. This is why bots are utterly harmless from a distance but 99% deadly in close range: a little random adjustment doesn't do anything substantial to throw off a shot up close, but from far away that turns into a huge miss.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
(sorry if this has already been said, I have a short memory ;P)

- What's the current state of movement/dodgability in UT2007? I'm remembering an earlier interview where it was said that the dynamic would be closer and more in-your-face, rather like UT1 (as opposed to UT200x where you rarely get a good look at your opponent's face). I assume you have the movement options confirmed now as it's necessary for map design, so I'm sure the competitive community especially will want to know the main differences in the central gameplay dynamic (throwing vehicles and other extras out of the window temporarily). Cheers!

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The game will keep all the current moves, though they will be more like jumping, and not flying! That's what they said =)

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Yeah, but that's a fairly abstract statement, I was hoping to get something more specific from Epic. My reasoning is that it'd be a shame to have all that effort put into fantastic-looking faces only for the combat mechanism to prevent you from ever getting close enough to notice. UT1's movement ensured that you could take in every gorgeous detail. Not to mention that the closer combat felt rather more fun to me (I'm not being nostalgic, I just went back in for a few games the other day and noted what I liked).

TraCK

Amateur Sketch
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas City
I hope they still have all the cool sheild jumps and secret locations in stock maps. Just last night me and a friend spent 20 minutes seeing if you could 2-man sheild jump out the window of Idoma.:lol: You can't, but there are a lot of cool spots in stock maps that keep me entertained while I try to get to them. Little easter eggs like these I think are epics way of showing that they really do care about their hardcore fans.:D

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I wish the next generation of UT bots would get more humanlike settings, but they need an edge though. Otherwise people will complain they're too easy.

Make bots learn from the player. That's what I really wanted to see in UT. Adapt to the player's moves, tricks, style etc...

Easier said than done =) Ah well, it'll happen one day...