Nobody joins my multiplayer games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
to play a multi player game instead of creating one just browse through the list of multi player games in the server browser...ie choose search for games on the internet.
The rest should be self explanatory.

Dec 31, 2000
Visit site
A lot of people play from a favorites list so they wouldn't see yours. People who browse won't join empty games.

To get your server going it will need to be on all the time. You will have to ask (Another word for beg) some players to come and play a few times. After people see that there are players there they will join and maybe add it to their favorites.

If you post the ip here perhaps some will come to try it out.

That's the best that I can do.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Usually when I challenge my friend to a game, people join in every now and then; However, we use lots of custom maps and skins. Most people will try to find another server than wait for all those downloads.

Danny_Diplo

Death By Diplodocus!
Jun 11, 2001
Liverpool, UK
www.dipo.co.uk
You have made sure you've checked broadcast server , right?

Also, if you're sitting on a non-dedicated server with 0 ping, don't expect people to join it - nobody want to play against someone with a zero ping who has admin rights (and hence can cheat).

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
I was going to say what Danny did. Make sure the ADVERTISE SERVER is checked. My buddy runs a server sometimes, and people join (He's a cable guy.) Noone would ever join us until I told him "Hey pal, did you set ADVERTISE SERVER?" It's OFF by default.

TENSION_BUILDER

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
oooooooohhhhhhhhh i forgot about that advertise thingy.

thanks and im not sure if it would be a good clan server because ill just have it on when im on the comp. but maybe at set times i could have it on.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
naw it won't make a clan server if it's running of your home PC.
A dedicated server ...all the ones you see when you browse for games on the net are pretty much servers which just have UT running and nobody really uses them. If you use that computer then the server gets slow.
I'm assuming that all you want to do is play an online game right?
Then simply search for games on the net instead of creating your own. If you wanna play a mod or something that you dled....well hardly anybody plays any mods online, so you gotta find people to play with your first and then set up a server. I'll bet ya right now even if you advertise it odds are rare that anyone will join.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Originally posted by OshadowO
I'll bet ya right now even if you advertise it odds are rare that anyone will join.

I dis-agree Shadow. My buddy fires up his server (cable) and I connect to it (56K) and we get people joining all the time. No one fears his ZERO ping. It's me they worry about. AND believe me do I rip on my friend when I beat him (which is 90% of the time). I'm on a MODEM he's on the SERVER with ZERO ping and I STILL smoke him. Hehehehe

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Both, I guess. hehehe, OK so he's not that good. He's not REAL bad, just average, I'd say. It astounds him how I lay waste to him while lagged. I've just learned how to play with lag. Drives him nuts.
Then he'll finaly win one and start talking trash.
Him "HAHA I won!"
Me " You SHOULD win alot more ZERO-PING-BOY!!!"
*snicker*

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Okay, so I take it you start a multiplayer game when you start up UT.

That's good only if you are going to host a game and other players know what your ip is and are planning to join.

Keep in mind that playing UT uses a lot of processor power, and it'll end up being a laggy server for whomever joins up with you. This can usually work okay for only one other player when you're hosting, and you'll have a definite advantage with the ping. (You'll be lag free, while your opponent will have lag.)

A full time server shouldn't have anyone playing the game on the same computer that's hosting it.

Instead of starting a game, you should really join a game.

Go to multiplayer, find internet games. Click on the gametype you enjoy most, DM, CTF, DOM etc. You will get a list of servers. Join the one with the lowest ping that has people in it already playing and you'll be on your way against other people online.