Mike Capps Admits That Epic Has Been Neglecting Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Mike Capps, President of Epic Games, has admitted to IndustryGamers that Epic just hasn't been giving Unreal the time of day lately.

"We have a couple other major franchises that we've not been paying attention to. It's been a long time since we shipped an Unreal game, and it's an awfully loved franchise that we hold pretty dear here. We haven't been giving it the attention it deserves because we've been focusing on Gears of War and we're still a relatively small company,"

They say that recognizing a problem is the first step. Maybe we'll actually get to see that new Unreal series game before we die of old age!

Lopar-XL

Currently trying to mend my mind, etc.
Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
I hope so. Just imagine what an Unreal game would be like using UE3, and hopefully not with the monochromatic look with too much bloom, et al, that's in many UE3 based titles today.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
And nao that the develop of a new unreal, has been brought to our attention,
I would like to test de will of the community.

What would you prefer.

A new Unreal Tournament. Focused on multiplayer as always, (+cinematic intros+storyline, but clearly focused to the multiplayer side)

or

A new Unreal game, with the main campaign, coop mode, an storyline with cinematic intros like the experience in Gears of War, but on the unreal universe, and of course, with basic multiplayer game options. (like the first Unreal)

And second.
Independently of your tastes, what do you think the majority of gamers outside would prefer?

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Unreal, definitely. There was one Unreal game on every Engine version but UE3 so far, and right now UE3 UDK is in an awesome shape. There are a whole lot of things to tell in an Unreal game, too, since the Unreal universe was never really developed all that much, although did establish plenty of distinctive themes. The gap between Unreal games has been long enough already, too, while UT games have had quite a lot of releases in between.

Of course a UT4 a la UT2004 would be pretty neat as well, but again, I think the main Unreal series needs a new member first.

As for what others want - I'm not sure, but I do hear a whole lot of hopes for an Unreal, and not a Tournament title. In fact, I also hear quite a lot of people saying that another Tournament title might not even be desirable. So I guess, and I hope, that the odds are for the Unreal game.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I am a bit surprised they haven't renamed it Gears Engine yet, especially after the half-assing they gave UT3
I hope so. Just imagine what an Unreal game would be like using UE3, and hopefully not with the monochromatic look with too much bloom, et al, that's in many UE3 based titles today.
You haven't played Monday Night Combat or Section 8 Prejudice have you?

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
What would you prefer.

Either as long as its not another half assed mess (smothered in Bullsh*t) and does not require a controller or phone to play.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
I'd rather see another Unreal title. At this point pretty much no one in the wider gaming audience is familiar with Unreal lore.

In addition, a singleplayer game can be more creative (e.g. new weapons and other sorts of gameplay mechanics) without pissing off everyone. Furthermore, a new UT would be pretty much redundant assuming an editor were included: Players could easily port UT3 content to a new Unreal if they really wanted to try building a UT there.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Gears Engine? Since when engines need to get named after popular games?

Please more new series, thanks. Though, an Unreal game with the Samaritan features...
Or just a new UT3 because it's a really good game and made me interested again with the series after that insulting UT2k4.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I hope that they make Unreal 3 with a multi-player component. Better, I would like to see Epic create a game that portrays human colonization of the galaxy from the near future until 2200 or so, but that's me.

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
I want my god damn sequel already! I think everyone who played and finished Unreal 2 would want to continue the story.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Bring on the next thing. As much as I'd like to see a spiritual successor to the first Unreal, I'm more curious what they come up with if they start with another blank slate.

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Unreal with Unreal weapons and feel, not like the mess Unreal 2 was. At least that's what I'd choose. Also no sluggish spess muhreens.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
If it will be Unreal III, I'm pretty sure it will be a blank slate. It's just Epic's way of doing things. Their endings are always ambiguous and bitter-sweet, and never receive follow-ups, with the exception of RTNP.
Unreal had you stranded in space without fuel, RTNP had you blasting off into space with a small shuttlecraft that is again not guaranteed to take P849 anywhere safe, Unreal II also had a shuttlecraft and the whole Atlantis was destroyed, and UT3 had a death, betrayal and a promise of revenge.
None of them ever got a follow-up, even if it was easily possible to do.

Given the timeline, it would make the most sense to have Unreal III be at the start of the miner rebellions and before Unreal Tournament time. It is also always fun to make it Heroes of Might and Magic I style when it comes to references to other games from the same franchise - Unreal II already had a few, but there could be way more. Possibly revisit Na Pali, Drakk Homeworld, Liandri facilities (maybe even show the construction of the robot building facility on LBX-7683), possibly also give a background on the teams of the original Unreal Tournament, like how the Skaarj Hybrids were created or about how the Iron Guard was before the Tournaments.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
Hmm...I asked you, but i didnt said my opinion. Well, i, like the majority, would prefer an Unreal game. Like Unreal 2, multiplayer could have vehicles, and have a good slice of what ut is.

About the storyline... this is something i have been thinking in my free time for years:
The Unreal Universe has 3 big wars on his history.
The Strider Wars, on whose i dont remember who was facing the human.
The Skaarj Wars, and the Necris Wars... (who begun precisely on UT3, with the necris attaking the Earth).

Every moment, could be a good one to set a dramatic history with big battle events and a set of main characters, like Gears of War. I mean. They have big events on all of them.

And lately i have been thinking there could be an Unreal game, whose plot could develope the story that is told on the first unreal tournament game´s intro.

The story could be like this:

Humanity is exploring the universe and new worlds. The governaments simply doesnt have enough money to achive space exploration, due to financial crisis, so private sector take the control, and send ships to space. They make profit achieving to explote natural resources on other planets under the rule of: the one who first arrive to a new planet, gains the rights of his resource explotation. Certain corporations like liandri and others has luck, and arrieves to planets who make them gain billions in profit, and they finally are more powerful than governaments. ...you know, people only follow the one who pays the bills and employe them... so thats the end of the past governaments...
But the bad side is taht, in space, under no legislation, they screw human rights almost enslaving their miners. Finally the liandri corporation gain more money and build more spaceships, and on deep space, they find an space alien ship, (a necris one), for the first time with technology to make respawners, and they think they have found what humanity has been lokking for always,... the key to inmortality.
The liandri learns how to produce them, but they re very expensive to make.
There is a war, between liandri and his miners, because at first, respawners are very big and so expensive that only millonaires can achieve them, and every people (also the workers) wants to be inmortal. Is a war of course, of the rich people versus the poor, for triying to achieve the technology who could make them to live forever. At first, Liandri and his security forces are winning, because on his side, anyone who dies can respawn, an on the miner side they doesnt have respawners. At last, a warrior who fights for the miners is so good at combat who defeat continiously the enemies until the energy of the respawners are depleted (this is the main character). In the last chapter, this warrior menaces to kill the entire liandri corporation, if they doesnt share the respawner with everibody, and liandri promises to do it, when the technology gets cheaper and can make the respawners more affordable to produce. Then the hero is fooled, and ultimately even corrupted by them, to work for them, in the creation of the tournament, to have the miners controled by his exhibitions and the promise they will make respawners for all. The name of the hero is Xan Kriegor.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The Strider Wars were against the Striders, a race of biomechanical beings that are known for their combining capabilities. There are Strider Pods that are easy to kill, then the pods combine into a Strider Villain that is difficult to kill, and then the Strider Villains combine into a Strider Nemesis that is very difficult to kill. Given that the concept was for U2, those three were probably the same as Light, Medium and Heavy classes. Pods were small, so they could go through most obstacles and then reassemble Villains on the other side.

The corporations were created between Unreal I and Unreal II, so that would be quite a leap in time, also given that the Greens World Rebellion was after the time of Unreal II. The New Earth Government was also an influential force that tried to keep the corporations in line. Also, one more factual mistake that you made is that the Necris was actually created by the Phayder Corporation, not Liandri. Liandri only created robots after the Tarydium mining industry collapsed.

As for the Respawner tech part, well, that's somewhat similar to what was in UC2. And given that they could be deployed in war only around the time of UT3, it would be anachronistic. Around the time of UT1, they were probably immobile.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
there is nothing special about the unreal universe. they've retconned it any number of times such that any original storyline will never fit, and even if they did, it's pretty much the epitome of generic sci-fi. the only reason to care about a story is the characters, and unreal has none.

Nevzat

Jan 28, 2009
Cyprus
Are we get any good unreal game since Unreal Tournament if epic want to make
new unreal game or UT i hope they will pay more attention than before

look at those unreal games that they released
besides orginal unreal tournament i only enjoyed Ut 2004 because of onslaught and invasion
and unreal 2 because visually and artistically remind me unreal tournament

and UT3 biggest dissapointment i didnt play more than one month
character design are bad visually only disgusting bloom and boring gameplay
only good thing is unreal editor

Last edited: