UT with DSL problems. Choppy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Ok, first I will give you my comp stats.
Dell Dimension PII400, 3dfx 3500 tv with 128 megs of sdram. I recently got an external dsl modem. A flowpoint 2200 and a 10/100 network card for it. I have 400 upload and 200 download. (or vice versa, i cant remember) Now, here is the problem. UT is mad choppy when i play it online now. It was perfect when i had a 56k modem. (but lagged) All and all, the game ran smooth. But now, it is horrible online! my ping is 80 and the whole game skips. Sound, noise, frames, everything skips like hell. I have 80% resources free too. Its like something is eating at my processor. If you dont understand, just think about walking and blinking your eyes real fast. Thats what i mean about the game being choppy. Why is this happening? PLEASE email me if you know what it might be? webmaster@animeparadise.net

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Check to make sure you don't have TWO UT's running.. I had that exact problem (once). I can't seem to be able to alt+tab out of UT, so you may have to Esc to the UT desktop, then window'ize it. Then hit ctrl+alt+del and see if you have two running.

I bet that'll fix it... (least I hope it will).

bullet2.gif

You know your worth when your enemies praise your architecture of aggression.
nguid:167703 & 453406

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
I only have one open. It was one of the first things I checked. Aint this a mo'fo /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Oh, i should be a little bit more detailed.
When i run UT alone on my comp, it is FLAWLESS. Its only when i want to play internet games. Thats when i have the problem. The whole comp seems to get messed up

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Do you have any kind of firewall software setup?

I've seen this type of thing online when too many players join a server (least that's when it seems to happen). It gets all wierd and the ping goes to 4000+

When you're in one of those games, hit F6 to pull up your netstat.. see what your ping is.

bullet2.gif

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
no firewall at all.
i shut everything else off. Like i said in my first post, i have at least 80% resources free and have a ping of 80. Basically, it seems the my comp starts to drag when i wanna play an internet game with unreal and UT. This happened after i got DSL. What irony.

Jack

Feb 11, 2000
Visit site
Same thing keeps happening to me...My ping times in the server browser are fine, but no matter what server I join, my ping shoots through the roof and the game lags like mad...I have a 640k DSL connection...So frustrated.

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
But my ping is not and i repeat NOT the problem. Its a constant 80. My whole comp seems to slow down drastically

drumber

Nov 10, 1999
North Hollywood, Ca., USA
Is this just in UT or do other games run choppy too?

You probably already did this but just in case, make sure the option in network preferences is set to dsl. You might also try some different netspeeds. Sounds like your getting packet loss, which wouldn't affect your ping but still makes the game choppy. Hit the F6 key to get your net stats while in an online game and see if the packet loss is staying at zero (or real close to it). Sometimes raising or lowering the netspeed can help this.

This sight has a program I downloaded that tripled my dsl download speeds. Might help to smooth things out a little bit.
http://home1.gte.net/awiner

Mohawk

Feb 13, 2000
www.kolumbus.fi
I had same problem with Q2 engine games (Q2 and Half-Life) when I connected my lan to internet. I tried Win95/98, ISDN/ADSL but Q2 engine games were very slow, like playing with 14Kb modem. They worked fine in lan only. SoF and every DirectX games seems to work fine in internet. I uninstalled Q2 and HL - /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Welp, i tried everything. Even configuring the network card to half duplex. That just ceased my comp from starting up all together! I tried every other speed as well. Well, packet loss would be a problem, but unfortunatel its not in this cause. When I minimzed UT while on a internet game, I find my whole computer is slowed up. (even on normal unreal) This is too F*** up for me

drumber

Nov 10, 1999
North Hollywood, Ca., USA
Try changing the game engine cache in advanced options to about two thirds of your ram. Then before you go online hit ctrl alt del and close everything except explorer and systray.

Sorry if that's stuff you already tried but it's all I can think of. That really sucks, I hope you get it worked out. GL!

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
yeah, unfortunately I tried all of that. God herself (yes, god is a women cause no man would ever do this!!! ;p)
does not like me ;p

NJChris

Feb 14, 2000
Pompton Lakes, NJ USA
Visit site
Are you using a 3500TV Voodoo card? If so there is an issue with WebTV and On-Line gaming. It becomes choppy. If you get Win98SE it will fix the problem, otherwise check out windows updates for any web tv fixes. Otherwise you can uninstall Web-Tv for now and see if that helps.

bullet2.gif

-Chris

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
why yes. i do have the Voodoo3 3500 TV card.
but no win98 SE. Hmm..it doesnt happen to be free...does it?

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
To add to my statement before, this only started to happen immediately after I got DSL. Otherwise online gamming was fine with my 56k modem

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
I'm thinking your Network card may be having some kind of unreported IRQ or Memory Address conflict with your video card.

It's ENTIRELY possible this is responsible for everything.

Try moving your NIC down a slot (or up).. preferably further away from your AGP video card.

Also, try a different NIC (remember to write down all your settings).

bullet2.gif

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
umm...i dont quite understand (aside from moving the card itself) Im not much of a tech when it comes to this kind of thing
whats an NIC? ^^;;

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
actually that's what I meant..

NIC=Network Interface Card

Just physically remove it from it's current slot and plug it in a different one. (further away from the AGP slot).

That should make the BIOS assign it a different IRQ/Address.

If that doesn't help. Try replacing the NIC.

bullet2.gif

nguid:453406