Ps2rate

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nugler

Apr 16, 2000
Indiana
Visit site
Yeah, the Rev. is right. May not be the cheapest route, but it is the best solution. I used ps2rate with my old balled mouse, and didn't see that much difference between using ps2rate and not using it. Then I got a usb mouse and it is so much more responsive. Had to move my mouse sensitivity in UT down to 2.5 from 8.

But to answer your question, that link worked for me. Try it again. If it doesn't work stick ps2rate in Google and you'll get a ton of download locations.

Nugler

Apr 16, 2000
Indiana
Visit site
Originally posted by SiR_CharLZ
I am a PS2 mouse type of guy. I have tried most flavors of USB and have not had good success... MS IntelliMouse is the shiznat

I have the MS Intellieye, not the explorer. Basically, it's the IntelliMouse without a ball, but it's usb. With this you can have you shiznat and eat it too. :D

SiR_CharLZ

Aug 21, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
ya

The explorer sux big time for gaming because it is so bulky. Its gotta be sleek and ready to rumble. The one you mentioned felt pretty good physically but I had movement problems with it.

"The hassle-free mouse with an eye for precision.
Do you have an uncooperative mouse? Does it skip and jam and cause frustration? Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical is the solution. We’ve replaced that old-fashioned mouse ball with an IntelliEyeTM optical sensor that tracks movement 1,500 times per second —providing smooth and precise motion. No mouse ball means no moving parts to clean or wear down. And,the optical sensor is sealed in to keep out the dirt and lint that can cause a traditional mouse to skip or jam. "

I would be in the middle of a shootout and the next thing i know im staring at the ground! Also, when programs load or the cpu gets maxed out the pointer would skip around the screen. I have a 1ghz dell 4100 so I know its not a lack of umphh on my system end. You dont have these problems?

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
I've been having issues with my optical mouse lately...sometimes in the middle of a game my character looks up and the screen starts to spin fast. Like the dudes paticipating in one of those ice skating events and did one of those triple lutz or something.
Anyway this is rare but annoying.
If you have a logitech Ps2 mouse I know their software allows you to set the refresh rate to 200Mhz. That's the most you can get with the utility too. If you don't have a logitech mouse then dude go get one:D

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Originally posted by OshadowO
I've been having issues with my optical mouse lately...sometimes in the middle of a game my character looks up and the screen starts to spin fast

That's a known bug with MS Intellimouses. It happens when you move your mouse to quick. You can prevent this by speeding up your mouse in UT.

SiR_CharLZ: You can get PS2 Rate from here

Oh, and welcome to PuF. :)

Probotector

über f00l
Mar 6, 2001
Sweden, m00!
proboserv.mine.nu
I have switched from an optical MS intellimouse to an MS intellimouse explorer. The first times i played UT with my old optical mouse the "looking-up" bug occured to me too but i just switched my mousepad to a one-colored one. It's not very smart to use a mousepad with some sort of pattern with an optical mouse. If you have optical switch to a one-colored mousepad and all is well. I've NEVER had any problems since i switched my mousepad and I love my explorer. I don't think it's bulk, maybe at first i though so but after one or two hours that feeling went away.

USB optical roxors your boxors! :D

[ReZ]BullDog

Feb 6, 2001
Bristol, UK
rezerection.moonfruit.com
I suddenly started getting that lock up prob too with my MSI mouse. I changed mobo and processor recently and put it down to USB latency probs in BIOS. Put mouse back into PS2 and it sorted the prob.
Too many crucial moments missed in matches to allow that lock up to happen.

As for it being bulky....it works for me cause of big hands.
I would love to try the boomslang but don't wanna shell out £70+ for summat that might not suit me. Don't really wanna go back to a balled mouse either.

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Originally posted by OshadowO
I've been having issues with my optical mouse lately...sometimes in the middle of a game my character looks up and the screen starts to spin fast. Like the dudes paticipating in one of those ice skating events and did one of those triple lutz or something.
Has to do with the surface the mouse is on. If it's shiny and/or is not a solid color (has drawings/patterns on it) you'll get this problem. Switch to a cloth-single color mousepad. Problem solved.
:)

[edit] ewwwps, Probotector beat me to it :) [/edit]

LittleFlower

Jun 14, 2000
NL
www.fce2.de
I won't comment on differences between mouse X and mouse Y. You can't compare apples and oranges. And I agree that optical devices are much nicer than mechanical devices. But I wanna make this remark:

PS2 with the sample frequence set to 200 Hz is noticably smoother than the same device connected via USB with a sample frequency of 125 Hz !!

I happen to have 2 logitech MarbleMouse trackballs. Exactly the same thingies. One is about a year older than the other. The old one only does ps2. The new one does USB, and comes with a converter connector USB->PS2. I connected both to my PC at the same time. Then I could play UT, and switch instantaneously between the two trackballs. And it was very obvious that the old 200 Hz PS trackball was a lot smoother than the new 125 Hz USB trackball. This proves the point to me, PS2 rules. No USB-only devices for me !