For Those Interested in a Freelancer Sequel

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think the point here is that FreeSpace 3 needs to be made immediately.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
I would be really surprised if you actually got a meaningful answer out of them through personal communication. It'll likely not happen.

They sent me a letter once.
I told them they owed me $150.00.
When I had to reformat my PC, after I installed Halo.

Must have cost $200.00 in legal fees to type it out :lol:

Hmmmm. I wonder if Epic would send me a letter.

Bookmarked

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Well, I have not received an email from Microsoft. They obviously just shoved my request to the side. Should I follow up with another call?

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Well, I have not received an email from Microsoft. They obviously just shoved my request to the side. Should I follow up with another call?

Don't settle for small, you should pay them a visit and make your position clear to them. Force always helps, btw.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The problem is that EVE came along and proved to be everything FreeLancer wasn't and should have been.

Yep - pretty much.
Eve blew everything out of the water way back in 2003 and still has this genre wrapped up tight.
A new Freelancer would have to be something monumental to take that crown.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
EVE may have plot, but it's not a plot-based game.

A new Freelancer would have to be something monumental to take that crown.

Yes and no. There's no way any game will match EVE in sheer scale. Not an MMO, not a story-based game, nothing.

But, I don't think they should try to beat EVE in scale, but if they aim it in more of a plot-focused direction, then there's an opening there. EVE may be many things, but plot-based it ain't. FreeLancer was heavily plot-based, but still had that heavy action element, and that's the way a sequel should aim itself.

The formula worked, there's no reason it can't work again. The framework of the game just has to be better scaled. I don't see why a GTA-style framework wouldn't work, it's similar to the way FreeLancer worked originally, but the scale of the game just has to be tweaked to make it feel more plausible.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
EVE is just fundamentally broken, because your skills are based only on how long you have paid a membership, not how much you play, or how how well you play. just how long you've maintained a subscription.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
It's still the only game that has a real, working world.

EVE is just fundamentally broken, because your skills are based only on how long you have paid a membership, not how much you play, or how how well you play. just how long you've maintained a subscription.

To an extent, but at the same time, you learn exponentially slower the more skills you have. So new starters gain skills at a much quicker rate.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
To an extent, but at the same time, you learn exponentially slower the more skills you have. So new starters gain skills at a much quicker rate.

Doesn't matter because the guy 6 months ahead of you still has maxed out learning skills AND 3 tiers of bb, ECM and hac more than you.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
It's still the only game that has a real, working world.

Mmmmm, I really doubt that. :hmm:

Bitches never played DarkStar One.

There was a point in my excitement for space sims that I tried like 5 different space sim games, some of them indie. I couldn't find any that I liked. I didn't try DarkStar One though, but I did read about it and heard it was like FL but FL was still slightly better.

Last edited: