How can i manage the database of UE2?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

freddy83

Oct 2, 2009
How can i manage the database of unreal engine 2 runtime demo?
Can i use Mysql?
Someone help me please!
Thanks!

freddy83

Oct 2, 2009
i want move the object without the editor, using an external program (java).
I've made this with opensim and the secondlife viewer, to move the object i modify the coordinates in the SQL Database with a PHP interface.
With the same technique (PHP) i can link an object with a web page( PHP) in which i can put an image, video.... or a web page to post comments about the object. Now i want to make the same using UE2 runtime as engine instead of opensim and secondlife viewer.
I don't know if i explained the problem clearly, but Do you think it's possible to do that?
Thanks

INFECTED

Oct 3, 2009
[SAS]Solid Snake;2375618 said:
It is 'possible', but you'll have to use Unrealscript and C++ (or another machine compilable language) to do it. I'm not going to explain it here.

Solid can you explain clearly please? I work with Freddy83 on a project for our University and we need to know these informations.... sorry for our insistence but we have many troubles for this! :)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I'm pretty sure the Runtime demo license does not allow you to use "native" C++ code. If anything, you could probably implement your code in UnrealScript and communicate with an external process via the TcpLink or UdpLink classes.

INFECTED

Oct 3, 2009
Yes guys, but how can we move objects without editor if we can't access directly to the database where objects are stored?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Did you look at the available source code at all? Things like "SetLocation" or "Velocity" relatively quickly pop into view if you look at existing code for moving things.

INFECTED

Oct 3, 2009
Exactly Solid Snake, you got to the core of the matter! Is it possible?

However guys, many thanks for you support!

INFECTED

Oct 3, 2009

And in which way if I can't access directly to database? Sorry but this point isn't well clear

Moreover, if I launch a server and I'm able to modify an object, can I see it in the map in real-time, or must I restart the server?

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I'm sorry if I don't understand your request, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

A game is no database. Objects exist in a level and you can modify those objects. One property of an object is its location, and by applying common sense, you can easily answer your last question yourself: If you play, you move around the map. The player is yet another object in the map. Does a server restart every time a player moves?

I can only repeat what I said in post #9: Go and have a look at the freely available source code, it contains the answers to all your questions.

INFECTED

Oct 3, 2009
I'm sorry if I don't understand your request, but it doesn't seem to make much sense.
A game is no database. Objects exist in a level and you can modify those objects. One property of an object is its location, and by applying common sense, you can easily answer your last question yourself: If you play, you move around the map. The player is yet another object in the map. Does a server restart every time a player moves?
I can only repeat what I said in post #9: Go and have a look at the freely available source code, it contains the answers to all your questions.
Ehm, sorry, I'm italian and the project we are working on is enough complex and it's even more difficult for me to explain it in another language but I'll try to be clearer:

we must build a virtual world for archaeological applications in which we can manage objects. This virtual world must reflect at any time what happens in the real world: for example, if an archaeologist is on an archaeological site (corresponding to our virtual world) and he finds a jar, he must be able to add it to our virtual world (running on a server), for example with a client application written in Java maybe running on his handheld, and we believe this is possible only if this application is able to interface directly to database where objects are stored. Another example: the same archeologist want to move an object (e.g. an artifact) in the scenario without editor, we believe this is possible always only with the same tecnique, that's accessing directly to a database.

I hope I was clearer this time.... any suggestions to manage these objects? Is there a way?

Thanks a lot again!

Last edited:

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
This seems pretty much impossible to do. All Unreal based engines use Maps, which store the locations, object types, etc in binary data. There is no "database". Unless you can understand the algorithm (which is pretty much impossible without having the C/C++ source) in which they save the locations in those files, it would be impossible to do it.

There is no way to access objects outside of the editor without using the game. However... this might be a somewhat doable thing... if you have a dedicated PC though

One way though is to have a dedicated box running the game constantly and have UnrealScript (Unreals Scripting Language) open up a TCP port that listens for connections. You could then tell it to place a new object here or there. This would require quite a bit of vector math to find the locations of everything and place it correctly. You would also then need it to save out into a file for locations if you wanted it to save it if the game was shut down.

Im sure that just confused the waffles out of you, but i hope it helps. Do as Wormbo says and download this

That is the UScript source. It can help you in making the project.

Last edited: