i need a new mouse

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Hey guys, long time no speak!

I'm looking for a new mouse. I haven't had to buy one in a while (since 2007), but I need one that I can customize to work well in AutoCAD. I have the 3D Spacemouse, but its not gray in CAD, and I would rather have more useable buttons on my right hand.

Any thoughts on what a good customizable mouse for work would be?

PS

I seriously miss fragging with some of u guys!

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
U mean a tilt scroll wheel? The main issue I have with my work mouse is that it has a tilt wheel, but when I try and push the button now, the goes to the tilt. It has made panning in CAD difficult.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
From a comparison I did for myself a few months ago...

Logitech G600 - has 20 Buttons but also a Tilt Wheel it's a USB Wired Laser @ 8200 dpi.

RAZER Naga - has 17 Buttons and like stated a tilt wheel -USB wired 5600dpi.

Corsair Vengeance M95 has 15 Buttons - don't think it has tilt - it's also a USB Wired Laser 8200 dpi

Mad Catz M.M.O. 7 15 Buttons - tilt Wheel - USB Wired Laser 6400 dpi

SteelSeries World of Warcraft MMO Legendary Edition has 11 buttons and AFAIK no tilt - USB wired at something like 3600dpi

Mad Catz M.O.U.S. 9 has 10 Buttons - tilt Wheel- it's a Bluetooth(Proprietary USB nub, don't lose it) Wireless Laser 6400dpi

There may be some new options out there...

I would say 'why no trackball for CAD?' but anymore they are damn expensive even for just a decent 1.

Note:

Both physical and programmatic customization of the Mad Catz mice are fantastic (even if there software sucks a bit) but it is real easy to get lemon.

RAZER has notorious durability issues but pretty solid performance.

Logitech has top notch CS, and though odds are you will need it given the default drivers and issues with their recent products, it is probably the safest and ironically the most boring of the lot.

Don't really know anything about the steel series or the corsair beyond stats.

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I had a wireless Logitech a while back and that was a great mouse but it got lost during a house move so I've been using a box standard USB HP one I found kicking around until I could be arsed to get another Logitech but the thing is, I quite like this HP one I'm using.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
TBH I finally gave up searching and filed for 3rd RMA on my R.A.T.7 and this 3rd mouse actually seems to be good 1 everything works right, nothing seems flakey, etc.

Quite frankly unless this 1 to goes belly up, I'll stick with it. Its physical structure aspects make it hands down the most brilliantly conceived computer peripheral ever IMO. The only thing that could trump it to me is taking it to the next step were not just it's form that is modular and customizable but it's functional parts. Couple that with quality and a drag-n-drop customizable module based interface and you'd have a show stopper.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I recently switched from a 10 year old logitech to a razer imperator and I am loving it. I definitely recommend checking out Razer.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Razer stil do some of the best mousepads around though.

I'm still using my Razer Abyssus that I've had for a few years now. That wouldn't be useful in the OP's case, but it's a nice solid mouse. It replaced by Razer Diamondback that finally died after 7 years of abuse.

That said, the newer Razer mice have a reputation for unreliability.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com

It's a knock off of the R.A.T. series but with better tech and less customization. Given razor's greater popularity and better, if only marginally, reliability advantages over Cyborg, it could still be a huge win for them.

that said... only my keyboard is razer, which is cool.

I spilt beer all over my old logitech one. :(

Still using both a logitech G5 and MX revolution... since 2007

I loved my mx Revolution, I macro'd the thumb wheel to a zoom function that was available with my video card via a registry hack. Sorta giving every weapon a scope-ish capability in UT3. Was kinda crappy as it did about the same thing as sticking a huge magnifying glass in front of your monitor... but it sorta worked.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I tried using a Razer mouse once. It's cool if you like using a brick-sized mouse. They're fucking huge.

I was also gifted with normal adult-sized hands, so I use a Logitech G500.

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
that said... only my keyboard is razer, which is cool.

I spilt beer all over my old logitech one. :(

Still using both a logitech G5 and MX revolution... since 2007

I've ruined MANY keyboards with beer, mostly razers. :( I have a new keyboard, the Black Widow Ultimate, and I have a new system for my beer, it ALWAYS remains to the left of me, and I never place it in front of me. If I spill a beer on this keyboard I lose $140, and i can't afford to do that...

I have a Lachesis razer mouse, I like it, fast response times and such, the newer ones are even faster.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Hey guys, long time no speak!

Hey Dude! Sadly I only remember your avatar! :D

I am perfectly happy with my Logitech M705. I was struggling to find a mouse that's big enough for my hands. Seriously, most felt like they are build for kids.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Zomg its JD! <3

My wife is honored that you remember me because of her tits.

I am seeing a lot of recommendations for the Razor, I may go that route.

Last edited: