Dishonored

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Reviews are good, Bethesda got a hit for once

I tried it at Eurogamer and wasn't overly impressed. I found that the powers in the demo were far too OTT, and as such the game lacked any kind of challenge whatsoever.

I also read in some previews that players did not understand where the hell they had to go unless you used a bit of your brain and pretending this isn't a CoD style linear corridor-after-corridor game

Reviews say the game is pretty non-linear and there are a lot of paths to take, may check this out

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I met up with Harvey at E3 this year and got to play the game and it was awesome. Glad to see Harvey and his team working on an old school game where you have the freedom to solve the mission any way you want to. Granted the man has his background from Deus Ex and System Shock I can see why the game is the way it is and not shoot everything that moves COD style.

Hopefully the first locked door in the game has the code of 0451 classic calling card of ex-looking glass devs.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've read three reviews and preloaded this bad boy. It looks like it might be a sleeper hit judging by the reviews. It's not all about the gameplay, it sounds like it actually has an engaging story where the RPG elements add to the experience. Supposedly you can finish the entire game without using any special powers.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Be warned the game can be beaten in 4 hours if you are a mental. Take your time and explore every possible outcome and you can double that length. The game also encourages at least 2 playthroughs depending on if you went stealth or Hulk.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It seems to me that you can beat the game in 4 hours by intentionally not enjoying any of it at all. Since you can run past most encounters, just keep running as fast as you can. Why even bother to play video games if you play like this...

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
It's pretty awesome so far. I've read that the heavy-steampunk setting was inspired by victorian-era London. In any case, the setting is really incredible and I feel like more games should take place in settings like this. I also like how the environment textures have a sort of watercolor or oil painting look to them; it's almost like playing a cel-shaded game like Borderlands, but without the cel-shading that makes it look like something you'd see on Cartoon Network.

The gameplay isn't bad so far. The whole 'dual wield blades and pistols' thing is kind of odd, but it seems to work. I haven't used the crossbow yet.

I started out trying to go full non-lethal but that went out the window pretty quick. The guards are pretty good at spotting you in Dishonored. So now, I just try to be as non-lethal as I can.

It seems to me that you can beat the game in 4 hours by intentionally not enjoying any of it at all. Since you can run past most encounters, just keep running as fast as you can. Why even bother to play video games if you play like this...

Pretty much my take on it. I'm not even through the sewers yet and I've already put in a solid two hours. I like to take my time.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I started out trying to go full non-lethal but that went out the window pretty quick. The guards are pretty good at spotting you in Dishonored. So now, I just try to be as non-lethal as I can.

I was watching TotalBiscuits WTF is on the game and when he got spotted he simply had to phase to an area that was higher than the guard to escape his vision :lol:

Guards apparently are bad at looking up.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Sometimes they are god like at noticing you. Other times you stand right in front of them and they are clueless.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Welp, I literally just got to that mission. I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for that...

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I've spent about an hour just playing around with severed heads. It's hilarious how people react when you carry them around, and then they scream when you hurl it at them. :lol:

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Freaking love this game. It's so easy to get sucked in when playing it. I'm going semi-non-lethal at the moment; had a hard time at the beginning, but I'm getting the hang of it. Protip: Upgrade Blink before anything else. If a guard spots me, I just blink off to some insane location and wait it out. Also upgrade your sleeping darts to combat darts, in case you can't blink away. I haven't touched the gun at all. I just use crossbow, a little sword here and there, and strangle most of my enemies. I'm eliminating the targets the indirect way and doing all the side quests. Mostly because I HATE rats (except for possession purposes). The packs of em' seriously put a thorn in my side when I have to be on the ground sneaking.

What powers is everybody relying on? I live and breathe blink, but I also use Possession and Slow Time here and there. I also picked up Agility, for when I screw up my blinks (which happens on occasion; aiming can be difficult).

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Dark Vision and its upgrade. Possession. Blink and its upgrade. Agility, and that's really all I need to be sneaky as far as powers go. I got a high chaos playthrough the first time around. I may go for a low chaos playthrough.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Agility, Blink and Dark Vision is all you need if you're sticking to non-lethal stealth. I'm almost done with the game and I've only added two other abilities and instantly regretted it considering they use so much mana. I have ten runes waiting to be used but I don't even care because I wont even use the other powers if I want to stay non-lethal.

So far I've done every mission (except the first) without alerting or killing anyone. I almost always make it my goal to knock everyone out, one by one, without being seen. Even though I could easily just sneak by everyone. Also, Dark Vision isn't really necessary, it just saves time by not needing to lean around corners.

I'll probably play a second time around and just murder the hell out of everyone. And to see how much of a difference it really has at the end of the game.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I decided to buy this half price on Steam last weekend as it has a pedigree of good names behind it's development and I'm a big fan of exploring virtual environments. The steam punk angle attracted me as well and I've seen a lot o positive reviews on this in the past six months.

I'm sure you can beat this game in super quick time but, if you explore every level and all the different routes to an objective (and stuff you can find) it will probably take a bit longer. I'm still on the first real mission and it must be four hours in.

Stealth only seems to take you so far though. It has me interested enough to keep playing it although the Dunwich Trials DLC looks like a bit of a fail (I didn't bother buying that).

New DLC drops this week with a more extensive plot line.