Epic Working On PC-Exclusive Title

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If you demand versus multiplayer only, you are missing out on tons of really entertaining games. Anarchy mode in Bulletstorm is really excellent as is the horde mode in many games that are currently out.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Copy/paste off a post i made on UnrealSP:

Unfortunately for the Unreal games Epic saw them largely as a dumping ground for their latest technical gizmos and didn't care much about making actual games. id Software is guilty of the same thing. Take for example the very loose connections between the two "Unreal" games. If they called Unreal II something else and made a few tweaks (i.e. removing the Skaarj cameos) a lot of people wouldn't probably realise it was even meant to be an Unreal game. That's how loose the series is.

I personally think that the chances of another Unreal/UT game being produced are very low at this point. Outside of hardcore gaming circles it's not particularly well know or successful. Almost every title in the 2000s reception was either mixed at best or a dissapointment, with UT2004 being the only one to really buck the trend.

The final nail in the coffin was probably when Gears of War 1 was released and turned out to be a huge success, far more than they had ever been able to achieve with any Unreal Tournament game. This probably led to a radical retool of UT3 while it was still in development, with a "war" story being dropped in and a general grimy/gritty atmosphere as Gears of War had it and people seemed to liked that, so they thought if UT3 had the same feel it would be popular too.

Funny that when Epic signed their deal with Midway originally they were contracted to produce three Unreal titles, with Unreal Championship being the first and Unreal Tournament 3 being the second. If they hadn't declared bankruptcy maybe Epic would've put out a third game. Of course (and I bet it was to Epic's delight) that didn't happen.

Epic seems more content with producing other games these days. If Epic really wants to make something like Unreal again they should just start over with a clean slate and forget the Unreal series ever happened. The Unreal series imo ended up being a bland mess of shooters that had little in common with one another and as a result I don't see another reason why they sould produce yet another bland soulless game to add to the pile.

I have the same feeling here, that only Unreal 1 and RTNP were the "Unreal", of course they had to be coz they were the first of this "series".

Quote my post I made in EPIC forums about this new PC game:

IMO they should make another Unreal. After this 14 years we have U1, U1RTNP, UT1, U2, UC, UC2, UT2K3/4, UT3, but among all of these, only U1 and its mission pack RTNP were the true Unreal.
UT1 was like a mutated part of U1.
U2:Awakening, just like the name suggested, was not Unreal 1 sequel (because a true U2 should be called "Unreal 2"), but an "outsourcing" game having entirely different storyline. And its maker Legend Entertainment was shut down right after this project by Atari, so to me it was possibly a project Atari hoped to cash in very quickly when Unreal was really famous back then. But EPIC was too busy with UT2K3 and the new engine so they couldn't do it themselves.
UT2K3,4 and UT3 had nothing to do with the plot of original Unreal. They just made up reasons for the tournament or war-like tournament.
As for UC and UC2, IMO they just looked UT-ish.

But I still do think another Unreal is doable. EPIC can use the experiences they got from Gears to create a nice SP game with cool cinematic-driven storytelling and damn cool atmosphere. Surely they need an entirely different art direction, not Gears-ish, not UT3 version of Gears-ish, not UT2K3/4+U2-ish.
And they can make MP just like what they did for Gears, to base MP on the immersive SP and that's proved to be very successful.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Unreal 1 was a milestone... The amount of content the game included and the variety of environments...It is hard to argue that Epic should start from scratch.
I suspect that many people here would rather Epic throw Unreal 2 under the rug, akin to what was done with UT2k3

I would rather Epic use the basic settings of U1 and bring back the U1 style with modern visual and engine power, redesign the gameplay system from scratch to make sure it's a game of today's standard and still a fast-paced shooter.
I agree they should totally forget about U2.:D

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2558351 said:
Really? Everybody I know who didn't buy it, didn't buy it because it had no decent multi-player, this includes myself. The people demand DM, CTF, etc. etc. not just co-op. Additionally I know several people who pirate all their games and they didn't even bother to pirate this game for just that reason.

I think almost as many people would have refused to buy it if it was a steam based title as do for GFWL That is at least if the number of people who refused to buy DNF for just that reason are any clue.

Also many other gamers I know never heard of it so there may have been some promotional failings.

Edit: still says piracy was a non-factor I guess so I agree with the point if not the details.

GFWL sucks and no MP also sucks, + no map editor.
But I still bought one. And when I recommended this game to my friends they were not quite knowing what this game was about, they didn't pay much attention to what PCF did coz they were not like me a big fan of painkiller.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
I would rather Epic use the basic settings of U1 and bring back the U1 style with modern visual and engine power, redesign the gameplay system from scratch to make sure it's a game of today's standard and still a fast-paced shooter.
I agree they should totally forget about U2.:D

Sounds good to me. The art style of Unreal 1 was AWEsome.

Of course, Skaarj and Nali would have to be there too.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
If you demand versus multiplayer only, you are missing out on tons of really entertaining games. Anarchy mode in Bulletstorm is really excellent as is the horde mode in many games that are currently out.

@ $10/hr I require a strong replay value out of a $60.00 game. Judging from the demo it didn't have that. tbh many (but not all) of those friends were interested in it in large part for the multiplayer to cause me pain and suffering in creative ways.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net

If you play them. I didn't like Invasion, I didn't like Horde, and I wouldn't have liked Anarchy. These game modes bore the pants off me, as do nearly all 'swarms of enemy' moments / modes in games, multiplayer or otherwise.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I find playing first person shooters on consoles really clunky and unintuative - I guess it's all those years playing Quakes and UT's for years with a Keyboard and mouse combo that accounts for most of my problems with console games.
I love consoles for full on arcade type games but for me, a first person shooter/Deathmatch/CTF game is always more satisfying with mouse/keyboard + the editor/modding side of it will/should only be done on a PC, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of the studio with this one.
A full Unreal sequel would be a dream project to work on and No.1 on my list but I would be equally grateful for another Unreal Tournament/Arena based game using a fresh pallet and completely different art direction.
I also agree that any Gears related stuff needs to be separated from the new game - ditch the hulking space marine look and dial it right back in to basics again - give it a more human look and feel for combatants - the real innovation comes with the type of weapons you can dream up - that's always fun.
I also loved the way the early Unreal franchise used the old medi-evil/gothic/castle and industrial themed maps - always thought that was great.
Everything looks super cluttered and detailed nowadays and stuff just gets lost in it all.
Again, dial that right back in so you can actually see your adversary again.
This could end up being a rant, so I'll leave it at that.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Yup, u1,ut1 was like ancient Greek or Rome. Simple, classic, solid and neat.
ut2,3 were like Baroque or Rococo. Details, details, and details.
Now time to try Neoclassical style, or maybe modernism/postmodernism.

S10.jpg

S08.jpg

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[GU]elmur_fud;2558376 said:
@ $10/hr I require a strong replay value out of a $60.00 game. Judging from the demo it didn't have that. tbh many (but not all) of those friends were interested in it in large part for the multiplayer to cause me pain and suffering in creative ways.
It wasn't exactly $10 per hour, but I agree that the value wasn't there at the retail launch price. However, the game has been as cheap as $5 on Steam several times, and it is well worth that price.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
If you play them. I didn't like Invasion, I didn't like Horde, and I wouldn't have liked Anarchy. These game modes bore the pants off me, as do nearly all 'swarms of enemy' moments / modes in games, multiplayer or otherwise.

GU ran many of the top ranked INV servers for UT2k4 during the game and GU's heyday. So it would stand to reason that I would like those game modes but Bulletstorm's wasn't present in the demo and the idea wasn't enough to lure any 1 else I knew.

It wasn't exactly $10 per hour, but I agree that the value wasn't there at the retail launch price. However, the game has been as cheap as $5 on Steam several times, and it is well worth that price.

Sorry I typed that on my phone in a hurry, I meant I make $10/hr at my job. 75% of a days labor to buy a game that I would probably only play once (cause without friends with the game I am unlikely to try the coop) just doesn't make sense to me when I am the sole bread winner for 3 mouths.

As far as steam goes, Valve shall have none of my money. I did see it at Best Buy on sale for 29.99 about a month ago but I didn't have the cash at the time.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[GU]elmur_fud;2558413 said:
Sorry I typed that on my phone in a hurry, I meant I make $10/hr at my job. 75% of a days labor to buy a game that I would probably only play once (cause without friends with the game I am unlikely to try the coop) just doesn't make sense to me when I am the sole bread winner for 3 mouths.
Yeah, like I said, not worth $60.
As far as steam goes, Valve shall have none of my money. I did see it at Best Buy on sale for 29.99 about a month ago but I didn't have the cash at the time.
If you're trying to avoid Steam for god knows what reason, it was on sale on Amazon a couple months ago for $5.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I have the same feeling here, that only Unreal 1 and RTNP were the "Unreal", of course they had to be coz they were the first of this "series".

Quote my post I made in EPIC forums about this new PC game:

IMO they should make another Unreal. After this 14 years we have U1, U1RTNP, UT1, U2, UC, UC2, UT2K3/4, UT3, but among all of these, only U1 and its mission pack RTNP were the true Unreal.
UT1 was like a mutated part of U1.
U2:Awakening, just like the name suggested, was not Unreal 1 sequel (because a true U2 should be called "Unreal 2"), but an "outsourcing" game having entirely different storyline. And its maker Legend Entertainment was shut down right after this project by Atari, so to me it was possibly a project Atari hoped to cash in very quickly when Unreal was really famous back then. But EPIC was too busy with UT2K3 and the new engine so they couldn't do it themselves.
UT2K3,4 and UT3 had nothing to do with the plot of original Unreal. They just made up reasons for the tournament or war-like tournament.
As for UC and UC2, IMO they just looked UT-ish.

But I still do think another Unreal is doable. EPIC can use the experiences they got from Gears to create a nice SP game with cool cinematic-driven storytelling and damn cool atmosphere. Surely they need an entirely different art direction, not Gears-ish, not UT3 version of Gears-ish, not UT2K3/4+U2-ish.
And they can make MP just like what they did for Gears, to base MP on the immersive SP and that's proved to be very successful.

Dude, I hate to burst your bubble, Unreal 2 was not a cash out for Atari, it was sadly a very ambitious project that turned into a mess by demands of Atari, but the initial concept and plans were totally different, there were cut various planets and races and on top of that, the game was meant to have a similar progress system to deus ex and impact on what you are doing plus enhanced dialogues that depend entirely on your reaction. Sadly, even though they started developing it like that, it didn't end up so (instead we got a game dumbed down for "non gamers" as they called it and made it linear and easy) and they were even forced to remove multiplayer to not hurt UT2003 sales and when Legend actually rebelled with the U2XMP(which was a reimagined gametype originally meant to be in the original U2), and didn't agree with Atari who owned them directly, Atari did shut them down and even after that, stopped the master server for U2XMP, hurting it very badly, so new master servers needed to be made by the community. Talk about a huge dickhead move by Atari.

Personally I think if Legend was more free in their developement the game would turn up much better, and I mean you should look at wheel of time, okay that game isn't the best one created by them, but it sure is the best unreal engine game created by them in the neo legend era and it was before they were acquired by infogrames, but they were already directly under GTi, even though GTi were nowhere as bad as Infogrames/Atari.

What was a money cash out from Atari was UT2K4, because it was an inconsistent mess of content brought together for the sake of having more content, yuck. UT2K4 didn't have a real developement history, it was meant to be just upgraded UT2K3 and that's it. But for me they managed to even fuck up what was unique on the UT2K3 style and of course like 4-5 studios worked on it alone and lots of content came from in progress mods and such for UT2K3 which were hired to finish it for UT2K4 retail instead. Of course it became a huge hit, but mostly due to favorable reviews and hype it received and the marketing. If you think that plays little role in game's success, well you can actually take a look back at Daikatana and how badly marketed that was in the end and through how messy developement it came. The new game programmers were crap as hell, they had actually decent programmers in there but they left the company, so it was just really really messy in the end and full of game breaking bugs, even the 1.2 patch didn't solve all of them, but you could avoid triggering some of them if you knew when they happen and how, like avoiding saving on one map so it doesn't screw up when reloading save. And of course the final game screamed playstation in its more linear, many part map chunks (which is no coincidence because it was meant to be released for both PC and Playstation or rather, PS2), but at least you could go between them, if it wasn't for the slow loading times (it is vsync which causes slow loading though since its vsync linked for some damn reason, disable vsync on your graphic card settings and it loads fast suddenly, I am not kidding). There's now a fan patch in the making (1.3) for daikatana, using the source code, so that may finally fix all the damn glitches and bring in some more variety/changes.

So, wrong/good marketing, wrong/good ads, wrong/good timing, wrong/good final decisions, etc etc, can make a popular game or a very infamous one. But what truly matters to me is the core of the content or the idea and UT2K4 to me lost on that one because it was just a huge cash out thing. Yes, it lost more for me than Daikatana, because Daikatana at least had a decent and real base and not just content thrown together for the sake of nothing (you can argue though about what the robot frogs are doing in the first level in future japan, but that's obviously something they forgot to explain, but makes sense if you think of it, because the environment is polluted so they replaced real animals with mishimas robots, of course it's not meant to be taken that serious, it all was rather tongue in cheek and fantasy and crazy, see episode 2 and 3 for most example of that, but that's not what I meant, I mean that it had some story draft, that there were efforts being put in the game although some wasted, that the idea was actually good) (although the N64 port by goddamn kemco is really painful and ugly thing and some people wrongly assumed both games played the same or were same).

Okay that derailed quite a bit, lol, but if they actually have balls to make a new Unreal game, it indeed should be fresh, or it should be a fucking reboot, because you would have to simply ignore many of the mess the tournament stories brought. If it would be a singleplayer Unreal followup instead of reboot I would say not make a direct sequel to Unreal 1 or 2, instead have it happen in different timeline altogether and perhaps bring in some origin story twist, and tie it in with the Unreal universe (in similar way like Prometheus is/was supposed to tie in with Alien), have Skaarj appear in there and perhaps Krall, have completely new creatures as I would say it should appear on a different planet, but should be important to the Unreal story, perhaps dive in more to the background, like reintroduce the "N" to the mix (a cut race from Unreal 2, very mysterious) or the Dranoel world/background tie in (if you have read the novel(s) you would know who they are and how they had a "hand" in certain events in Na Pali past) Have it a more horror/mysterious theme too altogether and end in a big revelation ending, which should leave you wondering what happened and then perhaps close it off by an expansion pack or "DLC" and shift the focus to something different in theme, different environment.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
So what are the odds for PCF as the developers on the new "PC exclusive" game? Wasn't there some hope a while ago that PCF would work on the next UT game?

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Yeah, like I said, not worth $60.

If you're trying to avoid Steam for god knows what reason, it was on sale on Amazon a couple months ago for $5.

Other then a personal disagreement with a former Valve employee, there is a very real possibility that I may have to turn off my internet to save money at some point and I don't like the idea not being able to play my games as a result. Plus solely digital distro has no appeal to me. But this is not yet another why fud hates steam thread so I digress.

I am guessing you got a physical copy in the mail from amazon unless they have digital distro that I am unaware of so I probably would have jumped on that shipping couldn't have been more then $5.00.

On topic: given the recent news collectively I would say that an MMORPG seems ultra likely as it is a primarily PC genre.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
As far as steam goes, Valve shall have none of my money.
I fail to understand why some people have this huge hatred for steam. There's a reason why it's the most successful digital distribution system.

Other then a personal disagreement with a former Valve employee
I don't find it reasonable that a personal greviance with a single employee at valve is a good basis on which to judge the whole company.

there is a very real possibility that I may have to turn off my internet to save money at some point and I don't like the idea not being able to play my games as a result.
Offline Mode. You can still play your games without a connection. That being said, if money's so tight that you have to turn off your internet, it stands to reason you shouldn't be buying video games either. I've had dire financial straits before and for me, lots of other things would go before the internet goes.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I fail to understand why some people have this huge hatred for steam. There's a reason why it's the most successful digital distribution system.

Yeah. People are a bunch of gullible sheep that will waste their money on instant gratification. I'd rather walk into a store, have a physical product, the benefit of the exercise, a product that can not be so easily taken away (read the Steam EULA), and the ability to sell it or give it to somebody else if the game blows.

I don't find it reasonable that a personal greviance with a single employee at valve is a good basis on which to judge the whole company.
It is personal but relates to one of Valves products, if I had any evidence I could probably sue for lots of money in the all too typical American fashion. I don't though, just have allot of butthurt and grudge.

Offline Mode. You can still play your games without a connection. That being said, if money's so tight that you have to turn off your internet, it stands to reason you shouldn't be buying video games either. I've had dire financial straits before and for me, lots of other things would go before the internet goes.

Doesn't work on all games though. Considering since I decided against buying the game on it's multiplayer, and I will not buy solely digital, the steam option seems a mute point.

On-topic: I hope whatever they make has an editor.

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
Dude, I hate to burst your bubble, Unreal 2 was not a cash out for Atari, it was sadly a very ambitious project that turned into a mess by demands of Atari, but the initial concept and plans were totally different, there were cut various planets and races and on top of that, the game was meant to have a similar progress system to deus ex and impact on what you are doing plus enhanced dialogues that depend entirely on your reaction. Sadly, even though they started developing it like that, it didn't end up so (instead we got a game dumbed down for "non gamers" as they called it and made it linear and easy) and they were even forced to remove multiplayer to not hurt UT2003 sales and when Legend actually rebelled with the U2XMP(which was a reimagined gametype originally meant to be in the original U2), and didn't agree with Atari who owned them directly, Atari did shut them down and even after that, stopped the master server for U2XMP, hurting it very badly, so new master servers needed to be made by the community. Talk about a huge dickhead move by Atari.

Personally I think if Legend was more free in their developement the game would turn up much better, and I mean you should look at wheel of time, okay that game isn't the best one created by them, but it sure is the best unreal engine game created by them in the neo legend era and it was before they were acquired by infogrames, but they were already directly under GTi, even though GTi were nowhere as bad as Infogrames/Atari.

What was a money cash out from Atari was UT2K4, because it was an inconsistent mess of content brought together for the sake of having more content, yuck. UT2K4 didn't have a real developement history, it was meant to be just upgraded UT2K3 and that's it. But for me they managed to even fuck up what was unique on the UT2K3 style and of course like 4-5 studios worked on it alone and lots of content came from in progress mods and such for UT2K3 which were hired to finish it for UT2K4 retail instead. Of course it became a huge hit, but mostly due to favorable reviews and hype it received and the marketing. If you think that plays little role in game's success, well you can actually take a look back at Daikatana and how badly marketed that was in the end and through how messy developement it came. The new game programmers were crap as hell, they had actually decent programmers in there but they left the company, so it was just really really messy in the end and full of game breaking bugs, even the 1.2 patch didn't solve all of them, but you could avoid triggering some of them if you knew when they happen and how, like avoiding saving on one map so it doesn't screw up when reloading save. And of course the final game screamed playstation in its more linear, many part map chunks (which is no coincidence because it was meant to be released for both PC and Playstation or rather, PS2), but at least you could go between them, if it wasn't for the slow loading times (it is vsync which causes slow loading though since its vsync linked for some damn reason, disable vsync on your graphic card settings and it loads fast suddenly, I am not kidding). There's now a fan patch in the making (1.3) for daikatana, using the source code, so that may finally fix all the damn glitches and bring in some more variety/changes.

So, wrong/good marketing, wrong/good ads, wrong/good timing, wrong/good final decisions, etc etc, can make a popular game or a very infamous one. But what truly matters to me is the core of the content or the idea and UT2K4 to me lost on that one because it was just a huge cash out thing. Yes, it lost more for me than Daikatana, because Daikatana at least had a decent and real base and not just content thrown together for the sake of nothing (you can argue though about what the robot frogs are doing in the first level in future japan, but that's obviously something they forgot to explain, but makes sense if you think of it, because the environment is polluted so they replaced real animals with mishimas robots, of course it's not meant to be taken that serious, it all was rather tongue in cheek and fantasy and crazy, see episode 2 and 3 for most example of that, but that's not what I meant, I mean that it had some story draft, that there were efforts being put in the game although some wasted, that the idea was actually good) (although the N64 port by goddamn kemco is really painful and ugly thing and some people wrongly assumed both games played the same or were same).

Okay that derailed quite a bit, lol, but if they actually have balls to make a new Unreal game, it indeed should be fresh, or it should be a fucking reboot, because you would have to simply ignore many of the mess the tournament stories brought. If it would be a singleplayer Unreal followup instead of reboot I would say not make a direct sequel to Unreal 1 or 2, instead have it happen in different timeline altogether and perhaps bring in some origin story twist, and tie it in with the Unreal universe (in similar way like Prometheus is/was supposed to tie in with Alien), have Skaarj appear in there and perhaps Krall, have completely new creatures as I would say it should appear on a different planet, but should be important to the Unreal story, perhaps dive in more to the background, like reintroduce the "N" to the mix (a cut race from Unreal 2, very mysterious) or the Dranoel world/background tie in (if you have read the novel(s) you would know who they are and how they had a "hand" in certain events in Na Pali past) Have it a more horror/mysterious theme too altogether and end in a big revelation ending, which should leave you wondering what happened and then perhaps close it off by an expansion pack or "DLC" and shift the focus to something different in theme, different environment.

The question I have is why Atari didn't give enough trust and freedom to LE to make U2 a game like they planned?
Like we always hear, bussiness is bussiness.
Many projects are like that, start off like block buster coz developers don't realize they won't be given enough time and budget to make everything they want, then one year or two goes by and they are told by their boss, this is no go, that is no go, we have to cut those features to save time and budget (that is to save money), we have to dumb it down so more casual gamers will feel interested.
Bosses always sound like they have good reasons and they want the game to be best. That's the way they motivate the developer team. Trust me I have my first hand experiences here.
And the fact is, no matter how big the original plan is, a great game gets its fame from the result, and result is made by very good management and execution.

I bought wheel of time, and I liked it. I know that game was published by GT and GT was acquired by Atari later and then U2 and LE got shut down. I had to suspect Atari did wet work in it.

UT2k4, even though it was a mess of content from different studios, was still better than UT2K3.
As I remember, UT2K3 had a lot promotion too. I still remember how exciting UT fans were when they heard anything about this game.
UT2k4 was better simply because most players felt that way. We all knew UT2K4 was an upgraded version of UT2K3, and that was what we wanted, more game modes, more maps, with latest patches, more options, and ONS was fun.
I don't care how they did it, outsource or not. Some of the best maps like DM-Rankin were outsourced.

Last edited: