Physical Unreal Tournament Copies?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Damn I miss those big boxes for PC games.

Me too mate. Buying a game used to be a real event; like LPs back in the day or even CDs. Digital downloads are great of course, but they do lack that physical presence which used to accompany a game. I used to pore over the manuals, box art...even the CDs had some cool looks to them.

Ah well. Things move on. They do take up a bit of space though.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, 2004 Chinese Editions!

Pretty cool update.

These just came in, sealed. Too bad...I am interested in what's inside. To open them or not....?

IMG_7542.jpg

IMG_7544.jpg

IMG_7548.jpg

IMG_7549.jpg

Just in!

IMG_7583.jpg

IMG_7584.jpg

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Well, I just got a great gift from a very kind Mr. Victor Delacroix! Big, big thanks my friend...

IMG_7592.jpg

IMG_7593.jpg

IMG_7598.jpg

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Last one - darn hard to find - arrived today...new and sealed.

IMG_7722.jpg

I have to say that "Unreal-ized" Chinese looks pretty cool!

e8e01c6a-afe9-4234-a06b-a2ff2ac316f5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hal

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Wow, impressive to get all four. I have two of them sealed in box.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
More Chinese editions! The UT isn't as beat up as it looks; it is still sealed and the plastic has gotten 'foggy'.

IMG_7760.jpg

IMG_7761.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7767.jpg

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
New arrivals. First, this....

IMG_7911.jpg

Not a lot on the CD: fact sheet, logo (PSD), some screenshots and a press release. Historical value I guess.

Then....UT in Greek!

IMG_7912.jpg

IMG_7913.jpg

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Just arrived. UT 2003 from Israel and Japan. Had to scan the Japanese edition...camera has issues it seems.

IMG_7918.jpg

IMG_7916.jpg

IMG_7919.jpg

IMG_7920.jpg

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Is it sacrilegious to repackage them with the clear plastic? Does that ruin the genuineness or value of packaged collectibles? I would assume that's only the case if original copies had stickers on the plastic or something.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Yes, one generally doesn't want items to be shrink-wrapped if they weren't from the outset. It can be a blessing however if retailers put sale stickers on the product; the plastic will keep that crap off the box. Sale stickers are notoriously hard to remove and devalue an item significantly in which case plastic wrapping - so long as it isn't damaging to the corners by being too tight - is acceptable. Stickers are pretty much guaranteed to be after production and not done officially so having them on plastic and easy to remove is a plus.

Boxes that have been sealed with stickers over the lid would not have been shrink-wrapped and seeing them as such is clearly aftermarket which is not really desirable. Anything could be inside and yet as a collector I don't want to open it to see. A real conundrum. The Japanese UT2003 was wrapped from the outset, so no problem and I only have 2 other boxes that are legitimately wrapped so I have been able to avoid this question generally.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Well, after long last the search is over. I finally found a sealed big box Unreal from - in - Korea. As you might know, I have the original CD (the '1997' odd duck) but had lost the box over the many years. It took 2 years to find what seriously might be the last unopened copy in this country and here it is...

IMG_7935.jpg

IMG_7936.jpg

The game originally shipped here without any cover art on the CD. The writing on the box is the same as on the English version, just translated.

I got it as part of a set from a guy who used to own a PC game store but closed it. He was selling this stuff out of his house. Here is the set I bought:

IMG_4492.jpg

All sealed Korean versions.

The UT2003 is very cool; a silver box. Not tin, just silver.

IMG_7937.jpg

Note the UT "3 pack". Massive box: 3 copies of the game CDs, 1 manual and stickers. Odd. For PC rooms, I suppose.

IMG_7922.jpg

IMG_7925.jpg

I already had TU and the Unreal 2 Special Edition, but the rest are nice additions to the collection. But the sealed local Unreal is a crown jewel!

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I guess it wouldn't be possible for the local Unreal to be slightly pre-release would it? It's just I remember the playing the "pc gamer" pre-release version of Unreal and it was on a computer of a store owner too.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
No Leo. My original Unreal CD - the same as the one in the box pictured - was discussed at length over at OU (Delacroix had a look at the .ISO as well) and while it is a bit unusual, it isn't anything too significant.

Last edited:

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Hold on Carbon.

Aren't your 4 Unreal holographic boxes the same? As I believe the pictures on each side of the CD sleeve to be the ones shown in your photo. I could be wrong.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Not sure what you mean. "Holographic boxes"? You mean the 4 Unreal boxes? Well, they are the same except for the CD sleeve art. Unreal was released in 12 'versions', if you also count the Mac boxes. There were 4 different CD cover art versions with the inset alcove box (the ones pictured above), the same 4 versions with the sleeve art just printed on the box (see below) and 4 Mac versions, again with the sleeve art differing. The boxes themselves however, are the same for each version.

No alcove edition:

Unreal20No20Alcove.jpg~original

Last edited:

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Not sure what you mean. "Holographic boxes"? You mean the 4 Unreal boxes? Well, they are the same except for the CD sleeve art. Unreal was released in 12 'versions', if you also count the Mac boxes. There were 4 different CD cover art versions with the inset alcove box (the ones pictured above), the same 4 versions with the sleeve art just printed on the box (see below) and 4 Mac versions, again with the sleeve art differing. The boxes themselves however, are the same for each version.

No alcove edition:

Unreal20No20Alcove.jpg~original

12 versions of the game were made available? That's insanity no matter which way you look at it. No wonder the Unreal games have never made money upon release. Then again, the competition was a major part of this. The holographic boxes look beautiful somewhat and I've seen several copies passing hands online in mint and sometimes sealed condition.

The best one is the 4th release which shows a Skaarj Trooper jumping towards the camera. The colours look stunning:

61TJFPWXN8L.jpg

Despite these, I much prefer the one we have here in the UK, because I'm biased and find that even though it lacks the visual candy of the American releases, it looks far more menacing and aggressive:

U_6673_1115127184_Unreal-Euro-F.jpg

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I agree...the UK version is 'tougher' looking, but the US release is a pretty cool box! The alcove was quite different at the time. I only have one of the non-alcove releases; they are hard to find.

My parents are still in the UK so I had the UK version early as well as the Korean release. It is interesting that the US alcove box is so much bigger than all of the others; the non-alcove box pictured above is similar in size to the UK and Korean boxes; the US release is actually very big.

But yes, 12 different versions...very hard on the collectors as well! :)