what's so great about uwindows?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ruprecht

Cheeky Monkey
TWD said:
let me clarify when I mean customize I mean that if I make a mutator and it has an options window the options should be nearly automatic so that ANY idiot could do it.

and again WHY do you like it? What's so great about uwindows that you want it back?

People fear change. That being said, I do prefer UWindows. But that is personal preference.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
TWD said:
I really don't understand this. There's nothing great about uwindows besides the fact that you can have multiple windows open at the same time (which is completely useless to you)... So why do some people want it so badly?

It's useful for mod authors so they can add items to the menus. It was also a weak point in UT cheat wise.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Looking through UWindows

I prefered UWindows, not just that they had right click functionality, but because they were much nicer than the boring, been-done-thousands-of-times-before console garbage you get with so many games.

UWindows was a great leap forward in game GUI design. It needed to be easier to code for though.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
In what way is a shoddy Windows/Photoshop ripoff a great leap forward in game GUI design other than some people thought it looked nice?

*puts rose next to monitor*

Look - it's revolutionary!

All of the "advanced" things about UWindows were largely toys that did nothing to advance the game itself.

Ominous

Oct 19, 2001
Indianapolis
www.carpeimperium.com
Well, I guess unlike most here I spend most of my time playing the game online as opposed to browsing thru the interface, checking out functionality and see if I can right click, copy/paste, etc ;) As long as I can set my key binds the way I like and find a game online, I'm happy. Couldn't care less if it was unwindows or a console look a like interface, I just want to play. :D

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
^^^^^^

Have to agree (with [Ci]Ominous) . I spend more time in the console (DOS style baby) then in the menu's anyways. Or doing manual INI edits. Or playing the game. I don't mind the menus, because having a mouse makes it seem nothing like a console. I don't have to use a dpad to scroll down the list of options. I point and click. So I can't even see the "console feel" you all speak of, other then just the way it looks.

Last edited: