I need some help badly...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

·s¥n·Jihad

Leader of the ·s¥n·dicate
Nov 22, 2000
Visit site
Over the past day and a half or so, I've been getting crazy ping spikes in UT. I'm on a Dual T3 network here at my school, and up until now, it has worked fantastic. In fact, my downloads are still in the 1.5-4.0Mbit range, hence my consernation.

What happens is I'll join a server at a great ping, like 40 in F1 to SwineOnline or around 80 to our Denver server. Then every 15 seconds or so, it'll spike. Sometimes to 180 or so, other times to upwards of 300+. It always comes back down though.

So, I thought, alright, maybe it's Napster at my college. Well, if that were the case, I'm still getting awesome bandwidth, very consistent downloads, no starting or stopping.

Then I figured, maybe it's Napster on the Internet. So I decided to run some tests on my IP to determine if I am getting ping spiking across the board. Here are the results of that test:

374898.jpg

As you can clearly see, the pings on my network are great. (NOTE: My own computer cannot be pinged because the university blocks it) Both sets of hops look fantastic.

So I am at a loss. It seems isolated to UT, since I've also conducted tests on the Qwest website, our provider, and the network looks great. Can anyone help me with this? These spikes are terrible, even with a good ping for 10 seconds, a 4-second spike can ruin any game. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·s¥n·Jihad

Leader of the ·s¥n·dicate
Nov 22, 2000
Visit site
Query: trace
Addr: *.120.165.*

Run Another Test

Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to dhcp*.resnet.unt.edu (*.120.165.*)

1 dal-edge-07.inet.qwest.net (205.171.25.54) 0 msec 0 msec 132 msec
2 129.120.15.193 100 msec 4 msec 200 msec
3 129.120.15.193 200 msec 200 msec 204 msec
4 129.120.255.230 200 msec 28 msec 88 msec
5 dhcp*.resnet.unt.edu (*.120.165.*) 84 msec 204 msec 8 msec

It looks like the problem IS inside the Qwest backbone. :( Anyone have any ideas how long these latency problems usually last?

|H|Alarion

Neighborhood godless fragger
Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
OMG! J actually posted on PUF!!!

O
M
G
!
!

Anyhoo, try running some traceroutes to the servers in question.
From that trace you posted, it definately looks like Qwest has some major issues that they need to rectify.

I have the same kind of problems with the Roost, and that has lasted for damn near 2 months. There are three sprintlink routers that I ping 200-400 to.

I would recommend you run some more traceroutes (run one to swineonline, one to the Denver server, one to yahoo and maybe teamplay east ) so you get a nice range of values, and send them *all* to Qwest's tech support. I haven't looked, but most ISPs have some sort of contact details for reporting net problems. Whether they actually act on it is a different story altogether though =/

Anyhow, there is a good chance that the problem will be fixed very soon, but it's not a 100% chance.

I hope you get going back to full speed.. err ping.. buddy :)

/me humps Yeehad's leg :D