Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
but what about the bots ???
or is the multiplayer-side only meant for on-line games ? (That would be very bad IMHO)

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
I think there are no multiplayer bots. However, the servers seem to be bursting at the seams, so there is always competition to be found. I can only guess that the bots couldn't be taught to use the classes effectively.

I think there are also a lot of 56k types there. I would try out the Wolf MP Test #2 to see how your connection fares. It is really close to the production version (only some minor gameplay changes).

The MP is still fun because the maps are huge and confusing. As far as I've seen, every map is close to a km or two in length. Some of the maps are a little wide open, so there is some wide open warfare going on, which is a sight to see.

But I will say, if you didn't like how the Wolf Test #2 played, skip this one. Because it seems obvious that the multiplayer is where people will consistently return to.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by Monk_Zero
I think there are no multiplayer bots. However, the servers seem to be bursting at the seams, so there is always competition to be found. I can only guess that the bots couldn't be taught to use the classes effectively.
ah come on ...
even UnF-bots know a little bit about playing the different classes (medics heal, armourers build sg's ...)
so how difficult could it be for 'fulltime' programmers to do the same ?

I think there are also a lot of 56k types there. I would try out the Wolf MP Test #2 to see how your connection fares. It is really close to the production version (only some minor gameplay changes).

The MP is still fun because the maps are huge and confusing. As far as I've seen, every map is close to a km or two in length. Some of the maps are a little wide open, so there is some wide open warfare going on, which is a sight to see.

But I will say, if you didn't like how the Wolf Test #2 played, skip this one. Because it seems obvious that the multiplayer is where people will consistently return to.
I've got cable, so finding a decent connection shouldn't be a real problem finding a fast server.

But I really would have like to see bots in there, because that would have meant I could practice the MP-maps on my own before joining a server.

I've seen the RTCW:MP Test#1 ... and I can't say I really liked that one. And with 'only' 8 maps in the retail-version that's pretty pathetic.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Yeah, the map count really pales when you compare it to UT and Q3, but those were fulltime online games - this one is just online as a feature. I didn't notice that they included a map editor. It may be some time before we see some additional maps.

As for the bots, I just don't know. And you're right that other class based games do this better - and they have more complicated classes. Maybe they ran out of time.

The single player game is moving along. They jumped into the supernatural element alot faster than I had hoped. I wonder if they will be able to keep it fresh for much longer?

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Nice find there. Glad to see there isn't much of a learning curve from Q3 to RTCW. The map looks fantastic.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Well, having finished the single player game at medium difficulty, I have to say I am a little disappointed. They had some nice sequences, but the number of cheap enemies and the fairly weak boss encounters is a serious strike against it.

Spoilers ahead

There was also a curiously short (and weak) ending. I just don't understand it. They have all the buildup for the final encounter, and he was a strafe-prone weakling. And then he just explodes into a few gibs and that's it? How about a quick cinema or something. Instead, just the board (bored) room and a mildly funny action scene. Very disappointing.

And the super snipers at the end were real pains in the ass. They could see you the minute they have a LOS on you. I tried creeping up to them with the nightvision scope and they still got the first shot off.

And don't get me started on the Super Soldats with the Panzerfausts. Cheap.

Also disappointing is that I came to realize every single multiplayer map is just the single player maps with some slight changes in them. I can only conclude that they ran out of time (or felt the crunch of Medal of Honor) and jumped out with what they could. I only hope they are working on a bonus pack with a whole bunch of maps to give the official game some legs. Because if feels lacking right now.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I smell a huge patch & expansion pack ...
something like TeamArena for Q3A (= a lot of stuff that should have been in Q3A in the first place IMHO)

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Yeah, this is the same taste. Just not up to snuff, and I expect those are going to be even more glaring when Medal of Honor comes out. Of course, I could be wrong.

One thing, although I do fault them with including so few maps, and maps that are usually direct ports of the single player levels, they are well paced and a great deal of fun. The train yard has some spectacular push and pull, as both the defenders and attackers can lose if certain objectives are destroyed, so everyone is on their toes. The classes balance well enough. But they really need to get some map packs done and ready for download. This won't fly for long.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
if it is boring than even trying to get a warez-version is a waste of time ...