Adrenaline in UT2007, Yay or Nay?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Epic keep Adrenaline in UT2007?

• Yay

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • Nay

Votes: 67 58.8%

• Total voters

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Adrenaline was introduced in UT2003 (but already hinted at with the Relics in one of the BP:s for UT99)
I havent read anything about Epics plans about this.

With a clean slate for UT2007 and everything should Adrenaline stay or not?

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
yes, more combos, faster adrenaline gain, slower consumption, but MUCH weaker effects of adrenaline, mainly for adding variety.

BadAss84

BadAss[zero]
May 21, 2003
UK
Nay, remove it.

I don't mind adren but they didn't really implement it that well and most servers disable it anyway.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
I remember playing this one doom style map in some map pack for ut2004 that had a secret door and hallway that led to a room with some crazy orb in the middle. The orb was like bezerk and amp in one package. And when you teleport out of the room you can hear souls screaming through-out the entire map. That was pretty awesome. I think pickups would be a lot easier to implement. Plus people could imbed custom pickups in their maps. Like an angel pickup that makes enemy fire pass through you and not do any damage or something. What would be even more awesome is if the map gradually changed with pickup count downs.

Like the map would be cold and grey and as the custom pickup timer counts down the map will change colors and details will start appearing like lava pouring down the walls and steam coming out of cracks in the floor and when someone grabs the pickup all hell runs loose and crazy particle effects fly throughout the entire map. Holographic souls flying through the hallways and the high ceiling opening up to a shower of flaming meteors.

Pickups are the heartbeat of a level. Only a few observant players realize that.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I voted Yay, but with the condition that it is hammered out better.

Personally, I think that Adrenaline is better suited to gametypes like ONS and perhaps Conquest where long effects are not as important as they are in the core gametypes. For example, Speed on Torlan is not going to get you a huge advantage, whereas Speed on Citadel is.

Unreal Championship 2 was a better implementation, although I don't think it would stand the rigors of M/K playing. What they need is a way to implement the propriety of UC2 into the elasticity of UT, whether that's by Melee weapons or some other front, I don't know. I do know that Adrenaline would be a good idea implemented correctly. I feel that it wasn't implemented correctly in the 2kX series so far.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
What sel said, it makes the skill gap farther apart than it should be.

However the UC2 adren's a far far better implementation than 2k*.

IMHO pickups are better than rewards, but i never liked relics anyway. I'd just like to see more varied pickups, Amp, Shield.. that's all there is in 2k*, not even Inviz anymore, which is very annoying.

Things like Berserk could be easily implemented as a pickup, which would free it up for other people to get and not just the person doing best..

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Adrenaline only favors the good players. Average ones rarely make it to 100 adren. in a match, and new players don't even know what the deal with all the pills are (RTFM is not a good option).

I really liked UT99's way better. Bring back the invisibility pickup and the jump boots :tup:

EDIT: almost forgot...adrenaline also increases the gap between the pub player and the pro's (the latter ones simply refuse to adapt to the game), which is IMO never a good thing.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
As interesting as it is in concept, I don't feel that it worked out very well. For one, the button presses needed to perform the combos are annoying because I am always invoking Invisibility when I am just dodging around.

I will say that speed is much better since the adrenaline burns off faster for a FC now.

I recall that when the idea was being implemented, some of the guys at Digital Extremes were telling me that the idea was that Adrenaline would be rare enough that you'd maybe get to use it once a round. If that were actually the case then it might be more tolerable.

The best thing that they could do imo, is to take a long look at the Threewave Relics and the Unreal RealCTF Relics and copy those very closely. I wasn't a big fan of the UT Relics for point of reference.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I love Threewave Relics :)

hal said:
The best thing that they could do imo, is to take a long look at the Threewave Relics and the Unreal RealCTF Relics and copy those very closely. I wasn't a big fan of the UT Relics for point of reference.

I think the point about those is that (iirc) there was only ever one of each type, unlike UT Relics that seemed to spawn pretty much anywhere. That'd be a nice alternative to adrenaline.

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
Lol... I don't care whether it's in, actually. From a CTF perspective, here are the ups and downs:

Pro: Adren can break a deadlock if used well against a well- matched team. Plus it's kind of fun and you know the match is halfway over when you start hearing the "whoosh."

Con: Adren can ruin a map if it's not well- distributed and yes, if there's a butt- kicking in progress then adren turns a sandwich into a banquet.

So yeah, in the end the good and the bad kind of cancel out for me... I wouldn't scream if they left it in, and neither would I be upset if they took it out. Another thing to consider is what the weapon/ health/ movement mix is going to be in UT2k7; it may not need adren at all, who knows?

All of the above refences 2k4 adren, BTW. 2k3 adren was a little annoying because there was too much of it... with players constantly popping in and out of a souped- up state it made the overall flow of the game seem kind of jerky, if that makes any sense. At any rate, it was too much IMO.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
It was too much, Fact. ;)

Adrenaline was a nice idea, far better done in UC2 than 2k* but i think it should be dropped in favour of pickup goodies, imho.

Swerto

The Founder Of The PL4Y4 H474Z
Jul 29, 2005
They need adreniline cuz it's in the next tournament( UC2 which is 1 year after this) just make it uc2 style