UTXMP 100% Useless.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneblind

/\°§pèçtré
Mar 18, 2004
www.clanalpha.net
I have no idea how or why this even happened, or what I could have done that could have caused this disaster, but now whenever I launch UTXMP, it brings me to the usual UTXMP 3D logo screen with the music playing, and I no matter what buttons I press, I cannot get to the menu at all. Completely clueless about how to solve this, I decided to go ahead and press alt + tab and minimize UTXMP so I can try to diagnose the problem, and guess what? Minimizing UTXMP causes my entire computer to reboot.

A couple of days before all of this had happened, the main menu was accessible and I could play the game just fine, but exiting the game caused a system reboot though; seems like the problem somehow worsened...now the game is not even accessible.

I am stumped; I have been playing this since it just came out; now it suddenly decides to flick me off and stop working. I tried looking in the UTXMP folder and see if the key to access the main menu has been changed, and I cannot even find where the key binds are.

Anyone have any ideas?

If this helps any, I have recently defragged my C and D drive; my 40GB hard drive is divided into two partitions; UT2k4 and UTXMP are installed in the C drive along with all of my other programs and system files; the D drive is what I use for storage. You know, .mp3 files, program installation files, pictures, etc. I have also scanned my entire computer with Adaware SE and got rid of the usual tracking cookies and a couple spyware programs, scanned the computer for viruses with AVG, and checked and repaired my system registry with Registry Medic. I follow this routinely all of the time; nothing happened with any of my games or UTXMP during the first weeks that I played it. This is weird.

Well, I do not play UT2k4 at all; I only have it just for UTXMP, so if this problem is not correctable, I could free 6.06GB from my hard drive. -_-;

Seriously, I need help; the last thing I want is to have 6.06GB of wasted space on my hard drive, especially with a great beta and an awesome game such as UTXMP.

Help!

dutch_gecko

Think Pink
Jun 16, 2004
www.dutch-gecko.co.uk
Despite the error checking that you've listed, this does sound like a more serious problem with your system. Have you run bog-standard chkdsk on it too?

If that turns up clean, and you have faith in your hard drive, you could try reinstalling ut2k4. Boring and tedious, but it may work.

Stoneblind

/\°§pèçtré
Mar 18, 2004
www.clanalpha.net
Reinstalled.

I resentfully went and deleted the UTXMP and reinstalled it; turns out that it worked perfectly; the game now runs like butter again; as much as I hated going through the process of setting up all of the key and speech binds all over again, at least it works now. Good thing I kept a backup .ini file so I did not have to set up all of my graphic and game options again. :p

Anyways, problem solved.

I have no idea whether or not the problems were caused by the game; I do not think the video drivers were the issue because I reinstalled them and nothing happened; I doubt it has anything to do with hardware since it runs perfectly fine now; it could have been because of my routine system checkups, but I doubt it, since it worked just fine a day or so before, and back then, I did the same routine.

Just a note to the Free Monkey monkies; you guys might want to look into this a bit and check to see if you find anything that could cause this. I doubt this could be a common problem. Might have been just me. ;P

Skipr

Apr 1, 2004
Stone, its not UTXMP, its UT2K4 in general. There was a giant thread about it in the MSI motherboard forums, it was a videocard driver they finally figured out

Stoneblind

/\°§pèçtré
Mar 18, 2004
www.clanalpha.net
I never heard about that Skip; is the problem strictly about the video card driver alone, or is it something that can be corrected by say, a new UT2k4 patch, for example? o.o

heavy_wargod

destructive poppets!!
Nov 25, 2004
well I think that you configured the controls and when you clicked the wrong button you might pushed 'escape' and when you did that you made that 'escape' to have that function instead of opening your menu. might be fixable when you delete your UTXMPuser.ini file and/or the user.ini of UT2004.

Last edited:

Skipr

Apr 1, 2004
well, for some reason, I can not access anything either. It just sits there with the logo spinning.

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
Skipr said:
well, for some reason, I can not access anything either. It just sits there with the logo spinning.

When this happens, press the ~ (tilde) key then type:

showmenu

Then go find the "Menu" bind in the input controls and map
it back to Escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.